Michael Scarpitti

Default DBT and science

I'll be brief. I'm a firm believer in DBT for objectively-verifiable
data (such as whether a given drug cures cancer) but given that sound
is fugitive, (and that consequently audio perception is inherently
non-repeatable, subjective, and not quanifiable) DBT is impossible.
Tharefore no debate on whether DBT is useful in audio is warranted.
There cannot be any such thing as DBT in audio.

One can take two samples of lenses and take pictures with them, which
'fixes' their performance on something outside our bodies: the film.
The film or prints made from the film can be studied at leisure and
directly compared without having to 'remember' what the one looked
like.

Dick Pierce

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 04:46:14 GMT, (Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:
I'll be brief. I'm a firm believer in DBT for objectively-verifiable
data (such as whether a given drug cures cancer) but given that sound
is fugitive, (and that consequently audio perception is inherently
non-repeatable, subjective, and not quanifiable) DBT is impossible.
Tharefore no debate on whether DBT is useful in audio is warranted.
There cannot be any such thing as DBT in audio.

Sir, your assertion that "there cannot be any such thing as DBT
in audio" is simply at variance with several decades of double
blind testing. Please explain how your assertion simply invalidates
that body of research.

Further, "sound" is no more fugutuve than any other psychophysical
phenomenon such as sight, smell, taste, touch or pain.

Your premise suggests that there cannot be any such things as
double blind testing for ANY sensory phenomenon.

Further, your premise suggests that you do not even understand what
is meant by "double blind testing." Can you elucidate what YOUR
understanding of double blind testing is? Perhaps that is where
your difficulty arises.

If I were to expand on my suspicion, I would posit that what you mean
by double blind testing involves rapid comparison of small snippets
of audio. If that is true, then you are, indeed, mistaken about
what double blind testing means.

ALL double blind testing means is that methodology is applied to
testing such that the identity of the object under test is known
neither to the researcher nor the subject at the time of testing.
That's it.

Please explain, if you would, how double-blinding a study makes
audio any more fleeting than it already is. There are many generations
and thousands of researchers that would like such an explanation.
Dennis Moore

Michael, I think I see what you are getting at, but don't think
I agree. There is DBT for audio. You may not agree it is the
best way or with how sensitive it is versus other ways. But
there are double blind tests.

Try this scenario. You sign up to be a subject in the local
university psychology department's student experiments.
You aren't even told what the experiment is testing you
for or anything. You are told to sit in a chair until they
call your name over the intercom. When called to come into
an adjacent room for some testing.

Now you don't have to remember your name or what it sounds
like. Lets say the real experiment is the aural threshold of
hearing your name and responding. They have the 'intercom'
speaker behind a black veil put out different odd low level noises.
And mix in your name at a known level. Maybe even "Michael
we are ready for you". Well if you don't hear it you won't enter
the adjacent room. When you do they could have you come
and sit for brief 'tests' of your ability to discriminate shades of
colored squares at different light levels. Then they send you
back into the room to wait for them to ready other color
arrangements. You are called again. If you hear it you respond.
Do some more tests of color discrimination and wait some more.
So on and so forth a few times.

Well, they could determine whether or not your threshold were
consistent for a few trials. Change to different amplifiers and
try that again to get your threshold to hearing your name. And
see if it differs with different amplifiers.

You would have just participated in a double blind test, assuming
the other people doing the test were also blinded. And it has
nothing to do with memory etc. It does have to do with your
threshold of hearing your name over two differing amplifiers.
And whether there is any difference. The color discriminations
need not be a real test other than to get your attention elsewhere.
You wouldn't even be aware that any listening test was being
done.

Dennis

"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
. net...
I'll be brief. I'm a firm believer in DBT for objectively-verifiable
data (such as whether a given drug cures cancer) but given that sound
is fugitive, (and that consequently audio perception is inherently
non-repeatable, subjective, and not quanifiable) DBT is impossible.
Tharefore no debate on whether DBT is useful in audio is warranted.
There cannot be any such thing as DBT in audio.

One can take two samples of lenses and take pictures with them, which
'fixes' their performance on something outside our bodies: the film.
The film or prints made from the film can be studied at leisure and
directly compared without having to 'remember' what the one looked
like.

ludovic mirabel

"Dennis Moore" wrote in message ...
[...]

