Default WTB: Burwen or KLH TNE 7000A Transient Noise Eliminator

I want one that works.

I've already gone through three of them from eBay sellers and got full
refunds on all of them because they didn't work. The closest was one
that worked on the right channel, but turned the left channel into a
noise generator (Image at http://www.tude.com/tne7000.jpg )

Anybody want to sell me a TNE 7000A that works?

Thanks.

--
Hal
William Sommerwerck

I've already gone through three of them from eBay sellers and got full
refunds on all of them because they didn't work. The closest was one
that worked on the right channel, but turned the left channel into a
noise generator (image at http://www.tude.com/tne7000.jpg).

Anybody want to sell me a TNE 7000A that works?

I have one that works (which was purchased off eBay), but grin I'm not selling
it.

No offense, but are you certain you're calibrating and adjusting it correctly?
If you're not sure, contact me directly and I'll go through the process. Please
note that it can't do much with gouges. It works much better with the
small-to-medium pops and ticks.

It is also worth noting that, the better the pickup and the arm/'table, the
better the 7000 works.

No offense, but are you certain you're calibrating and adjusting it
correctly?

Absolutely.

First, two units were dead. On one, the lights didn't even come on. On
the other, moving the controls didn't change anything - the sensitivity
light did not dim, and the pop light did not flicker, and there was no
effect on the the audio.

On the third unit, I could easily turn the dials to get a good recording
of the right channel but the left channel was a noise generator - check
the waveforms he

http://www.tude.com/tne7000.jpg

No offense taken, but it's not pilot error, just bad luck with sellers.

So when are you going to be finished with yours?

--
Hal

William Sommerwerck

First, two units were dead. On one, the lights didn't even come
on. On the other, moving the controls didn't change anything --
the sensitivity light did not dim, and the pop light did not flicker,
and there was no effect on the the audio.

Oh, brother. You mean someone sold it without even bothering to plug it in? JHC.

No offense taken, but it's not pilot error, just bad luck with sellers.

Really bad. Ouch!

So when are you going to be finished with yours?

Only when somebody pays me enough to cover about three month's mortgage. (I'm in
bad straits at the moment.)

Here's a current auction...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...em=3095389 72

....but the guy says they haven't been tested, and they're sold as-is without
return privileges! Now, that takes guts...

07 May 2004 02:00 PM William Sommerwerck wrote:
JHC.

NS

Only when somebody pays me enough to cover about three month's
mortgage.

Not unless you live with that Old Woman Who Lived In A Shoe :-)

Here's a current auction...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=14978&
item=309538972

....but the guy says they haven't been tested, and they're sold as-is
without return privileges! Now, that takes guts...

I think that what I'm going to do is get that digital SLR I've been
eyeing instead ... the LP's will keep :-)

William Sommerwerck

I think what I'm going to do is get that digital SLR
I've been eyeing instead... the LPs will keep :-)

Not a bad idea. You can keep an eye on eBay for a 7000A that's actually been
tested and is guaranteed to work. You can also save up for a record-washing
machine.

You can also save up for a record-washing
machine.

Not bad. I'm going to start with the cheap manual washer first, though -
it seemed to do at least a reasonable job combined with the one channel
that worked in the last TNE.

Honestly, I like a bit of the old "record" sound. I have a copy of
"Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis, for instance, that I like quite a bit
better than the remastered CD. The CD has no hiss,clicks or pops, but
it seems to have lost some "soul."

Probably just me, though :-)

William Sommerwerck

Honestly, I like a bit of the old "record" sound. I have a copy of
"Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis, for instance, that I like quite a bit
better than the remastered CD. The CD has no hiss,clicks or
pops, but it seems to have lost some "soul."

Probably just me, though :-)

No, there are hundreds of thousands of audiophiles who'd agree with you. I hear
the same differences, but ascribe them to a less-inaccurate reproduction of the
original recording.