Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] blackburst@aol.com is offline

Default Need speaker advice

Need speaker advice from audio experts here!

My friend is an event-video guy who wants to buy amplified speakers
for his nonlinear editor (Final Cut Pro). I think he wants GOOD
speakers, accurate as possible, not deficient in the lows or highs,
amplified, easy control surface, probably -10 stereo in (RCA? 1/8"?).

He's looking at a small Behringer set from B&H. Any really good ones I
could recommend to him? Fostex? Alesis? Mackie?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

On Jan 21, 2:28*pm, " wrote:
Need speaker advice from audio experts here!

My friend is an event-video guy who wants to buy amplified speakers
for his nonlinear editor (Final Cut Pro). I think he wants GOOD
speakers, accurate as possible, not deficient in the lows or highs,
amplified, easy control surface, probably -10 stereo in (RCA? 1/8"?).

He's looking at a small Behringer set from B&H. Any really good ones I
could recommend to him? Fostex? Alesis? Mackie?

I know what my ears like and I actually prefer the little m-audio
speakers. They are cheap and sound pretty good but field work usually
does better with headphones. I'd suggest he gets a pair of sony mdr
7506. They have the 1/8 inch plug inside the 1/4 and you can always
get an RCA adaptor if you need it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Jan 21, 3:28*pm, " wrote:
Need speaker advice from audio experts here!

My friend is an event-video guy who wants to buy amplified speakers
for his nonlinear editor (Final Cut Pro). I think he wants GOOD
speakers, accurate as possible, not deficient in the lows or highs,
amplified, easy control surface, probably -10 stereo in (RCA? 1/8"?).

He's looking at a small Behringer set from B&H. Any really good ones I
could recommend to him? Fostex? Alesis? Mackie?

Just to clarify: It's speakers he needs, in an edit suite in a small
room.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Audio Engine

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

Budget is critical. If he can afford them, I'd say Adams.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

My friend is an event-video guy who wants to buy amplified speakers
for his nonlinear editor (Final Cut Pro). I think he wants GOOD

This is a video editing suite or a real audio editing suite?

Final Cut is a mac based video application.

--scott

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message
Need speaker advice from audio experts here!

My friend is an event-video guy who wants to buy amplified speakers
for his nonlinear editor (Final Cut Pro). I think he wants GOOD
speakers, accurate as possible, not deficient in the lows or highs,
amplified, easy control surface, probably -10 stereo in (RCA? 1/8"?).

He's looking at a small Behringer set from B&H. Any really good ones I
could recommend to him? Fostex? Alesis? Mackie?

IME the Behringer B3021A monitors can stand comparison with similar devices
from Mackie and Genelec.

The suggestion that he also obtain industry standard headphones such as the
Sony 7506 or Sennheiser HD 280 is very good. Headphones may provide a
spatial image that takes a lot of translating to work in real life, but they
are great for picking out details.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
bob[_5_] bob[_5_] is offline

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 12:28:56 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Need speaker advice from audio experts here!

My friend is an event-video guy who wants to buy amplified speakers
for his nonlinear editor (Final Cut Pro). I think he wants GOOD
speakers, accurate as possible, not deficient in the lows or highs,
amplified, easy control surface, probably -10 stereo in (RCA? 1/8"?).

He's looking at a small Behringer set from B&H. Any really good ones I
could recommend to him? Fostex? Alesis? Mackie?

compared a bunch a few weeks back and was really impressed by a pair
of used dynaudios (bm15as). they were lined up with a few of each of
those brands, m-audios, tannoys and quite a few krks as well and they
were very very nice. everyone in the room agreed they were quite a bit
more balanced and clearer (or whatever lingo i should be using...)
than the rest. when A/Bed with the pair of mackies (HR824s) everyone
actually laughed... they are a bit pricey though...
Posted to rec.audio.pro
cedricl[_2_] cedricl[_2_] is offline

wrote:
[...]

I was going to recommend the Dynaudios when this thread started but
was afraid of getting flamed. A lot of people here are so sure that
what they own is the best that they'll call you an idiot for picking
something else. I don't own the Dynaudios, but, if I could afford
them, I would. A friend has some and I also heard them lined up
against the competition at an audio store.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
[...]

The Dynaudios are excellent but almost certainly beyond the budget of video
editing guys. And, more importantly, they will turn up every little problem
with the audio tracks, which invariably are awful to begin with....
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

wrote:
[...]

I spent about two hours in a shop that had several good monitor setups
on display including the Dynaudio BM15's and the Mackies. Also, Fostex
and Alesis.

I found the Dynaudios to be the ones that I could listen to the
longest and I felt that they were quite accurate. I also felt that
they had the widest sweet spot of the monitors that were shown. The
only reason that I didn't buy them was because they were consignments
and I wold have no return privilege if I didn't care for them in my
own studio in another state.

Buying monitors isn't something that can be done on a snap decision.
Over the years, I have owned several sets of JBL, Klipsch, Fostex plus
others

My current monitors include Fostex Sp7's , Peavey AMR 308's and a
pair of JBL 4430's. i can tell where the low frequencies exist on the
Peaveys, I get the vocal placement on the JBL's and the SP7's are for
the cheapo radio mix reference.