Of course there are DBTs in audio. What you describe is a
psychometric or psychoacoustic or whatever name the researchers prefer
research test. It has a well defined end point: you either hear your
name or not. You either hear gaps in frequencies or you don't. You
hear the phase change oor you don't. Period.
You're doing something different when you compare components
blind for the differences in how they reproduce music. The only way
you can estimate who is "right" is by statistical criteria: Are there
more who do or more who don't and how consistent are they. And there
has been enough argument about what statistics are the "right"
statistics here in RAHE already. And of course counting if more heard
or did not hear the difference is ridiculous because some will hear
what others will not.
Now you add ABX to the witches' brew and you're doing something
not even remotely like the ordinary DBT. First listen to A, then
listen to B, then listen to X and compare X with A and B. Different
aptitudes, different training.
While I'm sure there are oodles of basic research to support
the psychometric ABX use , there seems to be zero to support the
notion that DBT ABX is a useful test in consumer audio for the average
audio consumers.
I think this is what Michael Scarpitti is referring to and I think
within those limits he is absolutely right.
Mixing up these apples , oranges and bananas continues in these
column and probably will. Lots of emotional capital behind it...
Ludovic Mirabel

"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
. net...
I'll be brief. I'm a firm believer in DBT for objectively-verifiable
data (such as whether a given drug cures cancer) but given that sound
is fugitive, (and that consequently audio perception is inherently
non-repeatable, subjective, and not quanifiable) DBT is impossible.
Tharefore no debate on whether DBT is useful in audio is warranted.
There cannot be any such thing as DBT in audio.

One can take two samples of lenses and take pictures with them, which
'fixes' their performance on something outside our bodies: the film.
The film or prints made from the film can be studied at leisure and
directly compared without having to 'remember' what the one looked
like.

Uptown Audio

Actually, what I understood him try to convey was that just because
someone(anyone or any group of grad students for that matter) reached
a single conclusion from a single test does not verify the results as
etched in stone. This is because on differering occations under
different conditions and with different physical or psycological
variables, different results could be reached and thus different
conclusions could be drawn. As none of those individually could be
considered to be truely or more so representative,as the human sense
is dynamic, the test would have to go on continuously and throughout
all of those variables for some time to have any concrete validity.
Now, I don't know about you or Stewart but to me that does not seem so
"simplistic" or remotely fun. Even though he did say DBT, I think what
he was discussing was the results. Obviously a test can be performed,
the key is whether it is relevant. Separating testing the individual
and the device is not so easy and I hear everyone go back and forth
over what and how things have to be done, what can and can't be heard,
etc. with no solid results that everyone can agree upon. One main
stumbling block is the equipment used to create a so called "level
playing field" for the testing of different types of gear. When many
go to great lengths to eliminate these extra controls as they find
them to color the sound of signals passed through them, it makes
klittle sense to add them other than for convenience. Unfortunately
convenience does not validate the results either. Michael seems to
speak of the human side of the equation which has it's own variables.
I don't think that using a blind test is really irrelevant, but the
results could be. So what he seems to be saying is that the single
test cannot be said to be conclusive.
- Bill

www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

[...]

Jim West

In article , Michael Scarpitti wrote:
I'll be brief. I'm a firm believer in DBT for objectively-verifiable
data (such as whether a given drug cures cancer) but given that sound
is fugitive, (and that consequently audio perception is inherently
non-repeatable, subjective, and not quanifiable) DBT is impossible.
Tharefore no debate on whether DBT is useful in audio is warranted.
There cannot be any such thing as DBT in audio.

One can take two samples of lenses and take pictures with them, which
'fixes' their performance on something outside our bodies: the film.
The film or prints made from the film can be studied at leisure and
directly compared without having to 'remember' what the one looked
like.

I always wonder why those who find flaws in DBT for audio systems do not
write up their theories and submit them to the peer reviewed journals
that specialize in psycho-acoustics. Your theories would be much better
received here with the backing of favorable review.

Steven Sullivan

Uptown Audio wrote:
Actually, what I understood him try to convey was that just because
someone(anyone or any group of grad students for that matter) reached
a single conclusion from a single test does not verify the results as
etched in stone.

No, he said audio DBT was *impossible* because it involves *memory*.

