Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
[email protected] J.W.T.Smith@kent.ac.uk is offline

Default Vinyl to CD on a PC

Hi,

My middle-aged PC (Athlon 700 / 256Mb / 30 Gig) has no sound card and I
want to buy one. I also want to transfer some of my favourite vinyl to
CD. Can I do this with a basic soundcard + software or would I do
better to buy a more advanced soundcard maybe with its associated
software?

Thanks for any info.

John Smith.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote ...
J.W.T.Smith wrote:
My middle-aged PC (Athlon 700 / 256Mb / 30 Gig) has no sound card and
I want to buy one. I also want to transfer some of my favourite vinyl
to CD. Can I do this with a basic soundcard + software or would I do
better to buy a more advanced soundcard maybe with its associated
software?

Thanks for any info.

John Smith.

Any ordinary sound card will do. The card will come with software or
you can download freeware to record, such as Goldwave or Audiograbber.

Your machine could already have a sound card, or one could be built
into the main board, just disabled via a jumper and/or in the machine
BIOS.

Most machines of this vintage would have come with some sort of sound
card, unless you built it yourself or pulled the old card for some
reason.

Yes, everything that Mr. Zacharias said. But remember
that you cannot plug a turntable directly into any sound
card. You need a phono (aka "RIAA" or "gramophone")
preamp of some kind. You can buy a small, standalone
box, or you could use the preamp built into your receiver
(use the "Tape Out") to plug into the line-in of the PC's
soundcard, etc.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Jim Jim is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

My middle-aged PC (Athlon 700 / 256Mb / 30 Gig) has no sound card and I
want to buy one. I also want to transfer some of my favourite vinyl to
CD. Can I do this with a basic soundcard + software or would I do
better to buy a more advanced soundcard maybe with its associated
software?

Thanks for any info.

John Smith.

It would be easier and much faster to install Limewire and SoulSeek, then
get all your favourites as MP3 files. Don't forget PeerGuardian and a
decent firewall.
Any sound card would do providing you can find one to run on your system.
256MB RAM would be a bit of a concern.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

In article ,
Jim wrote:
Any sound card would do providing you can find one to run on your
system. 256MB RAM would be a bit of a concern.

I don't understand PCs, but isn't it going near enough straight to HD?

--
*I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
trackermusic trackermusic is offline

Check to see if there is a built in soundcard on your motherboard. An easy
way to check would be to look behind the computer case and see if you have 3
audio jacks (line in, line out, mic).
You can transfer your vinyl's to cd with any soundcard. I have an onboard
ac97 soundcard on my motherboard that I use. It supports 44khz 16bit stereo,
which will give you cd quality sound.You can find info on how to do it he

http://www.pcabusers.net/vinyllp/vinyllp.htm

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

My middle-aged PC (Athlon 700 / 256Mb / 30 Gig) has no sound card and I
want to buy one. I also want to transfer some of my favourite vinyl to
CD. Can I do this with a basic soundcard + software or would I do
better to buy a more advanced soundcard maybe with its associated
software?

Thanks for any info.

John Smith.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

My middle-aged PC (Athlon 700 / 256Mb / 30 Gig) has no sound card and I
want to buy one. I also want to transfer some of my favourite vinyl to
CD. Can I do this with a basic soundcard + software or would I do
better to buy a more advanced soundcard maybe with its associated
software?

Thanks for any info.

John Smith.

What you need is a phono preamp and a sound card. I recommend a Creative
Sound Blaster Audigy, which is pretty cheap at about $28, and a separate
phono preamp; I bought one from MCM Electronics for $20. You then need some
recording software. There's a ton of it free for the asking. I recommend
Audacity.

Norm Strong

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

Rob wrote:
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 12:20:56 GMT, "Mark D. Zacharias"

Hi,

My middle-aged PC (Athlon 700 / 256Mb / 30 Gig) has no sound card
and

Any ordinary sound card will do. The card will come with software or
you can download freeware to record, such as Goldwave

Mark Z.

Goldwave is not freeware.

My bad.

mz

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

My middle-aged PC (Athlon 700 / 256Mb / 30 Gig) has no sound card and I
want to buy one. I also want to transfer some of my favourite vinyl to
CD. Can I do this with a basic soundcard + software or would I do
better to buy a more advanced soundcard maybe with its associated
software?

