Tony

Default Electrostatic vs electromagnetic headphones

Hi experts,

I am looking for a pair of electrostatic headphones (as opposed to
electromagnetic ones). Do you know where I could buy one? Good guys? Amazon?

How do I recognize them by the way?

Thanks a lot,
Tony

Dave Platt

Hi experts,

I am looking for a pair of electrostatic headphones (as opposed to
electromagnetic ones). Do you know where I could buy one? Good guys? Amazon?

Unlikely you'd find 'em via either, I think.

How do I recognize them by the way?

There are very few brands of true electrostatic headphones on the
market. The best-known brand (and in fact the only brand I'm aware
of) is Stax. Do a Google search on "Stax headphones" and you'll find
links to the manufacturer site and to various dealers.

They tend to be fairly large (Stax calls many of their models
"Earspeakers"). They require specialized driver-amps which provide
the necessary high voltages. They're expensive (figure $200-$300 for
the low-end Stax electrostatic 'phones, plus $200-$250 for the driver
unit).

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Ian

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
Hi experts,

I am looking for a pair of electrostatic headphones (as opposed to
electromagnetic ones). Do you know where I could buy one? Good guys?

Amazon?

Unlikely you'd find 'em via either, I think.

How do I recognize them by the way?

There are very few brands of true electrostatic headphones on the
market. The best-known brand (and in fact the only brand I'm aware
of) is Stax. Do a Google search on "Stax headphones" and you'll find
links to the manufacturer site and to various dealers.

They tend to be fairly large (Stax calls many of their models
"Earspeakers"). They require specialized driver-amps which provide
the necessary high voltages. They're expensive (figure $200-$300 for
the low-end Stax electrostatic 'phones, plus $200-$250 for the driver
unit).

I have a pair of AKG340's, which are electrostatic (electret), and also
has a dynamic driver for LF.

Regards
Ian

Friedrich Stockhammer

Hi,
I am looking for a pair of electrostatic headphones (as opposed to
electromagnetic ones). Do you know where I could buy one? Good guys? Amazon?

the best of the hifi world is (and expensive too):
Sennheiser HEV 90 "Orpheus"
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...eoanlage_03074

--
freundliche Gruesse - friendly greetings
Friedrich Stockhammer