--
-S.
Uptown Audio

Yes, that's a good synopsis. He also alluded to other variables which
cannot be controlled either. Any of which makes it impossible to
verify, but not impossible to attempt to make useful. Even his example
of a photograph, which is a good one, in that it can be studied at
several times and with rest, etc. is still subjective to vision.
- Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
Uptown Audio wrote:
Actually, what I understood him try to convey was that just

because
someone(anyone or any group of grad students for that matter)

reached
a single conclusion from a single test does not verify the results

as
etched in stone.

No, he said audio DBT was *impossible* because it involves *memory*.

--
-S.

Uptown Audio

Perhaps they are not the ones obsessed with dbts.
- Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Jim West" wrote in message

Michael Scarpitti wrote:
[...]

Jim West

In article , Michael Scarpitti wrote:

That's correct. It's not a 'scientifically' valid test at all. Lens
testing performed double-blind (hell, it doesn't even need to be
'blind'!) is a perfect counter-example.

You do understand that the results of a test which you administered
in non-blind conditions for yourself always giving the results that would
lead to your maximum financial gain cannot be offered as evidence that
such a test need not be performed double blind?

There's no denying the results of such a 'test'. Is such a test
'scientific'?

No. You created the images with no independent external review to
ensure that those images are the best possible with each device under
test. You administered the test under non-blind conditions. You
communicated with the test subjects during the test. Any of these
would prevent acceptance in a peer-reviewed scientific journal.

Frankly, speaking as a consumer, I would never fully trust tests such as
the one you described when presented by a place of business. No matter
how honest the business, pre-conceived notions and financial incentives
can subconsciously (and all too often consciously) affect the outcome.
That is why double blind conditions are demanded for rigorous scientific
testing.
Steven Sullivan

Uptown Audio wrote:
Actually, what I understood him try to convey was that just because
someone(anyone or any group of grad students for that matter) reached
a single conclusion from a single test does not verify the results as
etched in stone.

No, he said audio DBT was *impossible* because it involves *memory*.

That's correct. It's not a 'scientifically' valid test at all.

You can keep typing this until your keyboard wears out, and it will
still be profoundly incorrect. And since your premise is profoundly
incorrect, your inferences from it are likely to be as well.

Tell me, is it impossible for a blind person to conduct science?
Since apparently only visual information can be scientific, I mean.

--
-S.
Mkuller

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:
That's fine, and for gross differences in audio, such as between
loudspeakers, you don't need DBTs.

This is just ridiculous. What about your "well documented" preconceptions and
biases? Do they just disappear when you listen to speakers? How convenient.
If you require dbts for any audio component comparison, you should require them
for ALL of them to be consistent. At least the dbts with speakers would have a
chance at positive results since the differences may be gross. Unlike dbts
with other audio components where the flawed test swamps subtle differences.

However, for *subtle* differences between audio componnents, sighted
listening (such as your Monster comparison) is useless because any
*real* differences are swamped by well-documented perceptual bias
problems.

Perhaps you could provide some of the so-called "well documented" scientific
research that shows at exactly what point the audible threshold for perceptual
biases swamps *real* differences in sighted listening.

This leaves DBTs as the well-proven alternative, capable of
resolving subtle - but *real* - sonic differences which are beyond the
discriminative capability of sighted testing.

I don't believe flawed dbts with music, audio components and untrained
audiophiles have the proven sensitivity threshold to be valid for subtle
audible differences. IMHO that leaves long term sighted listening (with
careful level matching at the switch) as the only alternative for hearing
*real* subtle audible differences - those other than gross frequency response
and loudness.
Regards,
Mike
Steven Sullivan

Mkuller wrote:
(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:
That's fine, and for gross differences in audio, such as between
loudspeakers, you don't need DBTs.

This is just ridiculous. What about your "well documented" preconceptions and
biases? Do they just disappear when you listen to speakers? How convenient.
If you require dbts for any audio component comparison, you should require them
for ALL of them to be consistent. At least the dbts with speakers would have a
chance at positive results since the differences may be gross. Unlike dbts
with other audio components where the flawed test swamps subtle differences.

Interesting that you'd attack this point,a nd leave Mr. Scarpatti's rather
more amazing assertions uncommented upon.

Can I take it that you agree with Mr. Scarpatti's assertions DBT, then?

