Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] neumannu47@teranews.com is offline

Default iPhone 3 versus iPhone 4 Mic Inputs

Previously there were XLR-to-TRRS converters for the iPhone 3, but they
don't work with iPhone 4. It's impossible to understand the inane
explanations offered by non-technical people, so I thought I would ask
here if anyone has investigated the input characteristics of the iPhone
4. Apparently some ENG people are using it in an absolute emergency,
particularly since the iPhone 4 has an HD camera built in.

For example, see http://www.iphone-xlr-cable.com/Cables.html
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 1/27/2011 9:46 AM, wrote:
Previously there were XLR-to-TRRS converters for the iPhone 3, but they
don't work with iPhone 4. It's impossible to understand the inane
explanations offered by non-technical people, so I thought I would ask
here if anyone has investigated the input characteristics of the iPhone 4.

From what I've been able to figure out, the mic input on either version
is equally crappy and is generally voice quality. The reason why some of
the guitar input gadgets that connect via the external mic input work at
all is because there really isn't a lot above 3.5 kHz coming out of a
guitar that you actually hear after it goes through an amplifier simulator.

What changed in Version 4 was the audio capabilities of the docking
connector. In version 3, the audio I/O on that connector was analog,
consumer line level, and basically flat. The built-in converters are
mediocre, but good enough for most of what you'd use a kludge like that
for. In Version 4, they eliminated the analog audio I/O and audio on
that connector needs to go in and out in digital form. The good news is
that it's easier to use outboard converters and mic preamps. The bad
news is that the Version 3 adapters don't work on a Version 4 phone.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by
http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

On Jan 27, 10:02*am, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 1/27/2011 9:46 AM, wrote:

Previously there were XLR-to-TRRS converters for the iPhone 3, but they
don't work with iPhone 4. It's impossible to understand the inane
explanations offered by non-technical people, so I thought I would ask
here if anyone has investigated the input characteristics of the iPhone 4.

*From what I've been able to figure out, the mic input on either version
is equally crappy and is generally voice quality. The reason why some of
the guitar input gadgets that connect via the external mic input work at
all is because there really isn't a lot above 3.5 kHz coming out of a
guitar that you actually hear after it goes through an amplifier simulator.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
neumannu47 neumannu47 is offline

On 1/27/2011 1:02 PM, Danny T wrote:

My wife and i updated (if you can call it that) to iPhone 4's and I
don't really know about the input but I can tell you that the iPhone 4
is absolutely the best phone I've ever had at dropping calls. It
makes you feel really important to look at your call log because
you'll have 20 times the amount of calls in a day. Its just wonderful
to be on a call in the middle of business and have is shut off on you.
Such a warm fuzzy feeling comes over you when that happens that I
think everyone should run out and buy a iPhone 4. If you can't afford
one, let me know and I'll sell you mine cheap- just cause I like you.

How much for your phone? We haven't had that problem.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny is offline

On Jan 31, 10:51*am, neumannu47 wrote:
On 1/27/2011 1:02 PM, Danny T wrote:

My wife and i updated (if you can call it that) to iPhone 4's and I
don't really know about the input but I can tell you that the iPhone 4
is absolutely the best *phone I've ever had at dropping calls. It
makes you feel really important to look at your call log because
you'll have 20 times the amount of calls in a day. Its just wonderful
to be on a call in the middle of business and have is shut off on you.
Such a warm fuzzy feeling comes over you when that happens that I
think everyone should run out and buy a iPhone 4. If you can't afford
one, let me know and I'll sell you mine cheap- just cause I like you.

How much for your phone? We haven't had that problem.

Funny you should ask. I'm going to Miami for a few weeks of sun and
when I come back I was planning on putting it on ebay! Honestly, you
don't want one. I have most of my calls dropped. I'm not sure if it
ATT or the phone but it really sucks.
In contrast, my iPhone 3s was really a great phone. I'm thinking of
going backward to one of those.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/31/2011 1:46 PM, ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny wrote:

Honestly, you
don't want one. I have most of my calls dropped. I'm not sure if it
ATT or the phone but it really sucks.
In contrast, my iPhone 3s was really a great phone. I'm thinking of
going backward to one of those.

