Mainlander

Default Miking an upright piano

Under the lid or around the back?
Kenny

Hello,

an upright piano has a vertical panel under the keyboard that is removable.
This will expose the strings to the front. I like to put a mic down below
and
if you want to use two mics then open the lid of the upright and place a mic
over the top too.

Listen while someone plays the piano and move your head all around.
Your ears should find some sweet spots where the sound comes together.
those are the places the mics should be...

have fun,

Kenny

"Mainlander" *@*.* wrote in message
. nz...
Under the lid or around the back?

Mike Caffrey

In article , Mainlander
*@*.* wrote:

Under the lid or around the back?

It really depends on the sound you are looking for. Try some 87s or
TLM103s or anything really and put the 6-8 feet away form the piano, 6-8
feet apar. I like a little 1176 compression and a good pre.

If you miking from within the piano, try some PZMs.

Also, you probably don't need to pan these tracks wide, but you can if
there' not too much else going on.

www.monsterisland.com
Scott Dorsey

In article ,
Mainlander *@*.* wrote:
Under the lid or around the back?

Depends on the piano. And whether it's for PA or recording. And whether
you want to emphasize the clankiness or not. And whether you can take the
front off easily.
ScotFraser

Under the lid or around the back?

Take the front panels off, both above & below the keyboard & mic it from the
players side. I usually go under the keyboard, but some uprights sound better
miked above the keyboard. The important thing is to get the panelling out of
the way so the mics are seeing soundboard.

Scott Fraser

hollywood_steve

A quick question about mic'ing the lower front panel... Doesn't the
mic pick up a lot of foot noise? I haven't met too many piano players
(classical players excepted) who keep their feet steady when not using
the pedals. In my experience, most tap (slam?) their feet loudly
along with the music.

or am I looking at the wrong side of the piano? (FYI, I've used a
simple XY pair about 6ft away and got good results. I've always found
a piano to need several feet of distance before it sounds right. Even
without a mic, just placing your ear near the piano and then walking
away, it takes 5 or 6 ft before it sounds "right". And I like XY
because it helps me avoid that unnatural 20ft wide piano that shows up
on so many recordings.)

steve

www.lexington125.com
John Cafarella

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
Engineers find solutions to these problems, but it's not always the
same solution. Depends on lotsa stuff.

I'm really Mike Rivers - )

I know this sounds obvious, but it's REALLY important to make sure the piano
isn't against a wall.
--
John Cafarella
End Of the Road Studio

ScotFraser

A quick question about mic'ing the lower front panel... Doesn't the
mic pick up a lot of foot noise?

That's more a player problem than a recording problem. Haven't really run into,
though I almost never have to record upright anymore. I find the often very
funky damper pedal mechanism to be more of a problem.

or am I looking at the wrong side of the piano?

No, that's the right side.

(FYI, I've used a
simple XY pair about 6ft away and got good results. I've always found
a piano to need several feet of distance before it sounds right.

Yup, depending on the room.

Even
without a mic, just placing your ear near the piano and then walking
away, it takes 5 or 6 ft before it sounds "right". And I like XY
because it helps me avoid that unnatural 20ft wide piano that shows up
on so many recordings.)

Not sure what acoustic concept inspired the approach of putting one mic 6" from
the strings, & the other 6" from the strings, but 4 feet distant from the other
mic. Maybe the mistaken notion that treble comes from the area under the treble
strings & bass comes from the area under the bass strings.

Scott Fraser
Reid Rejsa

In article ,
Mainlander *@*.* wrote:

Under the lid or around the back?

I've done some miking of an upright in an orchestra pit using two PZM's
mounted on tabletop desk stands using butterfly clamp mic clips on the
XLR's. The PZM's were vertical facing the soundboard about 6" away. It
worked great.

Reid

LeBaron & Alrich

Engineers find solutions to these problems, but it's not always the
same solution. Depends on lotsa stuff.

I'm really Mike Rivers - )

I know this sounds obvious, but it's REALLY important to make sure the piano
isn't against a wall.

Except when that's how to get the sound you're after. Sometimes an
upright piano that is lacking in low end extension will smooth out
nicely down there when placed against a wall. In my music room there are
several wall options and we were fascinated one day by the change in
piano sound when we'd moved the instrument. (And I don't mean change of
its state of tune. g)

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
LeBaron & Alrich

John Cafarella wrote:

The particular
pianos I've been involved with sounded horribly boxy when against the wall.
I usually pull the piano out from the wall about 8" at a time, until it
sounds nice. It often ends up about 2-3 ft out.

And sometimes it's nice to angle them vis a vis the wall, instead of
keeping the rear of the soundboard parallel.