Crosstalk in snake cable that include speaker cables and mic cables

Old June 14th 18, 01:01 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

Default Digital Oscilloscopes (was: Crosstalk in snake cable that includespeaker cables and mic cables)

On 6/14/2018 6:27 AM, Trevor wrote:
> I was thinking of the fact you no longer have to adjust beam focus,
> vertical position etc. But you still have to adjust probe compensation I
> guess.

Yup - that's analog.

For what I do, analog oscilloscopes are just fine and I don't have to
think too hard when I use one. If I want a storage scope for audio, for
example, to measure latency or phase shift at a given frequency, I use a
DAW program - digital for sure, but still easy to use for the application.

Old June 14th 18, 01:34 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

On 14/06/2018 10:01 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 6/14/2018 6:27 AM, Trevor wrote:
>> I was thinking of the fact you no longer have to adjust beam focus,
>> vertical position etc. But you still have to adjust probe compensation
>> I guess.

> Yup - that's analog.*
>
> For what I do, analog oscilloscopes are just fine and I don't have to
> think too hard when I use one. If I want a storage scope for audio, for
> example, to measure latency or phase shift at a given frequency, I use a
> DAW program - digital for sure, but still easy to use for the application.

Actually there is a lot of good audio measurement software for use with
any good sound card, that is more useful than what you can do with a DAW
alone.

Trevor.

Old June 14th 18, 02:54 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

In article >, Mike Rivers > wrote:
>On 6/14/2018 6:27 AM, Trevor wrote:
>> I was thinking of the fact you no longer have to adjust beam focus,
>> vertical position etc. But you still have to adjust probe compensation I
>> guess.

>Yup - that's analog.

I have to recompensate the probes on the LeCroy DSO every time I use it
too.

>For what I do, analog oscilloscopes are just fine and I don't have to
>think too hard when I use one. If I want a storage scope for audio, for
>example, to measure latency or phase shift at a given frequency, I use a
>DAW program - digital for sure, but still easy to use for the application.

The DSO is better for finding little glitches and for long-term very slow
stuff. Let's say you thought an amplifier had DC drift issues... you can
put the DSO on the emitter, set the sweep to one hour, and then turn the
thing on and watch. You can't look at frequencies that low with the DAW and
doing it with an analogue scope is impossible.

The DSO also likely does power spectra faster and better than the DAW, not
that there isn't software available for PCs that does it pretty well. I
never thought that would really be useful for me but I am blown away at how
useful it really is.

But the DSO is really annoying for tweak-and-peak work. I have the last
Tek 545 on the field sitting on my bench at work and the cal people hate me
for it, but it's marvelous for lining receivers up and so forth.

Old June 15th 18, 01:30 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

Trevor wrote:

> Fair point, adjusting settings via menu's can be a pain. I was thinking
> of the fact you no longer have to adjust beam focus, vertical position
> etc.

** With most analogue scopes, the reward for spending a second or two adjusting the focus control is a sharp image showing at least 10 times more fine detail than you get with DSOs like the Rigol.

Vertical position corrections are much the same with either.

> But you still have to adjust probe compensation I guess. So you're
> probably right.

** Only tweak that if the probe changes scope.

..... Phil
Old June 15th 18, 01:51 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

Trevor wrote:

> > Are we talking Doug Self's book here?
> > If so, you should buy the printed edition instead of bootlegging it, because
> > Self is a good fellow and deserves your support.

> As I said, I already have a printed copy. Just wanted to see what may
> have been added in a newer edition. Certainly no real need for me to buy
> a new printed copy these days, not doing that design work any more. I
> have far too many copies of the same books in various editions as it is.

** In the section on speaker protection, Doug discuses the use of speaker relays and mentions only in passing that there can be an issue with a relay's ability to break DC current. This is important if an amp develops a large DC offset or blows an output device.

Bench testing reveals that typical 10A or even 20A, 250VAC rated relays break into a continuous arc if asked to switch off 50VDC with an 8 ohm resistor.

This is sailing way too close to the wind for most and there is a simple fix - wire the speaker line to the moving arm of the relay and ground the rest position contact. The amp output connects to the third contact and if an arc develops upon opening, it is immediately shorted to ground so protecting the speaker from DC.

Note: The amplifier should have DC rail fuses installed and it is a nice idea to use plug-in relays.

..... Phil