Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve[_19_] Steve[_19_] is offline

Default Where to now? Mics? Preamps?

Hi everyone;

It's tax time and I stand to get some money back from the government.
I was planning on turning this money into upgrading some of my studio
gear. Generally I am happy with my current gear but am always looking
to get something better. Here's some of my best gear:

Preamps:
Focusrite Twintrack Pro
FMR RNP

Microphones:
LDD - Electrovoice RE20
SDC - Rode NT5 stereo pair
LDC - AKG C4000B (currently using on the batter side of my kick drum),
Studio Projects C1
Stereo SDC - Audio Technica AT825 (usually use on my camcorder)
In addition the usual collection of SM57/58s, AKG C1000S, D112 are
also in my studio.

I generally do tracking in my unfinished basement. I have been doing
rock bands (and for the male vocals I am pleased with the RE-20 RNP
combo). I also do the odd live recording with my Rode NT5's.

I am currently looking at:
A pair of AKG C414s (XLS or XL II?) or One Neumann TLM103 to replace
my C4000B/Studio Projects/AKG C1000s mics.

Based on my current preamp/mic combos would I see any significant
improvement in sound using these higher end consenser mics or should I
look at going with a better preamp?

Thanks in advance!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 4, 11:58 am, Steve wrote:
It's tax time and I stand to get some money back from the government.
I was planning on turning this money into upgrading some of my studio
gear.

A few thoughts:

1. Finish your basement (acoustic treatment - everybody needs some)

2. How about your monitors and monitoring environment? Can you really
hear what you're doing accurately?

3. Take a vacation. Everything will either sound better when you
return or a lot worse and you'll know just what you need to replace
(if you still have any money left).
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"Steve" wrote in message

I am currently looking at:
A pair of AKG C414s (XLS or XL II?) or One Neumann TLM103 to replace
my C4000B/Studio Projects/AKG C1000s mics.

Based on my current preamp/mic combos would I see any significant
improvement in sound using these higher end consenser mics or should I
look at going with a better preamp?

You will get improvements when you use almost *anything* instead of those
C4000 and C1000 mics. The C414 xls is a nice neutral microphone that will do
lots of things well. The TLM103 is a little sibilant for my tastes most of
the time.

Take a listen to a Microtech Gefell M930 as well. It does an amazing number
of jobs well, including some that would normally call for small-diaphragm
mics.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Paul Stamler wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

I am currently looking at:
A pair of AKG C414s (XLS or XL II?) or One Neumann TLM103 to replace
my C4000B/Studio Projects/AKG C1000s mics.

Based on my current preamp/mic combos would I see any significant
improvement in sound using these higher end consenser mics or should
I look at going with a better preamp?

You will get improvements when you use almost *anything* instead of
those C4000 and C1000 mics. The C414 xls is a nice neutral microphone
that will do lots of things well. The TLM103 is a little sibilant for
my tastes most of the time.

Take a listen to a Microtech Gefell M930 as well. It does an amazing
number of jobs well, including some that would normally call for
small-diaphragm mics.

I had a C4000B once, and found it the least offensive of the CxxxxB mics,
beautiful big warm bass end. But I did end up flicking it ...

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve[_19_] Steve[_19_] is offline

On Mar 4, 12:05*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
On Mar 4, 11:58 am, Steve wrote:

It's tax time and I stand to get some money back from the government.
I was planning on turning this money into upgrading some of my studio
gear.

A few thoughts:

1. Finish your basement (acoustic treatment - everybody needs some)

2. How about your monitors and monitoring environment? Can you really
hear what you're doing accurately?

3. Take a vacation. Everything will either sound better when you
return or a lot worse and you'll know just what you need to replace
(if you still have any money left).

1. Yeah, I have been putting that one off for a good reason. If I
finish the "studio" part of the basement the rest of it has to be done
(directions from the boss)

2. I am using KRK RP5's with an RP10s subwoofer. I am liking this
setup and it's in the same room as my studio so I am sure it could use
some treatment. In that case please see response to #1.

3. I have a 2 year old and a 6 month pregnant wife. Taking them
anywhere but the mall for a few hours is about as far as I am willing
to go at this point (both can go from zero to very cranky in a matter
of seconds depending on the environment). :-) Besides, I get a 3-4
hour vacation every night in my studio when they are in bed. When I
am working on a project I do take a day or two off and give my ears a
break between mixes. That is definately good advice. It's saved me
from sending out mistakes a couple of times.

Thanks for the advice!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve[_19_] Steve[_19_] is offline

On Mar 4, 1:19*pm, "Paul Stamler" wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

I am currently looking at:
A pair of AKG C414s (XLS or XL II?) or One Neumann TLM103 to replace
my C4000B/Studio Projects/AKG C1000s mics.

Based on my current preamp/mic combos would I see any significant
improvement in sound using these higher end consenser mics or should I
look at going with a better preamp?

You will get improvements when you use almost *anything* instead of those
C4000 and C1000 mics. The C414 xls is a nice neutral microphone that will do
lots of things well. The TLM103 is a little sibilant for my tastes most of
the time.