**A Soundblaster Audigy is cheap and will do a superb job. There are more
expensive cards available, but the differences, with LP recording, will be
purely academic. The software supplied works a treat too. If your computer
has on-board sound, forget it. All the ones I've measured are crap.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Jim wrote:
Any sound card would do providing you can find one to run on your
system. 256MB RAM would be a bit of a concern.

I don't understand PCs, but isn't it going near enough straight to HD?

Yes, and most wave editors will work quite happily on a stereo file with 256
MB RAM. Even less if you don't use Win XP.

MrT.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

"Trevor Wilson" wrote...
**A Soundblaster Audigy is cheap and will do a superb job. There are
more expensive cards available, but the differences, with LP
recording, will be purely academic. The software supplied works a
treat too. If your computer has on-board sound, forget it. All the
ones I've measured are crap.

And soundblaster aren't?

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Trevor Wilson" wrote...
**A Soundblaster Audigy is cheap and will do a superb job. There are more
expensive cards available, but the differences, with LP recording, will
be purely academic. The software supplied works a treat too. If your
computer has on-board sound, forget it. All the ones I've measured are
crap.

And soundblaster aren't?

**I've measured the Audigy and found that it's performance is very
satisfactory. One can buy better performance, at around 3 times the price,
however. My own on-board sound was so bad, I thought it was faulty. I sent
it back for replacement. The replacement was identically bad. It was a
Gigabyte MoBo. I then swapped to an Asus MoBo and discovered REALLY bad
performance.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

In article ,
Mr.T MrT@home wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article , Jim
wrote:
Any sound card would do providing you can find one to run on your
system. 256MB RAM would be a bit of a concern.

I don't understand PCs, but isn't it going near enough straight to HD?

Yes, and most wave editors will work quite happily on a stereo file with
256 MB RAM. Even less if you don't use Win XP.

When I first started doing this under RISC OS, I was happily 'topping and
tailing' LP tracks with 30 MB of RAM.

--
*Corduroy pillows are making headlines.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

"Trevor Wilson" wrote...

**A Soundblaster Audigy is cheap and will do a superb
job. There are more expensive cards available, but the
differences, with LP recording, will be purely academic.
The software supplied works a treat too. If your
computer has on-board sound, forget it. All the ones
I've measured are crap.

Obviouisly, Trevor hasn't measured any current product, particularly the
products I mentioned in another post on this thread. They are typically what
I'd call -80 dB products - spurious responses and noise are about that far
down. On the best day of its life, Vinyl is what I'd call a -70 dB format,
and that's being generous and allowing for true SOTA approaches.

And soundblaster aren't?

Depends which SoundBlaster and how you use it. The old SoundBlaster 16 and
64 were pretty bad for recording. The Live! started out marginal for
recording, but over the years they've improved it to the point where it is
good enough for transcribing vinyl. The Audigy started out as an improvement
on the original Live!, and has also improved over the years and stayed equal
or ahead of the improvements to the Live!, which continues as a
budget-priced product. The current "Live 24bit" PCI card is not really what
I'd call a 24 bit card, but its pretty good at 16/44

Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB:+0.07, -0.18 (falls off
rapidly above 18 KHz)
Noise level, dB (A): -103.6 Only about a dB worse unweighted.
Dynamic range, dB (A): 92.0 About the same unweighted.
THD, %:0.0067 Lots of spurious responses 95 or more dB down.
IMD, %:0.014 All IM products (18 & 20 KHz) about 95 dB down.
Stereo crosstalk, dB: -101.
IMD at 10 kHz, %:0.014 Rising to about -90 dB at 18 KHz or so.

Not bad for a cheap little PCI card that retails for about $30. The USB
product under the same name is IME far poorer than this, and is worse than
its predecessor, the SoundBlaster USB MP3. Just to compound it's
inferiority, it requires special drivers, while the predecessor product
works fine with the USB drivers that come with XP.

What you get from better audio interfaces $200 is that everything is 5-10
dB better, and the interface may well be capable of operation @ 24/96 and
even sometimes 24/192 data formats. Obviously, true 24 bit performance is
highly elusive, but 16 bit performace is not uncommon, even in budget
products.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

In article , Arny Krueger
writes
[...]

