Doug Fraser

Default 12v Trigger on Integra 9.1 Surround Sound Receiver

I am in the process of building a isolation power conditioner for my
home theater set-up. I would like to have some of the outlets
switched based on the 12 v trigger from Integra 9.1 receiver.

Does any one know what the current source capability of this trigger
is?

I was considering using it to drive a 12v relay. The 12-volt relay
would then switch 115v, which in turn would feed into a 115v relay
with 20 amp contacts. The reason to cascade the two relays is that I
suspect that the 12 v trigger can only source small amounts of current
and I suspect that a 12 v relay with 110 contacts would require quite
a bit of current.

I am also thinking of adding a small RC circuit with a 2 or 3 second
time constant (on the 12 v line) to delay the turn on of the other
outlets.

Any thoughts on this would help.

regards,
Doug
Engineer

Doug Fraser wrote:

I am in the process of building a isolation power conditioner for my
home theater set-up. I would like to have some of the outlets
switched based on the 12 v trigger from Integra 9.1 receiver.

(snip)

No quite sure what you are doing but it looks like you want
to power up the main system via the isolation unit when a
small receiver goes on.

I did something like this in my system. The twin passive
sub-woofer amplifier (a Yamaha M4) took too much power for
the switched AC outlet on the receiver so I used this 120
VAC to close a power relay (120 VAC coil) that switched the
M4 on. The contacts were all rated at over 10 amps, IIRC,
but I wired a pair in parallel just to be sure. I forget
the part number but the relay was a common industrial type
that cost CDN$22.00 a couple of years ago.

Of course, it requires the receiver to have a switched AC
outlet.

I am also thinking of adding a small RC circuit with a 2 or 3 second
time constant (on the 12 v line) to delay the turn on of the other
outlets.

Not sure why you would want to do this - unless I've misread
the project objectives.

Any thoughts on this would help.

regards,
Doug

Cheers,

Roger
--
Roger Jones, P.Eng.
Thornhill, Ontario,

"Friends don't let friends vote Liberal"
Doug Fraser

Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

To address a few questions that have been raised....

The reason for the time delay is that I would like to power up my
subwoofer amp (Crown K2) last. I have a parametric EQ between the
Surround Sound Processor and the Sub amp. The idea is to avoid turn
on thumps.

With respect to the bill of goods.... I have not been sold a bill of
goods. I don't believe that I will hear any difference with or with
out the isolation. I am doing it for one reason. I am an EE and this
is my hobby. I also have a hum in my sub and believe me, I have tried
almost every thing to figure out where it is coming from. I have
isolators on the cable TV inputs (for FM and cable to the TV - I have
a composite video connection from the Surround Sound Processor to the
TV). I am using Rane's Balance Buddies to for isolation and level
conversion (consumer to pro levels) on the sub line to the parametric
EQ and then on to the Crown K2. I have plugged every thing into a
single 20 amp cct with a dedicated ground to the distribution panel.
I now want to play and see what an isolation transformer buys me.

I also am adding transient supression into the power conditioner.
While I have never had a problem with transients - remember it's my
hobby.

Doug