Arny Krueger

Default how do I measure S/N?

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:

Not an expert on Fluke's, but the 77 anyway wasn't a true RMS meter,
was it?

No, the Fluke 77 series was/is not a true RMS meter.

I think that you have to go up into Fluke's 80 series to get that feature.

TonyP

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
Not an expert on Fluke's, but the 77 anyway wasn't a true RMS meter,
was it?

No, the Fluke 77 series was/is not a true RMS meter.
I think that you have to go up into Fluke's 80 series to get that feature.

It really doesn't matter whether it's true RMS or not considering few DVM's,
including Fluke 70 or 80 series, can measure AC signals below 1 mV anyway
(or a *long* way above 1mV with any precision for that matter).
Just *HOW* noisy is that pre-amp?????????

TonyP.

Arny Krueger

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
Not an expert on Fluke's, but the 77 anyway wasn't a true RMS meter,
was it?

No, the Fluke 77 series was/is not a true RMS meter.
I think that you have to go up into Fluke's 80 series to get that
feature.

It really doesn't matter whether it's true RMS or not considering few
DVM's, including Fluke 70 or 80 series, can measure AC signals below
1 mV anyway (or a *long* way above 1mV with any precision for that
matter). Just *HOW* noisy is that pre-amp?????????

Right. Most audio gear has maximum useful output between 1 and 2 volts. The
OPs Fluke 8600 spec says that it resolves 10uV on the 200 mv range. I
imagine that is the least signficiant digit on the most sensitive range.
It's a 4 1/2 digit meter.

http://www.atecorp.com/Equipment/Fluke/8600A.htm

I suppose that is something like the residual it reads when driven with a
low impedance source. This seems sufficient to make SNR measurements that
would show progress made on a phono preamp design.

The fact that it is not true rms says that any measurements made are going
to be nonstandard, but it seems like they could be helpful to a home
constructor.

TonyP

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
news
Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
Not an expert on Fluke's, but the 77 anyway wasn't a true RMS meter,
was it?
No, the Fluke 77 series was/is not a true RMS meter.
I think that you have to go up into Fluke's 80 series to get that
feature.

It really doesn't matter whether it's true RMS or not considering few
DVM's, including Fluke 70 or 80 series, can measure AC signals below
1 mV anyway (or a *long* way above 1mV with any precision for that
matter). Just *HOW* noisy is that pre-amp?????????

Right. Most audio gear has maximum useful output between 1 and 2 volts.

The
OPs Fluke 8600 spec says that it resolves 10uV on the 200 mv range. I
imagine that is the least signficiant digit on the most sensitive range.
It's a 4 1/2 digit meter.

Yes, the 8600 will be much more useful than the 70 or 80 series hand helds
mentioned by Mark.
However the resolution at higher values is not the same as the precision at
low values. Rectifier linearity is an issue.

Having said that, for the simple better or worse comparison needed, it
doesn't matter about RMS vs Average responding or the actual measurement
uncertainty, provided the input is similar in both cases.

TonyP.

Arny Krueger

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:

[...]

True in general, but modern meters use precision rectifiers that are IME
really quite good.

Rectifier linearity is an issue.

These multimeters also have amplfiiers that front-end the AC converters.
These meters are usually quite linear, with internal noise being more of a
problem at the low end.

Having said that, for the simple better or worse comparison needed, it
doesn't matter about RMS vs Average responding or the actual
measurement uncertainty, provided the input is similar in both cases.

Agreed.