Johnny Canuck

Default Best magazines for home theatre to subscribe to?

Hi, I am looking to subscribe to a couple of 'home-theatre' type magazines.
If anyone has any quality suggestions based on my criteria below please let
me know.

My area of interest is home-theatre type equipment, such as speakers,
amplifiers, dvd players, etc., priced from the consumer end (i.e. $100 US
speakers) to the lower high end tier.

examples:
DVD players from $100 US to $3000 US
5.1 Speaker systems (or higher) from $500 US to $10,000 US
Stereo Receivers from $300 US to $5000 US
etc.

There are 4 reasons I want to subscribe to 2 of these magazines:

1)
to learn about new products in these price ranges (and how they compare).

2)
to learn about new and upcoming technologies such as HDCMI (the replacement
to HDCP that includes uncompressed DVI video and audio).

3)
to learn more about home theatre terminology, such as, what exactly is
frequency response in speakers do? What's the significance of a burr-brown
DSP in your DVD player? etc.

4)
do become exposed to a greater amount of home theatre based products through
advertisements that I may not have seen before, such as Lazy-boy home
theater chairs, and bolts CD racks. This way, I may think of adding some
sort of home theatre related product to my room that I would not have
thought of (or had seen in local stores) otherwise.

Some magazines I have read before are "sound and vision" and "home
theatre".

I plan to subscribe to two different magazines for a one year basis to help
get my "home theatre" hobby started (although I have been on the home
theatre bandwagon for a few years, only now am I starting to get serious
about it).

*******one more question below*******

Lastly, if anyone has any links to any good websites for home theatre stuff,
like quality review sites, e.g. like the following PC stuff:
http://www.tomshardware.com/
http://firingsquad.gamers.com/
http://www.anandtech.com/
or any good AVS forum links please share them as well.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Neil

"Johnny Canuck" wrote in message t...
Hi, I am looking to subscribe to a couple of 'home-theatre' type magazines.
If anyone has any quality suggestions based on my criteria below please let
me know.

Search Google.com for some home theater web discussion groups and
newsgroups, then ask there. Here's a search of newsgroups:

http://groups.google.com/groups?num=...home-theater.*

A few suggestions:

Stereophile Guide to Home Theater (mostly high-end gear)

Sound & Vision

Consumer Reports (Covers low-priced HT gear about once a year. See
current issue.)

I'm not very interested in HT, but the above are what I read. S&V
might suit you the best. There are many web sites that sell magazine
subscriptions. You can often find cheap subscriptions at eBay.com.

Also visit your library, bookstore, and newsstand for other magazines
and books. A few books to look for:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...339191-8333713

(snip)

Joel

Neil

(Joel) wrote in message om...
I found some great prices for magazines at
www.magzforless.com

Another source for subscription deals:

www.ebay.com

(snip)