--
-S.

Michael Scarpitti

Jim West wrote in message ...
[...]

Sit in a dark room. Have someone flash a red light directly into your
eyes. Have another person walk in with either the same light or a very
similar one and flash the light into your eyes. Now, tell them apart.

This is a scientific test?
Steven Sullivan

Michael Scarpitti wrote:
Jim West wrote in message ...
[...]

Test of *what*? Difference? Recorvery of the eye from glare? Or what?

'Flashing' a red light directly into somone's eye is not analogous to
DBT conditions.

Try this:

Set up an ABX where the viewer can project the light from A or B onto
a screen. Allow them to do this until they are confident that a difference
exists between A and B (if they never reach that state, then its pointless to
continue: the two lights are the same to that viewer). Then project 'X' onto the screen,
which is either A or B.Allow the viewer to switch between X, A, and B as often as they like before
they decide what X is. Continue in this fashion using a random presentation
of A and B as X. Run the statistics on the results.

This would be one example of a scientific test analogous to the ABX form
of audio DBT.

--
-S.
______

Dick Pierce

"Uptown Audio" wrote in message ...
Perhaps they are not the ones obsessed with dbts.

Then perhaps, kind sir, you might explain why they start such a
large proportion and participate so heavily in the threads on
such? If they are NOT the ones obsessed with the topic, why are
they so obsessed in starting the discussions and participating in
them?

Jim West

Jim West wrote in message ...

I always wonder why those who find flaws in DBT for audio systems do not
write up their theories and submit them to the peer reviewed journals
that specialize in psycho-acoustics. Your theories would be much better
received here with the backing of favorable review.

Sit in a dark room. Have someone flash a red light directly into your
eyes. Have another person walk in with either the same light or a very
similar one and flash the light into your eyes. Now, tell them apart.

This is one of the more interesting red herrings I've encountered on
UseNet. I do not care to chase it. Do you have a response to my comments?
ludovic mirabel

Jim West wrote in message ...
[...]

The objectives (introduced artefact recognition) and selection of
subjects is completely different in psychometrics from a "test"
promoted as feasible for the run-of -the -mill audio consumers (young
and old, amplified music and chamber music listeners etc. etc.)
The difference is as much as between the rigorous medical drug
research testing with objective bodily changes validation and the
question and answer psychoacoustic test. Apples, oranges and bananas.

Ludovic Mirabel
Jim West

In article , ludovic mirabel wrote:
Jim West wrote in message ...

I always wonder why those who find flaws in DBT for audio systems do not
write up their theories and submit them to the peer reviewed journals
that specialize in psycho-acoustics. Your theories would be much better
received here with the backing of favorable review.

The objectives (introduced artefact recognition) and selection of
subjects is completely different in psychometrics from a "test"
promoted as feasible for the run-of -the -mill audio consumers (young
and old, amplified music and chamber music listeners etc. etc.)
The difference is as much as between the rigorous medical drug
research testing with objective bodily changes validation and the
question and answer psychoacoustic test. Apples, oranges and bananas.

If you are saying that it is unreasonable to expect every consumer to
perform a DBT before making a purchase, I would agree. But making the
results of controlled DBTs to those consumers who are interested is
another thing altogether. In any event, the poster to whom I responded
said that DBT for audio systems is unscientific under any conditions.
Postive peer review would certainly bolster this statement for me
personally.
Stewart Pinkerton

On 6 Oct 2003 18:16:28 GMT, (Mkuller) wrote:

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:
That's fine, and for gross differences in audio, such as between
loudspeakers, you don't need DBTs.

This is just ridiculous. What about your "well documented" preconceptions and
biases? Do they just disappear when you listen to speakers?

Certainly not, but I have never failed to obtain 100% scores on the
few occasions when I've tried it with speakers. Of course, they do
introduce additional problems of positioning, but it doesn't take long
to realise that it's pointless. OTOH, blind listening to a range of
speakers at different prices can prove *very* interesting! :-)

How convenient.
If you require dbts for any audio component comparison, you should require them
for ALL of them to be consistent.

Been there, done that. After a while, you discover two basic truths:

1) All speakers sound different

2) No cables sound different

A third truth is that many amplifiers and quite a few CD players sound
the same, so you can cut to the chase, buy a decent CD player and
amplifier, any old cables, and get on with sorting out your preference
in speakers and room treatment.