Course the interface from the soundcard and PC isn't all that wonderful
sometimes. One I had used to buzz like no ones bizz unless the monitor
was turned off, makes a mockery of the 100 odd noise figures!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Jeff Findley Jeff Findley is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

My middle-aged PC (Athlon 700 / 256Mb / 30 Gig) has no sound card and I
want to buy one. I also want to transfer some of my favourite vinyl to
CD. Can I do this with a basic soundcard + software or would I do
better to buy a more advanced soundcard maybe with its associated
software?

Get a good phono pre-amp and hook that between your turntable and PC's sound
card. I can't recommend a sound card since I use my old Sony Minidisc deck
to do the analog to digital conversion then feed its optical digital output
into my PC sound card's optical digital input. I like the fact that I can
use the Minidisc decks VU meters instead of the ones on the PC recording
software. So for me, I got a really cheap sound card that had an optical
digital input (and optical digital output for going the other way).

For software I typically use:

CD Wave (http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/) - Shareware recording and
splitting software. Insures that track splits are on the correct boundaries
for burning Audio CD's so you won't hear a click or pop when you split
tracks on an album that doesn't have silence between the tracks. There is
no time limit to the trial period on this shareware. I record as a .wav
file.

Depopper (http://www.droidinfo.com/software/depopper/) - Shareware to remove
clicks and pops from vynil which has been recorded as a .wav file. I
typically run this before I split the album into tracks. It will take a
while to run on your older PC, so try it with a short piece of music first,
so you can get a feel for how the settings work. The downside is the UI
isn't very easy to use. You enter numbers for a lot of the settings and
it's hard to get a feel for what numbers you ought to use. Also, it's got a
30 day trial period before you need to pay for it. But I think it's worth
the price, once you find settings that work well for the music you've got.

Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) - Freeware (open source) audio
recording and editing program. Works reasonably well, but I find I don't
typically use it for vinyl to CD type work as it's harder to use than CD
Wave for recording and track splitting and I never figured out how to remove
clicks and pops without a lot of manual editing. It's easy to use Audacity
to "amplify" the sound so the peak is at 0 decibels. I typically do this on
an album side after running Depopper since pops tend to be the loudest part
of the .wav file. The upside is it's free and it's pretty good for actual
music editing. I typically use it for cutting music down to a shorter time
for my daughter's dance team (usually they're limited to a couple of minutes
per routine).

So I typically do this:

1. Record a side of an album as a .wav using CD Wave making sure that you
don't get clipping.
2. Run that .wav through Depopper go get rid of clicks and pops.
3. Run that .wav through Audacity to "amplify" the .wav to get the peak at
0 decibels (no clipping).
4. Run that .wav through CD Wave to split it into tracks and give each of
them a name (typically something like "01 - First track name.wav", "02 -
Second track name.wav", and etc. If you also want an .mp3, CD Wave will
work with the Lame MP3 encoder so when you're splitting the tracks, you can
get both .wav and .mp3 tracks.
5. Burn the CD using the .wav tracks using whatever CD recording software
you wish (I use whatever came with my CD/DVD Burner). I burn "Disc at once"
so you don't get unwanted gaps between the tracks. With today's high speed
CD-R's, I typically burn at 8x, which seems to work well in my 90's era and
newer CD players that will play CD-R's.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

"tony sayer" wrote in message
Course the interface from the soundcard and PC isn't all that wonderful
sometimes. One I had used to buzz like no ones bizz unless the monitor
was turned off, makes a mockery of the 100 odd noise figures!..

Could have been a bad monitor. I personally use my Minidisc recorder to do
the analog to digital conversion (push the Input button with the unit ON but
no MD in the unit) and run it's optical digital output to the PC sound
card's optical digital input. That way I'm not getting any electrical noise
from a cheap sound card or other computer peripheral.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

wrote:
Any sound card would do providing you can find one to run on your
system. 256MB RAM would be a bit of a concern.

I don't understand PCs, but isn't it going near enough straight to HD?

Yes, and most wave editors will work quite happily on a stereo file with
256 MB RAM. Even less if you don't use Win XP.

When I first started doing this under RISC OS, I was happily 'topping and
tailing' LP tracks with 30 MB of RAM.

