John L Rice

Default art tube mp mic preamp

I met a guy recently that really likes his Rode NT mic ( NT100? ) with his
ART Tube MP. I haven't tried my Rode NTV with my Tube MP but I didn't like
anything I have tried with it except using it as a bass DI.

You are probably going to have to spend several hundred dollars at least to
get a pre that will be a noticeable improvement over the pres in your Spirit
board. That said, you can get some inexpensive things that will at least
sound different.

Behringer makes a pre that looks a lot like the ART unit and I'd be
surprised if it didn't sound as good or better than the original Tube MP.
It's also only $39 street price new!
http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp...o_Proces sors

A better value than the ART Tube MP IMHO would be the PreSonus Blue Tube. It
sounds better and has a wider range of 'sounds' and is about $150 street for
the 2 channel unit :
http://www.presonus.com/html/products/bluetube.html
They also have the single channel TubePre which 'I think' is the same as a
half of a Blue Tube but I'm not sure.

I haven't tried one but I've read positive reviews of the Studio Projects
VTB1 and it's within your budget :
http://www.studioprojectsusa.com/vtb1.html

Another pre that is within your budget ( if you find a used one ) is the
Symetrix 302 or the discontinues SX202. It doesn't have a toob in it but
it's a clean reliable 2 channel preamp that has been around a while and
probably gets the most respect for under $300 preamps.

Best of luck!

John L Rice

"Mogse" wrote in message
thanks for the reply
my budget for a second hand preamp is £150 ($220)

rnp seem to be very expensive

i saw an Art tube mp mic preamp for sale and was wondering if this
will give me professional results with an nt2 mic?

No.

i'm looking for clarity and warmth.
if somebody could recommend a good preamp that would be appreciated

Real Nice Preamp (RNP).

Peace,
Paul

Andrew M.

the Behringer and the DBX rip off of the ART SUCK! check out some of the
newer ART stuff and you will be very happy with it. I especially like
the Digital MPA from ART. It's a SWEET preamp.

"Mogse" wrote in message

thanks for the reply
my budget for a second hand preamp is £150 ($220)

rnp seem to be very expensive

i saw an Art tube mp mic preamp for sale and was wondering if this
will give me professional results with an nt2 mic?

No.

i'm looking for clarity and warmth.
if somebody could recommend a good preamp that would be appreciated

Real Nice Preamp (RNP).

Peace,
Paul

Josh Snider

You could get professional results with an sm58 a bit of string and a tin
can, providing you knew how to use them properly.

I doubt you'll find clairity and warmth out of the mini-pre or the Tube MP.

They will likely only be a slight step above the pre's in your notepad. As
for other suggestions in that price range, well I've got none. I can't
think of any other mic pres in the $150-$200CDN range that will do what you
want. But you might want to check out the DBX 586 (if you really want
tubes) or the 286A Vocal pre-amp. Acctually the 586 may have been
discontinued.
At any rate, donıt' buy something cheap now and just get fed up and have to
spend more down the road. Keep it simple now, and wait till you can afford
a proper mic pre/signal chain into your computer.

in article , Mogse at
wrote on 9/7/03 11.43:

i'm on a low budget looking for a preamp to go with either a nt2 or
shure ksm mic

i'm currently using a nt1 and a spirit folio notepad mixer mic input
for a preamp which i want to upgrade

i saw an Art tube mp mic preamp for sale and was wondering if this
will give me professional results with an nt2 mic?

i'm looking for clarity and warmth.
if somebody could recommend a good preamp that would be appreciated

thanks
mogse

--
josh.snider