At least the dbts with speakers would have a
chance at positive results since the differences may be gross.

IME, they are *always* gross.

Unlike dbts
with other audio components where the flawed test swamps subtle differences.

Absolute rubbish! Where is the *flaw* in DBTs, aside from the fact
that they don't support your preconceptions? They're used every day in
the industry, because they have proven to be the *most* sensitive
method for revealing subtle - but *real* - sonic differences.

I don't believe flawed dbts with music, audio components and untrained
audiophiles have the proven sensitivity threshold to be valid for subtle
audible differences. IMHO that leaves long term sighted listening (with
careful level matching at the switch) as the only alternative for hearing
*real* subtle audible differences - those other than gross frequency response
and loudness.

Mike, this is absolute nonsense, and very easily disproven. Take your
'carefully matched' sighted listening, take it to the max by not
actually switching anything, and your audience will still 'hear' lots
of differences. That's why sighted listening is *useless* for subtle
difference - because it produces false positives with *no* difference.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 6 Oct 2003 21:58:50 GMT, (Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote in message ...
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 04:46:14 GMT,
(Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

I'll be brief. I'm a firm believer in DBT for objectively-verifiable
data (such as whether a given drug cures cancer) but given that sound
is fugitive, (and that consequently audio perception is inherently
non-repeatable, subjective, and not quanifiable) DBT is impossible.
Tharefore no debate on whether DBT is useful in audio is warranted.
There cannot be any such thing as DBT in audio.

Your argument is simplistic and incorrect.

There certainly *is* such a thing as DBT in audio, it's used every day
by many of the major manufacturers. In particular time-proximate ABX
testing is less reliant on memory than any other method of sonic
comparison, so all you are saying is that while you don't feel that
DBTs are valid for audio, you implicitly acknowledge that any other
comparison method is inferior.

Not necessarily. Hearing represents a peculiar set of problems for
testing. No one set of 'tests' or 'method' of testing can be
considered conclusive.

Answer the point, Scarpitti. You claim that DBTs are flawed because
they rely on memory, yet they are *less* reliant on memory than any
other method of comparing audio components. In particular, sighted
listening is easily shown to be useless for subtle difference, as it
invariably gives 'false positives' when *nothing* is actually
switched.

I can tell you this: I own Yamaha NS-1000M speakers, and I sure can
hear the difference between them and my former Rogers Studio 1
speakers.

I can tell you this: I used to own Yamaha NS1000M speakers, and I sure
can tell them apart from any other speaker. The same is true for every
speaker I ever owned. Now, just what has this irrelevance to do with
amps and cables?

Mkuller

(Mkuller) wrote:
This is just ridiculous. What about your "well documented" preconceptions

and
biases? Do they just disappear when you listen to speakers?

Pinkerton
Certainly not, but I have never failed to obtain 100% scores on the
few occasions when I've tried it with speakers.

Absolutely meaningless.

Kuller
How convenient.
If you require dbts for any audio component comparison, you should require

them
for ALL of them to be consistent.

Been there, done that. After a while, you discover two basic truths:

1) All speakers sound different

You have not proved this - you say that because some do and you've scored 100%
that you can imply they all do. Because I've never heard two amps that sound
the same, by the same token I can say they ALL sound different.

2) No cables sound different

Wrong. Many do - some are designed to.

I hate to quote Firesign Theater and say "everything you know is wrong!", but
it looks like everything you promote so vociforously here on RAHE is
questionable at best.

Pinkerton
However, for *subtle* differences between audio componnents, sighted
listening (such as your Monster comparison) is useless because any
*real* differences are swamped by well-documented perceptual bias
problems.

Kuller
Unlike dbts
with other audio components where the flawed test swamps subtle differences.

Funny, but you completely ignored this paragraph from my previous post:
"Perhaps you could provide some of the so-called "well documented"
scientific
research that shows at exactly what point the audible threshold for perceptual
biases swamps *real* differences in sighted listening."

Pinkerton
Absolute rubbish! Where is the *flaw* in DBTs, aside from the fact
that they don't support your preconceptions? They're used every day in
the industry, because they have proven to be the *most* sensitive
method for revealing subtle - but *real* - sonic differences.

