Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] alice@fearofdolls.com is offline

Default 16" vinyl - need turntable

Are there any turntables that are not rare and expensive that could
possibly play a 16" disc, even if at the wrong speed, or even if it
coulnd't far enough one way or the other to play the whole record?
I bought a few discs thinking I could find something someday, but all
I've seen are $1500 antique players.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
Are there any turntables that are not rare and expensive that could
possibly play a 16" disc, even if at the wrong speed, or even if it
coulnd't far enough one way or the other to play the whole record?
I bought a few discs thinking I could find something someday, but all
I've seen are $1500 antique players.

Not sure what you mean by antique, but to the best of my knowledge the 16"
disks were transcription disks used in radio from the late 30's until early
50's (until replaced by tape). So the turntables that played them were
massive studio transcription turntables....made by Rek-O-Cut and especially
Presto. Unfortunately, I think to play your disks you'll have to find or
buy one of them.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Chuck Chuck is offline

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:22:32 -0400, "Harry Lavo"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Are there any turntables that are not rare and expensive that could
possibly play a 16" disc, even if at the wrong speed, or even if it
coulnd't far enough one way or the other to play the whole record?
I bought a few discs thinking I could find something someday, but all
I've seen are $1500 antique players.

Not sure what you mean by antique, but to the best of my knowledge the 16"
disks were transcription disks used in radio from the late 30's until early
50's (until replaced by tape). So the turntables that played them were
massive studio transcription turntables....made by Rek-O-Cut and especially
Presto. Unfortunately, I think to play your disks you'll have to find or
buy one of them.

Thorens had a table in the mid 80s which would play 16" disks. If I
remember correctly, it sold then for $1000.00. Chuck