Posted to rec.audio.tech
earthquake earthquake is offline

Default subwoofer

I have Epos els 3's with NAD 7155. Epos are great speakers, however
not the best with rock, lacking bass. Either I get different speakers
(M5's) or a sub. My budget is limited. The room is small aprox. 12x13.
I'm inclined to go with a modest priced small sub. Thoughts or
suggestions? Thank you.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
JANA JANA is offline

Below is the specs for the EPOS ELS's. The low end frequency response is
rated at 65 Hz. Don't expect much deep bass response from these speakers.
Also, they are small in physical size to properly reproduce the very low
frequencies.

I noticed that these speakers are of fairly low efficiency and are rated at
4 ohms. If you add a sub woofer, make sure it is an amplfied sub woofer.

If you go for a small sub woofer, make sure that it is rated to reproduce to
at least in the 40 Hz or lower frequency range. Idealy, it would be best to
have a sub that can go down in to at least the 20 to 30 Hz range. This is
where you will get the super deep bass response, and especialy when watching
movies.

The lowest key on a piano is 27.5 Hz. You will hear this key because of the
higher frequency harmonics. A large church organ can go down to below 15
Hz. For average good music listening, idealy you want the speakers to be
able to reproduce down to at least 42 Hz or better. Below 38 Hz, the average
person can no longer hear an audio sinewave as a tone.

In the low price range speakers there will be issues with imaging, accuracy,
and distortion.

Frequency range of a piano:
http://www.vibrationdata.com/piano.htm

loudspeaker. Drive-units: 1" (24mm) aluminum-dome, neodymium-magnet tweeter;
5" (130mm) polypropylene-cone woofer. Crossover frequency: 3kHz. Power
handling: 100W. Frequency range: 65Hz-20kHz. Impedance: 4 ohms nominal.
Dimensions: 10.5" H (270mm) by 6.75" W (174mm) by 7.5" D (195mm). Weight: 10
lbs (4.5kg).
Finishes: light or dark cherry vinyl.
Serial numbers of units reviewed: 216a & b.
Price: $299/pair. Approximate number of dealers: 25.
Manufacturer: Epos Ltd., 12 Avebury Court, Mark Road, Hemel Hempstead,
Herts. HPW 7TA, England. Tel: (44) (0)11442-260146. Web:
www.epos-acoustics.com. US distributor: Music Hall, 108 Station Road, Great
Neck, NY 11021. Tel: (516) 487-3663. Fax: (516) 773-3891. Web:
www.musichallaudio.com.

--

JANA
_____

"earthquake" wrote in message
I have Epos els 3's with NAD 7155. Epos are great speakers, however
not the best with rock, lacking bass. Either I get different speakers
(M5's) or a sub. My budget is limited. The room is small aprox. 12x13.
I'm inclined to go with a modest priced small sub. Thoughts or
suggestions? Thank you.

Best Subwoofer for $500 [email protected] Audio Opinions 2 March 17th 06 09:07 PM
Subwoofer Danny Audio Opinions 6 September 20th 04 07:32 PM
8" or 10" Subwoofer? [email protected] Car Audio 1 September 9th 04 08:40 PM
Q: Best amplification for diy subwoofer... subwoofer amp vs. passive+external mike vandy Tech 12 April 10th 04 04:40 AM
Need Specs for "Advent Subwoofer III" passive home subwoofer ??? unc80 Marketplace 0 July 8th 03 10:41 PM