Like the "ideal amplifier" or the "perpetual motion" machine, flawed but
*sensitive* dbts are the stuff of objectivist/engineering fantasy. True they
may be used by two or three companies out of the few hundreds that produce high
end products. So what?

They are only as sensitive as the program material, application and protocols
makes them; i.e. for audio components, music and amateurs they are flawed
because their lack of sensitivity overshadows *real* audible differences
resulting in neverending *null* results. Which prove nothing.
Regards,
Mike

I don't believe flawed dbts with music, audio components and untrained
audiophiles have the proven sensitivity threshold to be valid for subtle
audible differences. IMHO that leaves long term sighted listening (with
careful level matching at the switch) as the only alternative for hearing
*real* subtle audible differences - those other than gross frequency

response
and loudness.

Mike, this is absolute nonsense, and very easily disproven. Take your
'carefully matched' sighted listening, take it to the max by not
actually switching anything, and your audience will still 'hear' lots
of differences. That's why sighted listening is *useless* for subtle
difference - because it produces false positives with *no* difference.

Uptown Audio

Probably because of the supply, certainly not the demand. It is
difficult to carry-on conversations about audio or for new readers to
feel comfortable posting anything because of the ridiclous number of
posts by those that have motives other than the enjoyment of music ( I
shudder to think of the variety). There should be something along the
lines of a tec.audio.measurement group to carry-on that sort of theme
in. It has so clearly become of non-interest and a distraction to
otherwise polite and helpful posters that the group has had to
specifically monitor threads for just that sort of thing. A shame
really. Of course everyone is free to either offer other ideas or
continue pounding downward this spiral. BTW, thank you for refering to
me as a "kind sir". For a minute there, I thought it to be merely
personal, sarcastic and a violation of the charter and of the larger
groups respect for civility.
- Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Dick Pierce" wrote in message
"Uptown Audio" wrote in message

Perhaps they are not the ones obsessed with dbts.

Then perhaps, kind sir, you might explain why they start such a
large proportion and participate so heavily in the threads on
such? If they are NOT the ones obsessed with the topic, why are
they so obsessed in starting the discussions and participating in
them?

Michael Scarpitti

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote in message ...
On 6 Oct 2003 21:58:50 GMT,
(Michael

Scarpitti) wrote:

[...]

Not at all. Besides, some things are revealed only with long-term listening.

In particular, sighted
listening is easily shown to be useless for subtle difference, as it
invariably gives 'false positives' when *nothing* is actually
switched.

I can tell you this: I own Yamaha NS-1000M speakers, and I sure can
hear the difference between them and my former Rogers Studio 1
speakers.

I can tell you this: I used to own Yamaha NS1000M speakers, and I sure
can tell them apart from any other speaker. The same is true for every
speaker I ever owned. Now, just what has this irrelevance to do with
amps and cables?

That one's ears are sensitive.
Stewart Pinkerton

On 7 Oct 2003 22:41:42 GMT, "Uptown Audio"
wrote:

Probably because of the supply, certainly not the demand. It is
difficult to carry-on conversations about audio or for new readers to
feel comfortable posting anything because of the ridiclous number of
posts by those that have motives other than the enjoyment of music ( I
shudder to think of the variety). There should be something along the
lines of a tec.audio.measurement group to carry-on that sort of theme
in.

Another classic strawman argument, by an audio dealer who must also be
presumed to 'have motives other than the enjoyment of music' . Why is
it that we keep seeing this 'meter beater' argument, when it's clear
that DBTs are a *listening* test?

Stewart Pinkerton

Scarpitti) wrote:

[...]

There's no time limit on DBTs. Answer the point, Scarpitti. You claim
that DBTs are flawed because they rely on memory, yet they are *less*
reliant on memory than any other method of comparing audio components.
And now you want to claim that *long term* comparisons are better?

In particular, sighted
listening is easily shown to be useless for subtle difference, as it
invariably gives 'false positives' when *nothing* is actually
switched.

I can tell you this: I own Yamaha NS-1000M speakers, and I sure can
hear the difference between them and my former Rogers Studio 1
speakers.

I can tell you this: I used to own Yamaha NS1000M speakers, and I sure
can tell them apart from any other speaker. The same is true for every
speaker I ever owned. Now, just what has this irrelevance to do with
amps and cables?