Isn't that the phone that had the scandal about dropped
calls when it first came out, and they discovered that the
natural hand position for a right-handed user put a thumb
over the antenna, which attenuated the signal. They "fixed"
it by providing a free case that kept your thumb a little
bit further from the antenna. Did you get your free case? An
eBay buyer will probably want it. The offer was only good
for a short time.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

On 1/31/2011 1:46 PM, ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny wrote:

Honestly, you
don't want one. I have most of my calls dropped. I'm not sure if it
ATT or the phone but it really sucks.
In contrast, my iPhone 3s was really a great phone. I'm thinking of
going backward to one of those.

Isn't that the phone that had the scandal about dropped
calls when it first came out, and they discovered that the
natural hand position for a right-handed user put a thumb
over the antenna, which attenuated the signal. They "fixed"
it by providing a free case that kept your thumb a little
bit further from the antenna. Did you get your free case? An
eBay buyer will probably want it. The offer was only good
for a short time.

There are two antennae. That errant hand position bridges the two and
essentially shorts them out. (I have a pal who knows way too much about
this stuff. He comes in really handy, often.)

A simple protective cover, that in and of itself is amazing, insulates
the antennae from finger contact while not obstructing their
performance. That cover is so thin and transparent it's nearly
imperceptible, and so tough a knife means nothing to it.

This is an issue separate from AT&T's supply-side troubles. And face, it
wouldn't have mattered what company took on the iPhone, that trouble
would have surfaced. Demand blew the doors off projections, and
bandwidth needed rapidly became overwhelming.

Fortunately, AT&T's service where I live is so sketchy I needn't jones
for an iPhone.

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"neumannu47" wrote in message
| On 1/27/2011 1:02 PM, Danny T wrote:
|
| My wife and i updated (if you can call it that) to iPhone 4's and I
| don't really know about the input but I can tell you that the iPhone 4
| is absolutely the best phone I've ever had at dropping calls. It
| makes you feel really important to look at your call log because
| you'll have 20 times the amount of calls in a day. Its just wonderful
| to be on a call in the middle of business and have is shut off on you.
| Such a warm fuzzy feeling comes over you when that happens that I
| think everyone should run out and buy a iPhone 4. If you can't afford
| one, let me know and I'll sell you mine cheap- just cause I like you.
|
| How much for your phone? We haven't had that problem.

My iPhone4 is no better and no worse than the Palm Centro and other phones
I've had previously. I got Apples 'fixer' case, but I had no problems
before getting it and no discernable performance differences after. Nice
phone; however, the Droid phones seem to have caught up. I'll give them a
good look, when my current contract is up.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

neumannu47 wrote:
On 1/27/2011 1:02 PM, Danny T wrote:

My wife and i updated (if you can call it that) to iPhone 4's and I
don't really know about the input but I can tell you that the iPhone
4 is absolutely the best phone I've ever had at dropping calls. It
makes you feel really important to look at your call log because
you'll have 20 times the amount of calls in a day. Its just wonderful
to be on a call in the middle of business and have is shut off on
you. Such a warm fuzzy feeling comes over you when that happens that
I think everyone should run out and buy a iPhone 4. If you can't
afford one, let me know and I'll sell you mine cheap- just cause I
like you.

How much for your phone? We haven't had that problem.

I don't think its the phone, but the service provider......
Posted to rec.audio.pro
~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny is offline

On Jan 31, 4:36*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 1/31/2011 1:46 PM, ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny wrote:

Honestly, you
don't want one. I have most of my calls dropped. I'm not sure if it
ATT or the phone but it really sucks.
In contrast, my iPhone 3s was really a great phone. I'm thinking of
going backward to one of those.

Isn't that the phone that had the scandal about dropped
calls when it first came out, and they discovered that the
natural hand position for a right-handed user put a thumb
over the antenna, which attenuated the signal. They "fixed"
it by providing a free case that kept your thumb a little
bit further from the antenna. Did you get your free case? An
eBay buyer will probably want it. The offer was only good
for a short time.

of audio." - John Watkinson

http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com- useful and
interesting audio stuff

Yes this is the phone with the dropped calls and I thought it was
taken care of too. I have bought 3 cases now to try and combat the
issue. The first, and now back on it is the gel case. The other two
are leather but one had a magnet in it so I thought that night have
been an issue.
I'm heading to S FL for a few weeks and I'm going to see if it might
just be the towers in my area. When I come back, if it isn't, I'm
dumping the phone. If it is just towers, then I'll give it some time.
I heard a rumor that this area was getting work done. Benefits of the
doubt expire in a week!