Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Firewire Converter

It seems that a 6 or 8 channel analog-to-Firewire converter might be a good
solution for a project I'm doing. The idea is to convert about 6 direct outs of
my Mackie 1402-VLZ to Firewire for multichannel recording in Adobe Audition 1.5.
The Mackie Blackbird will do what I want, but before I order it, I thought I
would ask whether there is a simpler and even cheaper Firewire solution.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
mcp6453 wrote:
It seems that a 6 or 8 channel analog-to-Firewire converter might be a good
solution for a project I'm doing. The idea is to convert about 6 direct outs of
my Mackie 1402-VLZ to Firewire for multichannel recording in Adobe Audition 1.5.
The Mackie Blackbird will do what I want, but before I order it, I thought I
would ask whether there is a simpler and even cheaper Firewire solution.

Have you considered just upgrading the 1402 to a Mackie Onyx console with
a firewire output? You can get an 820i for $400 or so, and it has firewire
outs AND slightly improved preamps AND massively improved EQ. It's smaller
than the 1402 but it might be big enough.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/11/2011 3:26 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Have you considered just upgrading the 1402 to a Mackie Onyx console with
a firewire output? You can get an 820i for $400 or so, and it has firewire
outs AND slightly improved preamps AND massively improved EQ. It's smaller
than the 1402 but it might be big enough.

Yes, I have considered doing that, but I'm looking at the 1640i. It wouldn't
make sense to replace the 1402 with a smaller board. The idea was essentially to
add Firewire to the 1402 until I can justify a Presonus 16.4.2. There are some
Firewire converters, but a decent one is going to be at least $400, based on my
research. Hopefully the Onyx mixers don't have the headroom problem that the
1402-VLZ has.

The project is for live Internet streaming and podcasting, so the improved
preamps and EQ are not as important as they would be for a music project.

Have you ever tried purchasing from AVAlive? I've tried twice, and they seem
snarky. Maybe their sales chat is in India and there's a language problem. They
didn't answer on Skype.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

On 1/11/2011 3:26 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Have you considered just upgrading the 1402 to a Mackie Onyx console with
a firewire output? You can get an 820i for $400 or so, and it has firewire
outs AND slightly improved preamps AND massively improved EQ. It's smaller
than the 1402 but it might be big enough.

On further consideration, there may be an even simpler solution: A Delta 1010LT
for $145. Just feed analog to the card from the direct outs. That solution
requires me to use a desktop computer exclusively, but for $145, it's hard to
complain.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 1/11/2011 2:19 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
It seems that a 6 or 8 channel analog-to-Firewire converter might be a good
solution for a project I'm doing.

The Mackie Blackbird will do what I want, but before I order it, I thought I
would ask whether there is a simpler and even cheaper Firewire solution.

I don't believe there's a Firewire audio interface on the planet that
hasn't given someone headaches getting it to work with a given computer.
There is absolutely no way of predicting how well any interface will
work with your setup. RME seems to either just work better becuase of
their drivers, or they're more responsive to individual users' problems,
because there seem to be more satisfied RME users than anything else.
There are also fewer, since their products are enough more expensive
that Mackie, PreSonus, Focusrite, etc that it's a significant decision
point for many.

They all sound pretty good and at this level of product, it's far more
important to find one that has the inputs and outputs you need, and that
works with your computer setup, than it is to find the one that sounds
best. You probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference if you could
compare them.

If you decide to go this route, do yourself a favor and buy from a local
dealer. It's so much easier to return it if you can't get it to work
with a reasonable effort..

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/11/2011 4:46 PM, mcp6453 wrote:

On further consideration, there may be an even simpler solution: A Delta 1010LT
for $145. Just feed analog to the card from the direct outs. That solution
requires me to use a desktop computer exclusively, but for $145, it's hard to
complain.

That's an excellent solution. Mostly when people ask about a Firewire
audio I/O interface, it's because either they want to use it with a
laptop (most of which don't have a built-in Firewire port any more) or
they prefer not to open up a desktop computer or don't have a PCI (or is
the 1010 still the legacy ISA?) expansion slot available. But if you can
use it, go for it, At least it's an inexpensive way to find out if it's
what you realy want to do.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be
operated without a passing knowledge of audio" - John Watkinson

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Anahata Anahata is offline

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 09:22:36 -0500, Mike Rivers wrote:

[PCI] (or is
the 1010 still the legacy ISA? )

It is PCI.
Works well for me - basic 8 in 8 out line level, no frills.

--
Anahata
--/-- http://www.treewind.co.uk

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"anahata" wrote in message
[PCI] (or is
the 1010 still the legacy ISA? )

It is PCI.
Works well for me - basic 8 in 8 out line level, no frills.

Er my 1010LT has 2*mic/line in, 6*line in, 8*line out, midi and spdif I/O.
Not quite as many frills as more expensive firewire alternatives like my
MOTU ultralite, but not too far shy, just inconvenient for road use, and far
cheaper. The only problems I've had are with the breakout connector.

Trevor.