Take a listen to a Microtech Gefell M930 as well. It does an amazing number
of jobs well, including some that would normally call for small-diaphragm
mics.

Peace,
Paul

Paul;

I am always looking for the Swiss Army type mics that can be used for
many applications (especially at the C414s price point). Nice to know
the C414 can be used this way.

Thanks;
Steve
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve[_19_] Steve[_19_] is offline

On Mar 4, 4:35*pm, "geoff" wrote:
Paul Stamler wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

I am currently looking at:
A pair of AKG C414s (XLS or XL II?) or One Neumann TLM103 to replace
my C4000B/Studio Projects/AKG C1000s mics.

Based on my current preamp/mic combos would I see any significant
improvement in sound using these higher end consenser mics or should
I look at going with a better preamp?

You will get improvements when you use almost *anything* instead of
those C4000 and C1000 mics. The C414 xls is a nice neutral microphone
that will do lots of things well. The TLM103 is a little sibilant for
my tastes most of the time.

Take a listen to a Microtech Gefell M930 as well. It does an amazing
number of jobs well, including some that would normally call for
small-diaphragm mics.

I had a C4000B once, and found it the least offensive of the CxxxxB mics,
beautiful big warm bass end. *But I did end up flicking it ...

geoff- Hide quoted text -

Geoff;

Like I said I am using it on the beater side of my kick drum and it
produces a nice bottom end and good attack. When used (with phase
reversed) with my D112 I can get a pretty sweet kick sound.

Cheers;
Steve
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Steve wrote:

Like I said I am using it on the beater side of my kick drum and it
produces a nice bottom end and good attack. When used (with phase
reversed) with my D112 I can get a pretty sweet kick sound.

Careful though, I fixed one that had a nice imprint of the backplate on the
diaphram itself, from being inside a kick - not in a cutout hole, but up
against inside skin !

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Steve" wrote in message

I am always looking for the Swiss Army type mics that can be used for
many applications (especially at the C414s price point). Nice to know
the C414 can be used this way.

It can -- but the Gefell M930 can too, and it does many things REALLY well,
and I'd rather have one M930 than two C414xls's. But that's me.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve[_19_] Steve[_19_] is offline

On Mar 4, 6:13*pm, "geoff" wrote:
Steve wrote:

Like I said I am using it on the beater side of my kick drum and it
produces a nice bottom end and good attack. *When used (with phase
reversed) with my D112 I can get a pretty sweet kick sound.

Careful though, I fixed one that had a nice imprint of the backplate on the
diaphram itself, from being inside a kick - not in a cutout hole, but up
against inside skin !

geoff

Ahhh....so you are the one. I think I posted a question here asking
if it was cool if I used it to mic my kick drum and you responded with
the same info. I think my D112 is taking most of the abuse being just
inside the kick, the C4000B is on the other side about 4" away from
the skin pointed towards the beater. I wouldn't think it's
experiencing the SPL outside than inside. Time will tell I guess.

Cheers;
Steve

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Steve wrote:
On Mar 4, 6:13 pm, "geoff" wrote:
Steve wrote:

Like I said I am using it on the beater side of my kick drum and it
produces a nice bottom end and good attack. When used (with phase
reversed) with my D112 I can get a pretty sweet kick sound.

Careful though, I fixed one that had a nice imprint of the backplate
on the diaphram itself, from being inside a kick - not in a cutout
hole, but up against inside skin !

geoff

Ahhh....so you are the one. I think I posted a question here asking
if it was cool if I used it to mic my kick drum and you responded with
the same info. I think my D112 is taking most of the abuse being just
inside the kick, the C4000B is on the other side about 4" away from
the skin pointed towards the beater. I wouldn't think it's
experiencing the SPL outside than inside. Time will tell I guess.

I'm sure it'll be just fine where you have it.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve[_19_] Steve[_19_] is offline

On Mar 4, 8:39*pm, "geoff" wrote:
Steve wrote:
On Mar 4, 6:13 pm, "geoff" wrote:
Steve wrote:

[...]

That being said would the C414 be okay in the same situation or should
I keep the 4000 or look maybe for a SDC to do the job?

Thanks;
Steve
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geezer Sonics Geezer Sonics is offline

In article
,
Steve wrote:

Paul;

I am always looking for the Swiss Army type mics that can be used for
many applications (especially at the C414s price point). Nice to know
the C414 can be used this way.

Thanks;
Steve

I've thrown the Shure KSM44 at a variety of applications. You might want
to add that to your "LDC mics to evaluate list".

FOR SALE: Larson Davis Precision Mics/Preamps/Cables musicmanrrc Pro Audio 1 October 20th 05 01:05 AM
Mackie 1642-VLZ preamps vs Aardvark Q10 preamps? other suggestions? sam Pro Audio 1 October 19th 04 01:29 PM
High Output Mics Overloading O1V Preamps Jake Pro Audio 5 November 26th 03 04:47 AM
guitar mics and preamps M Pro Audio 8 September 6th 03 04:51 PM
Midas Venice 320 Preamps Ribbon mics Bryan Pro Audio 9 July 21st 03 11:13 PM