sane54

Default Mbox or focusrite Saffire or M-audio firewire 410

I am considering replacing my m-audio firewire 410 mostly because of
this wierd faint buzz noise I get on my monitors whenever the laptop is
not on battery power. I have these active Mackie HR824s that take
balanced/unbalanced inputs and my firewire 410 is all unbalanced
outputs. SO maybe that has something to do with it, maybe not.

The other issue is mobility. I am considering the M-box because I could
work outside or on the bus with it. But then, the Focusrite saffire
caught my eye with its software simulations of the famous compressor.
Both of these have balanced outputs. Any thoughts about which of these
I should choose? Or should I stick with what I have?

Matt

It depends on which software you're using/want to use. For example if
you get the mbox, you probably should use pro tools with it*, and
therefore you would have to learn a whole new system. -- Matt

*It does work with other programs, but from my experience it tends to
be buggy.

sane54 wrote:
I am considering replacing my m-audio firewire 410 mostly because of
this wierd faint buzz noise I get on my monitors whenever the laptop is
not on battery power. I have these active Mackie HR824s that take
balanced/unbalanced inputs and my firewire 410 is all unbalanced
outputs. SO maybe that has something to do with it, maybe not.

The other issue is mobility. I am considering the M-box because I could
work outside or on the bus with it. But then, the Focusrite saffire
caught my eye with its software simulations of the famous compressor.
Both of these have balanced outputs. Any thoughts about which of these
I should choose? Or should I stick with what I have?

Have you tried the 410 on another computer or another interface on
yours?
Balanced outputs for not much money can be had on the Terratec Phase24.
I have a brief review here www.themagicofradio.com. I've just got the
X version which is closer to the 410 in spec in that it has two mic
inputs with phantom power, inserts and monitor outputs but no metering.
The inputs and outputs are on balanced quarter inch jacks. Only just
got it but it's nicely made and well behaved so far. I'll get a review
up when I can.

Jake Saliba

i used to have that same exact hiss thru my monitors back when i was
running an mbox on my laptop and it was running on wall power. i'd
charge it then run off batteries and plug it in only long enough to
charge it again. very annoying. so just fyi, getting an mbox wont
help get rid of that noise.

jake

sane54

Jake, what did you do? Or are you still living with that noise?