Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default NAMM Show and CES Reports

I've posted my consolidated NAMM and CES reports for Winter
2011.
Come and get 'em.

NAMM:
http://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpre...011_report.pdf

CES:
http://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpre...011_report.pdf

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
philicorda[_9_] philicorda[_9_] is offline

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:33:14 -0500, Mike Rivers wrote:

I've posted my consolidated NAMM and CES reports for Winter 2011.
Come and get 'em.

Thanks!

NAMM:
http://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/

namm_winter2011_report.pdf

I thought you invented the Fairlight CMI re-release to see if people were
paying attention. But it's real! Wow.

It's interesting that they are keeping the user interface the same as the
original too.

And now I read on to find TASCAM have released a software version of
their 1984 portastudio 4-track for the iPad. I wonder if it simulates
occasionally chewing the tape?

It seems creative limitations are in fashion!

CES:
http://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpre...011_report.pdf

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"philicorda" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:33:14 -0500, Mike Rivers wrote:

I've posted my consolidated NAMM and CES reports for Winter 2011.
Come and get 'em.

Thanks!

NAMM:
http://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/

namm_winter2011_report.pdf

I thought you invented the Fairlight CMI re-release to see if people were
paying attention. But it's real! Wow.

It's interesting that they are keeping the user interface the same as the
original too.

And now I read on to find TASCAM have released a software version of
their 1984 portastudio 4-track for the iPad. I wonder if it simulates
occasionally chewing the tape?

.....and does it have dbx noise reduction ?!

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
I've posted my consolidated NAMM and CES reports for Winter 2011.
Come and get 'em.

NAMM:
http://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpre...011_report.pdf

Excellent! And thank you.
Almost makes me feel like I'm there.....
(but my 3rd encounter of the day with the snowshovel reminds me that I'm
not)

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

On Jan 25, 9:33*am, Mike Rivers wrote:
I've posted my consolidated NAMM and CES reports for Winter
2011.
Come and get 'em.

NAMM:http://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpre..._winter2011_re...

CES:http://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpre...011_report.pdf

of audio." - John Watkinson

http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com- useful and
interesting audio stuff

You've been a busy man! Thanks for this - I particularly like the
stomach Steinway but I don't think the natives here will give up their
traditional ones.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/25/2011 11:58 AM, polymod wrote:

And now I read on to find TASCAM have released a software version of
their 1984 portastudio 4-track for the iPad. I wonder if it simulates
occasionally chewing the tape?

....and does it have dbx noise reduction ?!

Artifacts? You want artifacts? I expect you can get it to
export an MP3 file. g

I don't think the UA Studer A-800 plug-in has a flutter
adjustment, but I remember seeing somebody's tape simulator
that did.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 1/25/2011 11:58 AM, polymod wrote:

And now I read on to find TASCAM have released a software version of
their 1984 portastudio 4-track for the iPad. I wonder if it simulates
occasionally chewing the tape?

....and does it have dbx noise reduction ?!

Artifacts? You want artifacts? I expect you can get it to
export an MP3 file. g

I don't think the UA Studer A-800 plug-in has a flutter
adjustment, but I remember seeing somebody's tape simulator
that did.

Enter the number of layers of splicing tape wrapped around the capstan: [0]
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/25/2011 12:38 PM, Neil Rutman wrote:
Well done as usual Mike. Thanks to your posts maybe I don't need to go to
NAMM anymore?

NAMM wouldn't like me very much if I promoted that reaction
from everyone. For a few years when I was writing fairly
regularly for magazines, I didn't do formal show reports
since mostly I was looking for things to write about or
review. But now that business has pretty much dried up (the
magazines that still cover the shows do it with their own
editorial staff, not outside writers like me) I go with the
idea of looking for stuff to review or write about. I have
to maintain a good enough reputation so that companies will
send me stuff to play with even though I don't have a
corporation behind me. And then, what I write doesn't, at
least not yet, have circulation in the tens of thousands
like the magazines.

