Howdego

Default speaker wire connector and tool

I am building a new home and having my electrician lay in 16 gauge
speaker wire. However, he will not install connectors to the wire. I
am somewhat mechanically inclined and would like to install crimped
(no solder), gold plated pin or banana connectors to ensure good long
term connectivity at the interfaces. I am using new Boston Acoustics
speakers and a new Yamaha AV receiver for my surround sound system. I
would appreciate it if the group could recommend a brand and type
connector and tool to use, and a good source for purchasing them.
Robert Gault

Howdego wrote:

I am building a new home and having my electrician lay in 16 gauge
speaker wire. However, he will not install connectors to the wire. I
am somewhat mechanically inclined and would like to install crimped
(no solder), gold plated pin or banana connectors to ensure good long
term connectivity at the interfaces. I am using new Boston Acoustics
speakers and a new Yamaha AV receiver for my surround sound system. I
would appreciate it if the group could recommend a brand and type
connector and tool to use, and a good source for purchasing them.

It probably makes little difference on the brand/type but keep in mind
that solder makes the best connections.

Kalman Rubinson

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 15:18:28 GMT, Robert Gault
wrote:

Howdego wrote:

I am building a new home and having my electrician lay in 16 gauge
speaker wire. However, he will not install connectors to the wire. I
am somewhat mechanically inclined and would like to install crimped
(no solder), gold plated pin or banana connectors to ensure good long
term connectivity at the interfaces. I am using new Boston Acoustics
speakers and a new Yamaha AV receiver for my surround sound system. I
would appreciate it if the group could recommend a brand and type
connector and tool to use, and a good source for purchasing them.

It probably makes little difference on the brand/type but keep in mind
that solder makes the best connections.

And pressure helps, so I would avoid banana connectors unless they are
expandable. I prefer spade lugs anyway.

Kal

Jerry G.

You would be better off with 14 or 12 gauge for speaker wiring. It makes a
difference.

For connectors, you will have to purchase the wall types, and solder or use
crimp spades to the screws.

You should ask the vendor of the wall connectors for the details. They
should be able to sell you the necessary options required. You would be best
off to hire a tech for this job, if you do not know how to do it.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Howdego" wrote in message
m...
I am building a new home and having my electrician lay in 16 gauge
speaker wire. However, he will not install connectors to the wire. I
am somewhat mechanically inclined and would like to install crimped
(no solder), gold plated pin or banana connectors to ensure good long
term connectivity at the interfaces. I am using new Boston Acoustics
speakers and a new Yamaha AV receiver for my surround sound system. I
would appreciate it if the group could recommend a brand and type
connector and tool to use, and a good source for purchasing them.

CJT

Robert Gault wrote:

Howdego wrote:

I am building a new home and having my electrician lay in 16 gauge
speaker wire. However, he will not install connectors to the wire. I
am somewhat mechanically inclined and would like to install crimped
(no solder), gold plated pin or banana connectors to ensure good long
term connectivity at the interfaces. I am using new Boston Acoustics
speakers and a new Yamaha AV receiver for my surround sound system. I
would appreciate it if the group could recommend a brand and type
connector and tool to use, and a good source for purchasing them.

It probably makes little difference on the brand/type but keep in mind
that solder makes the best connections.

I don't think that is necessarily true, if "best" means "highest
conductivity" or even "most rugged." In what sense do you think
solder is better than crimp, and can you offer some support for
your claim?

Dale Farmer

CJT wrote:

Robert Gault wrote:

Howdego wrote:

[...]

For this application, I'd suggest going with 12 gauge wire. Resistance
is the effect that swamps all the other speaker wire effects. Leave the
wires unterminated until you actually have something to install. Then
have the same connectors that the system uses installed.
As for solder versus crimped connectors. Properly done, they both
offer excellent conductivity. The problem with crimps is that it is
easy to get it wrong, and hard to tell after completion that you got it
wrong. Too much crimp pressure, too little, wrong crimp sleeve, using
different wire than specified, and so on. Bad solder joints are far
easier for the naked eye to spot, and can be fixed usually by
just reflowing the solder. Bad crimp you have to cut the whole
thing off and start again from scratch.
As for mechanical strength, for an in-wall installation, not much
is actually needed, and either type done properly is more than
adequate.

