Bob

Default Can picture tubes be used as audio amplifier tubes?

I'm wondering if an old picture tube can be set up like a triode or something...
that would make for a unique amp!

And get rid of all those monitors in my basement...

Certainly an improvement over TV... I wonder what the gain and load would be...

Patrick Turner

Bob wrote:

I'm wondering if an old picture tube can be set up like a triode or something...
that would make for a unique amp!

And get rid of all those monitors in my basement...

Certainly an improvement over TV... I wonder what the gain and load would be...

Hooked up correctly they can display picituries.

But used for sound you'll have your visitors turn the amp on and then wait,
and wait.... and wait.... damn, where's the pitcha?

Patrick Turner.

Bob

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:32:23 GMT, Patrick Turner
wrote:

Bob wrote:

I'm wondering if an old picture tube can be set up like a triode or something...
that would make for a unique amp!

And get rid of all those monitors in my basement...

Certainly an improvement over TV... I wonder what the gain and load would be...

Hooked up correctly they can display picituries.

But used for sound you'll have your visitors turn the amp on and then wait,
and wait.... and wait.... damn, where's the pitcha?

Patrick Turner.

Back in the 70s I had an old TV where I connected a stereo amp to a deflection
coil, with a 'phase modifying' circuit, and used the TV as a lissigious light
show! I glued colored plastic bits to the screen. A square wave gen. injected at
the grid caused dotted lines.

Better then TV at the time...

Accessory Section 8

wrote:

Bob wrote:

I'm wondering if an old picture tube can be set up like a triode or something...

No.

It would not work. Fortunately.

- - : R A T B o y : - -

wrote:

Back in the 70s I had an old TV where I connected a stereo amp to a
deflection
coil, with a 'phase modifying' circuit, and used the TV as a lissigious
light
show! I glued colored plastic bits to the screen. A square wave gen.
injected at
the grid caused dotted lines.

Better then TV at the time...

And then the drugs wore off?

Karl

X-HogWash=Yes

Bob wrote:
I'm wondering if an old picture tube can be set up like a triode or something...
that would make for a unique amp!

And get rid of all those monitors in my basement...

Certainly an improvement over TV... I wonder what the gain and load would be...

Dunno about picture tubes, but the vertical deflection tubes can be
used where you want lots of headroom. Use horizontal deflection tubes
where you need more bandwidth. ;^)

Bret Ludwig

Karl wrote:

snip

Dunno about picture tubes, but the vertical deflection tubes can be
used where you want lots of headroom. Use horizontal deflection tubes
where you need more bandwidth. ;^)

Vertical deflection tubes are actually excellent for guitar amps, but
don't tell the guitar guys or they will jack the price up.

west

"Karl" wrote in message
oups.com...
X-HogWash=Yes

Bob wrote:
I'm wondering if an old picture tube can be set up like a triode or

something...
that would make for a unique amp!

And get rid of all those monitors in my basement...

Certainly an improvement over TV... I wonder what the gain and load

would be...

Dunno about picture tubes, but the vertical deflection tubes can be
used where you want lots of headroom. Use horizontal deflection tubes
where you need more bandwidth. ;^)

Karl, I beg to differ. The old Sylvania pictures tubes AFAIK, had a
bandwidth from DC to past X-Ray.
west