And I haven't figured out how to make it pay, either. I
don't want to take ads for stuff that I might be writing
about. Maybe some unrelated place with lots of money like
Target or Apple will decide that it's a good idea to have
reports like this and more detailed product reviews than
most magazines publish, and will give me a generous grant.
Some time I'd like to stay some place nicer than the
Travelodge and eat some place other than Denny's when I go
to these shows. g

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 13:38:27 -0500, Mike Rivers wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Wow! A little bitter?

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:33:14 -0500, Mike Rivers wrote
(in article ):

I've posted my consolidated NAMM and CES reports for Winter
2011.
Come and get 'em.

NAMM:
http://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpre...011_report.pdf

CES:
http://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpre...011_report.pdf

Thanks for spending your pension on travel for us, Mike.

Was that a government job? I forget.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Ty Ford wrote:

[...]

I think not. Mike's a fine writer and a great reviewer, and IMO, it
pretty much sucks if there's not a viable market for his writing.

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ty Ford wrote:

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:33:14 -0500, Mike Rivers wrote
(in article ):

I've posted my consolidated NAMM and CES reports for Winter
2011.
Come and get 'em.

NAMM:
http://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpre...011_report.pdf

CES:
http://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpre...011_report.pdf

Thanks for spending your pension on travel for us, Mike.

Was that a government job? I forget.

He retired from an engineering job with the FAA. When you land safely,
thank him.

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/26/2011 5:04 PM, Ty Ford wrote:

Thanks for spending your pension on travel for us, Mike.
Was that a government job? I forget.

Ty, you don't need to read them if theyt bore you. But I really would
like to find an alternate to magazines to pick up a little spending
money. If you have any good suggestions, let me know. Otherwise, I'll
just continue to show my brilliance and great insight, and hope that
maybe someone notices, appreciates it, and maybe, just maybe, asks me to
cover a show for a web site that pays for content.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 02:23:53 -0500, hank alrich wrote
(in article ):

Ty Ford wrote:

[...]

I've known Mike a lot longer than I've know you, Hank.

Ty

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:56:22 -0500, Mike Rivers wrote
(in article ):

On 1/26/2011 5:04 PM, Ty Ford wrote:

Thanks for spending your pension on travel for us, Mike.
Was that a government job? I forget.

Ty, you don't need to read them if theyt bore you. But I really would
like to find an alternate to magazines to pick up a little spending
money. If you have any good suggestions, let me know. Otherwise, I'll
just continue to show my brilliance and great insight, and hope that
maybe someone notices, appreciates it, and maybe, just maybe, asks me to
cover a show for a web site that pays for content.

Wasn't it me who introduced you to RW and PAR?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/28/2011 12:36 PM, Ty Ford wrote:

Wasn't it me who introduced you to RW and PAR?

I'm not sure you introduced me, but we did talk about other
magazines when I was writing for Recording. I bought lunch.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 10:05:16 -0500, Mike Rivers wrote
(in article ):

On 1/28/2011 12:36 PM, Ty Ford wrote:

Wasn't it me who introduced you to RW and PAR?

I'm not sure you introduced me, but we did talk about other
magazines when I was writing for Recording. I bought lunch.

pretty sure it was me.

Ty

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/31/2011 12:12 PM, Ty Ford wrote:

Wasn't it me who introduced you to RW and PAR?

pretty sure it was me.

Well, then, thanks. Actually. my first published article was
a NAMM show report in Radio World. Greg Lukens was talking
with the editor shortly after the show and mentioned my
report to him. It was probably on the MIDILink Network.
Can't even remember what year.

I was bugging John Gatski for a couple of years before he
invited me to write my first article for PAR - the 2006
Summer NAMM show in Austin.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff

June Audio review + Show Reports Now Onlne Steven R. Rochlin High End Audio 0 May 31st 08 04:40 PM
May Equip. Reviews + FSI & Munich Show Reports + More! enjoythemusic High End Audio 0 May 4th 08 08:24 PM
NAMM Show Mike Rivers Pro Audio 26 February 1st 08 07:01 PM
.NYC & Munich Audiophile Show Reports. [email protected] High End Audio 3 May 25th 07 11:21 PM
CES and Home Entertainment Show - Seeking High-End Audio Reports Ron High End Audio 2 January 15th 07 11:31 PM