Many of us did the same on 64 meg machines running Win95, using CoolEdit 96.
A glance at the archives shows that the original CoolEdit ran under Windows
3.1 - probably on machines as small as 4 megs, if not 16 megs.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Glenn Richards" wrote in message
If you want higher quality go for a USB external sound card such as
Creative Extigy. This keeps sensitive audio circuits away from
electrically "noisy" PC hardware.

Why does this furphy still exist. On of the very best audio adapters
available is an internal sound card, and MOST are better than the Extigy.

Vinyl to CD... there's several ways of doing this, but the best one is
to hook your turntable (via a phono pre-amp) to a standalone CD recorder
and record onto a rewritable audio CD. Then extract the recording using
EAC, cdparanoia etc and load it into the appropriate software to clean
it up.

What a lot of extra work (not to mention cost!) for *NO* extra benefit.

The Wave editor that comes with the full version of Nero Burning ROM has
a very good noise reduction and declicker filter, and I've had very good
results from this when transferring vinyl using the method above.

Whatever works for you I guess, but there are better, easier and cheaper
ways of doing it.
What is not mentioned though is the quality will mostly depend on the
turntable/cartridge used, and the use of a proper record cleaning machine.

MrT.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

In article ,
Glenn Richards wrote:
wrote:

My middle-aged PC (Athlon 700 / 256Mb / 30 Gig) has no sound card and I
want to buy one. I also want to transfer some of my favourite vinyl to
CD. Can I do this with a basic soundcard + software or would I do
better to buy a more advanced soundcard maybe with its associated
software?

Sound card - pretty much anything if you just want to get pings and
chimes when you get new emails.

Eh? A sound card has little to do with the computer's internally generated
SFX. It's for digitising external analogue audio, or accepting digital
audio via a conventional digital audio port. It should also give you a
high quality sound output separate to and not including the computer's SFX
audio buss.

If you want higher quality go for a USB external sound card such as
Creative Extigy. This keeps sensitive audio circuits away from
electrically "noisy" PC hardware.

A carefully designed internal card can give satisfactory results.

Vinyl to CD... there's several ways of doing this, but the best one is
to hook your turntable (via a phono pre-amp) to a standalone CD recorder
and record onto a rewritable audio CD. Then extract the recording using
EAC, cdparanoia etc and load it into the appropriate software to clean
it up.

What a long winded way to do things.

The Wave editor that comes with the full version of Nero Burning ROM has
a very good noise reduction and declicker filter, and I've had very good
results from this when transferring vinyl using the method above.

If you're going to use such software the quality of the sound card becomes
pretty meaningless.

--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Eiron Eiron is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The Wave editor that comes with the full version of Nero Burning ROM has
a very good noise reduction and declicker filter, and I've had very good
results from this when transferring vinyl using the method above.

If you're going to use such software the quality of the sound card becomes
pretty meaningless.

Not necessarily. After declicking, I compared the result to the original
by subtracting one from the other and the result was silence with an
occasional click. This proved that it has no adverse effects.
Can't say anything about noise reduction, except that it is unnecessary.

--
Eiron.
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 07:36:17 +0100, Glenn Richards
wrote:

Sound card - pretty much anything if you just want to get pings and
chimes when you get new emails.

If you want higher quality go for a USB external sound card such as
Creative Extigy. This keeps sensitive audio circuits away from
electrically "noisy" PC hardware.

Myth. An internal card can be fine. The Extigy is rather
cheap-and-nasty though. Creative cards are generally considered just
off the bottom of the scale for serious audio use. Get the ubiquitous
(and cheaper than an Audigy :-) M-Audio 2496 pci card. (God - I get
tired of typing that advice. But it's still good :-)
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 08:34:14 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Sound card - pretty much anything if you just want to get pings and
chimes when you get new emails.

Eh? A sound card has little to do with the computer's internally generated
SFX. It's for digitising external analogue audio, or accepting digital
audio via a conventional digital audio port. It should also give you a
high quality sound output separate to and not including the computer's SFX
audio buss.

So what's going to play the system sounds? (Though musicians and
recordists generally turn them off.)
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

In article ,
Eiron wrote:
If you're going to use such software the quality of the sound card
becomes pretty meaningless.

