Robertg Morein

Default SACD->CD ??

I wish to copy my SACD's to CD.
This requires very delicate D/A--A/D conversion; the first in the player,
the second with an external A/D converter.
The result would be edited to separate the tracks, and a CD burned.

Because of the extreme delicacy of the conversion, suggestions are requested
for the optimal hardware.
It would seem noise shaping is desirable.

It would be really neat if there were an A/D with a USB interface.
However, the foremost requirement is a clean D/A--A/D step.
I'm guessing that an SACD player with balanced professional level outputs
should be used.
As for the A/D, I have no ideas, other than that it should probably be a
24/96 device, with down conversion to 44.1 accomplished by the software.
If I use a 24/96 A/D, is there software that will accomplish noise shaping?

Comments?

Bernt Rønningsbakk

"Robertg Morein" wrote in message
I wish to copy my SACD's to CD.
This requires very delicate D/A--A/D conversion; the first in the player,
the second with an external A/D converter.
The result would be edited to separate the tracks, and a CD burned.

Because of the extreme delicacy of the conversion, suggestions are

requested
for the optimal hardware.
It would seem noise shaping is desirable.

Maybe you should check up www.dvdupgrades.ch in Switzerland. They have a
modification board for multi players that converts all formats to uncoded
two channel pcm through three spdif outputs. All done in the digital domain.
Rather costly, though.

Robertg Morein

"Bernt Rønningsbakk" nospam wrote in message

"Robertg Morein" wrote in message
I wish to copy my SACD's to CD.
This requires very delicate D/A--A/D conversion; the first in the

player,
the second with an external A/D converter.
The result would be edited to separate the tracks, and a CD burned.

Because of the extreme delicacy of the conversion, suggestions are

requested
for the optimal hardware.
It would seem noise shaping is desirable.

Maybe you should check up www.dvdupgrades.ch in Switzerland. They have a
modification board for multi players that converts all formats to uncoded
two channel pcm through three spdif outputs. All done in the digital

domain.
Rather costly, though.

Interesting, but very expensive.

Going back a few years, there have been comments that sample rate conversion
should be done in the analog domain. I wonder how valid this would be now?

Jouko Holopainen

"Robertg Morein" writes:

Going back a few years, there have been comments that sample rate conversion
should be done in the analog domain. I wonder how valid this would be now?

I am confident that even then analog sample rate conversion must have
been much poorer compared to _properly_ done digital conversion.

Of course there have been (and still are) "not properly" done digital
converters.

--
@jhol

Ihmisiä ei voi ostaa, heidät voi vain vuokrata. Tosin aika halvalla,
ilmeisesti lisääntyvä tarjonta laskee hintoja.

Arny Krueger

"Robertg Morein" wrote in message

I wish to copy my SACD's to CD.

This requires very delicate D/A--A/D conversion; the first in the
player, the second with an external A/D converter.

The target media has a dynamic range capacity of about 93 dB, and this
limits the requirements for as you put it, delicacy.

The result would be edited to separate the tracks, and a CD burned.

No problem.

Because of the extreme delicacy of the conversion, suggestions are
requested for the optimal hardware.

It would seem noise shaping is desirable.

No problem.

It would be really neat if there were an A/D with a USB interface.

There are a number of them, and more coming on the market shortly. However,
this isn't the optimum approach.

However, the foremost requirement is a clean D/A--A/D step.

No problem.

I'm guessing that an SACD player with balanced professional level
outputs should be used.

Actually, at worst all you need is a SACD player with more dynamic range
than the 16/44 target format. Weakest link, and all that.

As for the A/D, I have no ideas, other than that it should probably
be a 24/96 device, with down conversion to 44.1 accomplished by the
software.

No problem.

If I use a 24/96 A/D, is there software that will
accomplish noise shaping?

No problem.

Comments?

Arny Krueger

"Robertg Morein" wrote in message

Going back a few years, there have been comments that sample rate
conversion should be done in the analog domain. I wonder how valid
this would be now?

It's as invalid now as it was then. Of course the digital approaches are
even more attractive to implement and more widely implemented than they were
then.

Arny Krueger

"Jouko Holopainen" wrote in message

"Robertg Morein" writes:

Going back a few years, there have been comments that sample rate
conversion should be done in the analog domain. I wonder how valid
this would be now?

I am confident that even then analog sample rate conversion must have
been much poorer compared to _properly_ done digital conversion.

Agreed. There's nothing in the analog world that comes even vaguely close to
the accuracy, dynamic range, and resolution of 32 bit floating point.

You know this Morein guy has been lecturing me about how little I know about
audio and how much he knows. I think I'll just lie down on a comfortable
couch and laugh for a while.

Codifus

Robertg Morein wrote:
I wish to copy my SACD's to CD.
This requires very delicate D/A--A/D conversion; the first in the player,
the second with an external A/D converter.
The result would be edited to separate the tracks, and a CD burned.

Because of the extreme delicacy of the conversion, suggestions are requested
for the optimal hardware.
It would seem noise shaping is desirable.

It would be really neat if there were an A/D with a USB interface.
However, the foremost requirement is a clean D/A--A/D step.
I'm guessing that an SACD player with balanced professional level outputs
should be used.
As for the A/D, I have no ideas, other than that it should probably be a
24/96 device, with down conversion to 44.1 accomplished by the software.
If I use a 24/96 A/D, is there software that will accomplish noise shaping?

Comments?

I don't understand what you will achieve by doing this. Don't SACDs
already have a CD layer, and wouldn't copying an SACD to CD lose all the
benefits of SACD?

CD

Robert Morein

"Codifus" wrote in message
et...
Robertg Morein wrote:
[...]

I don't want to take the SACD's out of the house. I don't want them damaged
in my car.

Kalman Rubinson

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 15:09:17 -0500, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

"Codifus" wrote in message
. net...
I don't understand what you will achieve by doing this. Don't SACDs
already have a CD layer, and wouldn't copying an SACD to CD lose all the
benefits of SACD?

I don't want to take the SACD's out of the house. I don't want them damaged
in my car.

OK. so why not simply use the digital output from the CD layer
directly to your burner? Avoids a/d and d/a and you end up with
16/44.1 anyway.

Kal

Robert Morein

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 15:09:17 -0500, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

"Codifus" wrote in message
. net...
I don't understand what you will achieve by doing this. Don't SACDs
already have a CD layer, and wouldn't copying an SACD to CD lose all

the
benefits of SACD?

I don't want to take the SACD's out of the house. I don't want them

damaged
in my car.

OK. so why not simply use the digital output from the CD layer
directly to your burner? Avoids a/d and d/a and you end up with
16/44.1 anyway.

Kal

I'd forgotten that SACD's are (universally?) dual layer.
However, copying the bitstream layer would give me the freedom to master the
disk minus the compression that may have been applied to the Redbook layer.