--Dale

CJT

Dale Farmer wrote:

CJT wrote:

Robert Gault wrote:

Howdego wrote:

[...]

True.

The problem with crimps is that it is
easy to get it wrong, and hard to tell after completion that you got it
wrong. Too much crimp pressure, too little, wrong crimp sleeve, using
different wire than specified, and so on. Bad solder joints are far
easier for the naked eye to spot, and can be fixed usually by
just reflowing the solder. Bad crimp you have to cut the whole
thing off and start again from scratch.

Bad solder joints CAN be easier for a TRAINED EYE to spot, but can
easily escape detection by a casual observer. I think it's too close
to call on that issue.

The solder itself introduces some resistance which won't be present
in a gas-tight crimp.

As for mechanical strength, for an in-wall installation, not much
is actually needed, and either type done properly is more than
adequate.

True.

--Dale

Richard Crowley

Robert Gault wrote:
It probably makes little difference on the brand/type but
keep in mind that solder makes the best connections.

"CJT" wrote ...
I don't think that is necessarily true, if "best" means "highest
conductivity" or even "most rugged." In what sense do you think
solder is better than crimp, and can you offer some support for
your claim?

In addition to the other arguments, note that in this particular
case Mr. Howdego is asking questions that would appear to
indicate that he has no previous experience (or tools) to make
crimp connections. From personal experience cleaning up the
messes left by others, I would recommend soldering in a case
like this.

Barry Mann

In , on 03/23/04
at 07:35 PM, CJT said:

Robert Gault wrote:

Howdego wrote:

[...]

Crimped connections are extremely robust when properly done. This
usually means using the tool designed for the terminals you are using.
I don't like the simple tools sold at hardware stores. The hardware
store tool's jaws have the wrong contour and the amount of force is
left up to the user. The better tools have custom jaws that ratchet.
Once the crimp is started, the jaws cannot be released until the proper
compression is achieved.

Soldering makes good, consistent, but fragile connections. You can
easily prove this fragility by making crimped and soldered connections
on stranded speaker wire, then flex them both (sharply) a few hundred
times. If the soldered connection hasn't already broken (at the end of
the soldered section) you'll be able to see what will happen before
long. The crimped connection has a long way to go.

For fixed connections behind the walls and speaker connections that are
rarely flexed, I don't think it matters much. Use the technology you
are comfortable with and make sure the connections are clean and tight.

Unless you intend to plug and unplug your speakers regularly, I don't
recommend banana plugs and jacks.

Audio stores that do home installations will have an assortment of
solutions.

Mostly, I use a "telephone plate" (a wall plate with a round hole) and
bring the wire directly out to the speaker. This is simple and
eliminates a whole layer of connections. The only disadvantage is that
the wire will hang out of the plate if the speaker is moved away. If
you permanently remove the speaker, push the wire back into the wall
and replace the telephone plate with a blank plate.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Howdego

"Jerry G." wrote in message ...
You would be better off with 14 or 12 gauge for speaker wiring. It makes a
difference.

For connectors, you will have to purchase the wall types, and solder or use
crimp spades to the screws.

You should ask the vendor of the wall connectors for the details. They
should be able to sell you the necessary options required. You would be best
off to hire a tech for this job, if you do not know how to do it.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

Wow! The advice in this thread is not even close to the
recommendations of the three dedicated audio stores I visited, or even
other usenet group postings. Every one suggested I use 16, or maybe
14 gauge wire and gold plated banana plugs for the wire (except a
couple said to use pins instead of banana plugs). They said I would
not be able to tell the difference between 16 gauge and 14 gauge wire.
And they all said to connect the plugs directly to the speakers and
receiver. Maybe this was the recommendation because I watch TV
70%/music 30%. Or maybe because my speakers and electronics cost in
the $3500 range, not the $6000 area. Do you think these sources are
just telling me this to meet a price point, or might their experience
tell them that this is all that is needed?

Howard

m...