Not necessarily. After declicking, I compared the result to the original
by subtracting one from the other and the result was silence with an
occasional click. This proved that it has no adverse effects.

Could be. In my experience they work ok on a disk that just has normal
surface noise that I'd accept anyway. On poor discs I don't like what they
do.

Can't say anything about noise reduction, except that it is unnecessary.

Of course for many the removal of any hiss is vital. It isn't for me if it
existed in the first place - as with near all analogue recordings.

--
*How much deeper would the oceans be without sponges? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

In article ,
Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote:
Eh? A sound card has little to do with the computer's internally
generated SFX. It's for digitising external analogue audio, or
accepting digital audio via a conventional digital audio port. It
should also give you a high quality sound output separate to and not
including the computer's SFX audio buss.

So what's going to play the system sounds? (Though musicians and
recordists generally turn them off.)

The computer's internal sound system? You don't really want that buss
added to the output of a sound card.

--
*When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Adam Sampson Adam Sampson is offline

Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom writes:

Get the ubiquitous (and cheaper than an Audigy :-) M-Audio 2496 pci
card. (God - I get tired of typing that advice. But it's still
good :-)

I'll second that advice. I bought one a couple of years ago and I'm
delighted with it -- not just for the low noise floor and decent
control over sampling rates, but also for the convenience of finally
having phono connectors on a soundcard rather than needing to mess
around with 3.5mm jacks!

--
Adam Sampson http://offog.org/
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Geoff" wrote in message
Unless they otherwise unobtainium,

And there's the reason, a lot never made it to CD. Even some that have made
it to CD at some stage or other are difficult to obtain. I expect that may
gradually change as more music finds it's way onto MP3 downloads. And whilst
I would rather have a non compressed format, a decent MP3 will be no worse
than a vinyl transfer in most cases.

the novelty of LP-CD transfers will wear off after approx 3 LPs.
Especially if you subsequently hear a real CD of the album.

I suspect your turntable/cartridge and record condition plays a large part
in your dissatisfaction though.

MrT.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
DAFXStudio DAFXStudio is offline

You may try the DAFXStudio ( http://www.dafxstudio.com ) for audio
enhancement and modification.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

In article ,
Mr.T MrT@home wrote:
And whilst I would rather have a non compressed format, a decent MP3
will be no worse than a vinyl transfer in most cases.

The CD you make at home should sound exactly like the LP since it's been
made using the same turntable, etc. If it doesn't, you're doing something
wrong. Of course many long since disposed of their turntable etc but not
LP collection then decide to digitise some of it using something bought
off ebay and wonder why it doesn't seem to sound quite as good as they
fondly remember...

--
*The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

In article . com,
DAFXStudio wrote:
You may try the DAFXStudio ( http://www.daftstudio.com ) for audio
enhancement and modification.

Yes - the karaoke application is just what's needed.

--
*Ham and Eggs: Just a day's work for a chicken, but a lifetime commitment

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 09:09:01 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

The CD you make at home should sound exactly like the LP since it's been
made using the same turntable, etc.

Trouble is, it will. And without the romance of expensive antique
hardware, you'll notice how ropey it sounds.
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
And whilst I would rather have a non compressed format, a decent MP3
will be no worse than a vinyl transfer in most cases.

The CD you make at home should sound exactly like the LP since it's been
made using the same turntable, etc.

Exactly, but that will probably be quite different to an MP3 made from a CD
track.

Of course many long since disposed of their turntable etc but not
LP collection then decide to digitise some of it using something bought
off ebay and wonder why it doesn't seem to sound quite as good as they
fondly remember...

Which is why I said the turntable/cartridge and record quality is far more
important than the choice of soundcard these days.

MrT.

Why would someone like LP? Helen Schmidt High End Audio 376 July 22nd 05 01:07 AM
Swap Vinyl Save Cash! swapthing Marketplace 0 March 5th 05 08:11 PM
Timing Michael Mossey High End Audio 58 January 7th 05 09:19 PM
CD verses vinyl - help clear dispute WideGlide Pro Audio 188 March 13th 04 10:23 PM
SOTA vinyl mastering Thom Halvorsen High End Audio 26 October 24th 03 12:41 AM