That one's ears are sensitive.

Indeed so, and most sensitive when they operate alone, without prior
*knowledge* of which component is connected. Why is it that people
like you cry "trust your ears", and yet you refuse to trust *only*
your ears?

Mkuller

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:
Certainly not, but I have never failed to obtain 100% scores on the
few occasions when I've tried it with speakers.

Absolutely meaningless.

Nope, it proves the point that the differences are gross. By *your
own* criteria, you must admit this. I am becoming tired of your
continual use of sophistry to avoid meaningful debate. In fact, I'm
becoming tired of this whole ludicrous forum, where ducking, diving
and distortion have become the norm for the 'subjectivists'.

Stewart - here's the rest of my post you failed to answer - once again.

[...]

It appears to me you are no longer interested in discussing this topic since
I'm raising questions you are unable to answer. My conclusion is that you are
not interested in finding the TRUTH ("you can't handle the truth") but in using
debating tactics and getting in the last word.
Regards,
Mike
ludovic mirabel

Jim West wrote in message ...

[...]

Two questions: How will you select your test subjects for a
"controlled DBT"?
I'd want to know , what age, what training and ABX aptitude they have
shown and last but not least what kind of music they've been exposed
to. The car audio lovers wouldn't value my opinion. And vice versa.
Secondly- please find a reference to ONE SINGLE positive panel
component comparison that was using ABX. Such a thing does not exist.
They were ALL said by their proctors to have negative outcome. (Review
"ABX- is it useful?" and "ABX-the new horizons" threads in RAHE)
Ludovic Mirabel.
Steven Sullivan

Jim West wrote in message ...

[...]

Audiophile magazine reviewers who routinely reports audible differences in amps
and cables and CD transports to the public, would be a logical choice.
Let's test *their* claims, since their claims drive a significant
part of the high-end industry.

And what the heck, let's throw in those who strenuously object, here , to skeptical
questions about their claims of difference. You included.

Any objections, Mr. Mirabel?

--
-S.
______

ludovic mirabel

ludovic mirabel wrote:

Two questions: How will you select your test subjects for a
"controlled DBT"?

Mr. Sullivan:
Audiophile magazine reviewers who routinely reports audible differences in amps
and cables and CD transports to the public, would be a logical choice.
Let's test *their* claims, since their claims drive a significant
part of the high-end industry.

And what the heck, let's throw in those who strenuously object, here , to skeptical
questions about their claims of difference. You included.

Who "asked me skeptical questions" about which my "claims of
difference"? How about a quote?- I understand paraphrase is not
acceptable in RAHE.
Any objections, Mr. Mirabel?

None whatsoever. I'm happy you asked me that question. All I
have to do is to requote the next sentence in my posting. Exactly
where you cut me off. It was:
"I'd want to know , what age, what training and ABX aptitude
they have shown and last but not least what kind of music they've been
exposed to. ".
Aptitude first: I happen to be hopeless at ABXing.
Panel selection second: Did the reviewers,- whom you say you
despise but apparently continue to read, (why on earth?)- claim to be
good at your "controlled DBT"? If so when and where?
Panel selection third: Would you oblige and quote evidence
that your "controlled DBT" ( a cryptonim for ABX, I presume) doesn't
interfere with perceptions of many subjects ( including myself and
presumably some reviewers)
I documented that 80% of "expert audiophiles" in Greenhill's
cable test failed to identify 1,75 db volume difference when ABXing
and
40% of supertrained professionals in S.Olive's Revelspeakers
"listening room" test, and most of his untrained subjects in his
loudspeaker test (see the recent thread) similarly failed at
relatively simple tasks- recognising frequency bumps and dips and
distinguishing unlike loudspeakers. Do you have documentation to the
contrary?.
So my results on comparing anything whatsoever by ABX would
be
guaranteed to make you happy:"They all sound the same". Checking it
would be a waste of time. But no, no objection. Always anxious to
please.
But we don't know about you Mr. Sullivan. Could it be that
you too get the same answer in all of your ABX research? How would you
know when you're wrong if all you have been getting were "It all
sounds the same"? Could that be the cause of your irritation with
those who rely on other methods?
How about trying to listen with your ears without ABX in
the way? Who knows? You might get to like it.
Ludovic Mirabel