Posted to rec.audio.car
Gary Richardson Gary  Richardson is offline

Default Stereo Dead?

Hey,

I have a 2002 Honda Civic and an Alpine Deck. I've had the deck for 2
or 3 years now and it's worked flawlessly in that period. The other day
I was driving into work and I heard a pop and then there was no audio.
The stereo display still works.

If I turn the volume all the way up on the unit, you can sort of hear
music, along with a lot of buzzing (I'm guessing from having the volume
all the way up). This happens for both CD and the FM tuner.

Is this likely a problem with the stereo or my car's wiring? What's a
good way of testing? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

"Gary Richardson" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey,

I have a 2002 Honda Civic and an Alpine Deck. I've had the deck for 2
or 3 years now and it's worked flawlessly in that period. The other day
I was driving into work and I heard a pop and then there was no audio.
The stereo display still works.

If I turn the volume all the way up on the unit, you can sort of hear
music, along with a lot of buzzing (I'm guessing from having the volume
all the way up). This happens for both CD and the FM tuner.

Is this likely a problem with the stereo or my car's wiring? What's a
good way of testing? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks.

Have you added speakers recently

Posted to rec.audio.car
Gary Richardson Gary  Richardson is offline

No, no changes to the system at all.

e-nigma wrote:

Have you added speakers recently

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

oups.com...

e-nigma wrote:

Have you added speakers recently

It sounds like the internal amp on the Alpine as gone bad, but try these
1st.
If the unit is a detachable face, take the face off and there should be a
little reset button, it is usually red.
You will need a toothpick or pencil and try pressing that little button.
If it is a non-detachable face there should be a small reset button on the
front of the face.
If that doesn't work you can try to remove the deck and disconnect all the
speaker leads and try hooking up a know good speaker to the speakers leads.
A small home speaker will work for this purpose.
If you still have no sound, then the internal amp on the Alpine is bad

Posted to rec.audio.car
Gary Richardson Gary  Richardson is offline

I was hoping the reset button would do it, but, alas, it didn't.

The unit has RCA outputs on the back. I have a speaker from a Logitech
surround sound set that I tried plugging into the RCA outputs. No sound
came out. Should that be adequate to test?

I also still had the unit plugged into my car -- I'm not sure how to
get power into the head unit otherwise.

Thanks.

e-nigma wrote:
It sounds like the internal amp on the Alpine as gone bad, but try these
1st.
If the unit is a detachable face, take the face off and there should be a
little reset button, it is usually red.
You will need a toothpick or pencil and try pressing that little button.
If it is a non-detachable face there should be a small reset button on the
front of the face.
If that doesn't work you can try to remove the deck and disconnect all the
speaker leads and try hooking up a know good speaker to the speakers leads.
A small home speaker will work for this purpose.
If you still have no sound, then the internal amp on the Alpine is bad

Posted to rec.audio.car
Gary Richardson Gary  Richardson is offline

Hmmm, I see.

Out of curiosity, is there anything that could be "wrong" with my car's
wiring or speakers that would be causing this problem? I'll have access
to another deck to test with early next week, but I'm mostly curious of
the likelihood that something is wrong with my car and not the stereo.

Thanks.

e-nigma wrote:
The RCA's on the back of the Alpine have to go to an amplifier 1st

Posted to rec.audio.car
X-OvrDistortion X-OvrDistortion is offline

Have you smelled it? It should have a distinct "burnt" smell if you
fried it, which is what it sounds like to me.

--
X-OvrDistortion
Posted to rec.audio.car
bassman07 bassman07 is offline

you could have a grounded out speaker or tweeter which is causing all
the others to go outta wack! more than likely theres not much wrong
with your car! most of the times its gonna be the stereo. is it stock?
if so, then most stock stereos dont have much of a life on them anyway.
plus the preout sucks

--
bassman07
Posted to rec.audio.car
Gary Richardson Gary  Richardson is offline

It's not stock. It's an aftermarket alpine deck. The speakers in the
car are all stock though.

Would it be likely for a speaker to ground out while I'm driving along,
minding my own business?

Thanks.

bassman07 wrote:
you could have a grounded out speaker or tweeter which is causing all
the others to go outta wack! more than likely theres not much wrong
with your car! most of the times its gonna be the stereo. is it stock?
if so, then most stock stereos dont have much of a life on them anyway.
plus the preout sucks

--
bassman07

Posted to rec.audio.car
Gary Richardson Gary  Richardson is offline

No, but I'll give it a whiff tomorrow morning.

The deck did have a tendency to get hot. Also, there is a fan in the
back of the unit. While I've had it out, I can't seem to remember the
fan spinning. I'll check that out to make sure it isn't seized either.

Thanks.

X-OvrDistortion wrote:
Have you smelled it? It should have a distinct "burnt" smell if you
fried it, which is what it sounds like to me.

--
X-OvrDistortion

Posted to rec.audio.car
bassman07 bassman07 is offline

and yes a speaker can ground out from inproper install when driving.
for instence, taking a turn and the magnet touch metal. that will
ground out the speaker and cause a mess. and yes it will cause your
head unit to heat cuz its sends the watts it would normally send to a
speaker back to the deck. or it could be a loose wire and u hit a minor
bump and it touch metal.

--
bassman07
Posted to rec.audio.car
X-OvrDistortion X-OvrDistortion is offline

True, I did an install of some speakers. The girl then got her windows
tinted. She came back to me saying that her "stuff" wasn't working.
What happened was the guy doing the tint didnt screw the speaker back
in, and it was grounding out against the metal of the door, causing a
similar problem. give it a look.

--
X-OvrDistortion
Posted to rec.audio.car
bassman07 bassman07 is offline

^^yup! just check those two things tomorrow and we'll go from there
keep us posted and glad we coudl help

--
bassman07

Playin MP3 through Car stereo? JJonson Pro Audio 1 June 3rd 05 02:21 AM
FS: Audio Cables & Adapter Cables [email protected] Pro Audio 0 February 28th 05 04:35 PM
Is the car stereo industry stagnant? n8 skow Car Audio 9 August 16th 04 11:54 AM
Dead Bose stereo Seth Ness Car Audio 13 February 29th 04 02:58 PM
stolen car stereo and cigarette lighter marshall Car Audio 1 July 3rd 03 06:58 PM