Posted to rec.audio.car
Brian Parker Brian Parker is offline

Default 2004 Thunderbird - Need Sub help

I posted back on 12/1 asking about replacing the pseudo-subs in my '04 bird. I didn't get any
replies, which isn't a problem because I doubt many people have messed around with replacing their
Bird's "subs".

I still want to put in 1 or maybe 2 decent subs but can't find any information on the 'net about
doing it in this particular car ( the retro bird's in general ) and the local car audio joints
haven't done it, either.

So, on to my next question: Where would be the best place to call / surf to find out what my options
are on aftermarket subs on my car? The big TBird forums on the net don't have any information,
unfortunately. Is there a central repository of knowledge for this sort of thing? I don't mind
making calls, so if you know a company that an help, please let me know.

Thanks,
-BEP
Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40 KU40 is offline

So your car comes with factory subs in the trunk? can you make out if
they are actually in an enclosure or if they're free air? that will
help decide the rest.

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car

KU40 wrote:
So your car comes with factory subs in the trunk? can you make out if
they are actually in an enclosure or if they're free air? that will
help decide the rest.

Here's my original message that explains the issue:

I've replaced the rear and door speakers in my 2004 Thunderbird and would now like to install a
decent sub and amp to run the sub. I'm not looking to rattle the neighbor's speakers, I just want
something a higher quality than what I currently have.

From the little information I can find, the car actually has 2 "subs" in it already. If what I
read is correct, they are cheapo regular speakers with cheapo amps that are just being fed the lower
frequency signals.

I've talked to several local car audio specialty shops and none have any experience with the newer
TBirds so I'm hoping someone in here will have messed with the subs in this car and can give me
advice as to what would be good as a replacement for the stock "subs." Ease of installation is a
priority - I'd like to do the installation myself.

Any intelligent information is appreciated.
-BEP
Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40 KU40 is offline

ok, sounds like just free air then. what size are they? I've never
seen nor heard anything with those cars, just trying to get as much
pertinent information out as possible so maybe others will give input
as well.

I take it you're wanting to use the factory locations and not build a
box to put in the trunk?

--
KU40