Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fredbob Jackson Fredbob Jackson is offline

Default DAT sample stream to text file?

I have to deal with audio in my day job, working on modems. Lately,
I've discovered that I can't always get reliable recording/playback of
such audio via my sound card. I need to set up some repeatable tests,
where I read the audio samples in from files instead. If I were to
record my audio with a DAT machine, is there a way to get the 48k
sample stream off of the tape and into a text file somehow? Via the S/
PDIF, perhaps? Are there tools that provide such a capability?

Thanks in advance.

Fred
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Fredbob Jackson wrote:
I have to deal with audio in my day job, working on modems. Lately,
I've discovered that I can't always get reliable recording/playback of
such audio via my sound card. I need to set up some repeatable tests,
where I read the audio samples in from files instead. If I were to
record my audio with a DAT machine, is there a way to get the 48k
sample stream off of the tape and into a text file somehow? Via the S/
PDIF, perhaps? Are there tools that provide such a capability?

Sure, if you get a soundcard with an S-PDIF input, you can convert
the incoming data stream to a .wav file or something, and then use
od or some other dump application to dump the .wav file as hex.

If you're running linux, you can probably just pipe the output of
the audio device into od.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Fredbob Jackson wrote:

I have to deal with audio in my day job, working on modems. Lately,
I've discovered that I can't always get reliable recording/playback of
such audio via my sound card.

Surely the simplest is to get the sound card either working or to replace it
with something that was not meant as a toy. But perhaps the problem is not
the sound card itself ....

I need to set up some repeatable tests,
where I read the audio samples in from files instead. If I were to
record my audio with a DAT machine, is there a way to get the 48k
sample stream off of the tape and into a text file somehow?

Yes. Not having to use a computer to capture the audio file can be easiest.

Via the S/ PDIF, perhaps? Are there tools that provide such a capability?

M-Audio Audiophile 2496 comes to mind.

Adobe Audition will save an audio file as text data, but it may be a costly
implement to use for only conversion. But it might be that its analytical
tools would be relevant for you. A trial download is available. No
affiliation.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Thanks in advance.

Fred

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Live2496 Live2496 is offline

Tip: If you are on windows, Ultraedit (www.ultraedit.com) can also be
handy to view the content of audio files in hex.

If you are questioning the integrity of your soundcard, you could gen
some test signals (to files) on the computer and play that back over
SPDIF to the DAT. Then reimport that back to the soundcard over SPDIF.

You should be able to verify that the test signal is the same in the
original and the copy. If it isn't, youv'e got problems with either
the DAT or the soundcard.

Gordon