S888Wheel

Default Speaker Recommendations

If you like the Vandersteen sound then stick with the 3As. It's tough to beat
Vandersteen at any price point.
Marc Phillips

Don said:

I'm looking to replace my Vandersteen 1B speakers. Time to take a
step up. I like the Vandersteen sound, so I've been thinking about
the 3A Signatures. I want to demo others, though, and am considering
Martin Logan, Pro-Ac, Paradigm, and Monitor Audio. I have a Plinius
Mk I integrated amp, listen mostly to classical music, and will be
placing the speakers on the shorter wall of a 15' x 26' room. Any
thoughts or comments about these speakers, or are there any others I
should also consider in this price range? Appreciate any suggestions
anyone may have.

I bet a pair of Harbeth Compact 7-es speakers would blow your mind.

Boon
S888Wheel

I bet a pair of Harbeth Compact 7-es speakers would blow your mind.

Boon

OK where can I go hear them. I am curious now.
Marc Phillips

S888Wheel said:

I bet a pair of Harbeth Compact 7-es speakers would blow your mind.

Boon

OK where can I go hear them. I am curious now.

At the risk of having Richard Malesweski stomping up and down and pointing his
finger (as if anyone pays attention to him anymore), the dealer I go to, Gene
Rubin, carries them. Check out www.generubinaudio.com.

The Compact 7s are $2200 per pair, which is why I recommended them to the
original poster. The Compact 7s do really well in small rooms. The Monitor
30s, which we discussed before, are about a grand more, and need a little more
room, even though they are smaller than the Compact 7s. (They have a much more
forward presentation than the Compact 7s.)

Both are beat by Quads, but consider that a pair of 988s are now $6500 per
pair.

Boon

Marc Phillips

ScottW said:

(Marc Phillips) wrote in message
S888Wheel said:

[...]

Stereo Design has pair of 63's. I listened to the 988s long and hard
before I bought the 63's. I just didn't hear much difference. Both
setups had a sub added, might be why.

http://www.stereodesign.com/used/usedlist.htm

The Devil, who owns both, pretty much says the same thing, that there isn't a
huge difference between the 988 and the 63.

Boon