Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Steve Grauman

Default Source units affect sound?

I've noticed a thread here where there seems to be some argument over how a
source unit, such as a CD player, can affect the output quality of your system.
I've sold audio equipment and tend to have my own opinions, but I'd like to
hear some from those here on the board. Do you fellows (or ladies, as the case
may be) believe in the idea that spending $5,000 on a CD player, as opposed to
spending $500 on a player, will actually make any audible difference in sound
quality? I'll chime in with my own thoughts at some point but I want to hear
yours first. Is there really anything that an "audiophile" grade player can do
that a "normal" one cannot? And how about tape decks and turntables? Do your
feelings reagrding CD players carry over to those sources as well? Let's
refrain from arguing over the varying levels of video quality that DVD players
can produce. I only want to discuss audio here.
Steve Grauman