Rich Andrews

Default Stereo Loudness Control?

(Svante) wrote in
m:

Rich Andrews wrote in message news:

(Svante) wrote in
om:

"Karl Uppiano" wrote in message news:

Loudness controls aren't meant to compensate for equipment

deficiencies, but
they are an attempt to compensate for the "Fletcher-Munson effect"

in
which
our ears tend to become less sensitive to frequency extremes at low

volume.
Unfortunately, even the best analog loudness circuits only roughly
approximate the right compensation. Also, no two people are alike,

and
furthermore, without separate loudness and volume controls, it's

nearly
impossible to calibrate the loudness compensation.

Here's how it works: You turn the loudness control all the way up,

then
you
turn up the volume control for the original sound pressure level

(how
would
you know how loud the original recording was? That information is

usually
not provided). Then you use the loudness control to adjust for a

comfortable
listening level. With a single volume control, any loudness

compensation
simply assumes that the original sound pressure level is when the

volume
control is halfway up. When all is said and done, it's probably only
slightly less convenient to just turn up the bass and treble when

listening
at low volume.

Good explanation, with one exception. The treble should NOT be turned
up. It is commonly done with the loudness button, but there is no
physiological excuse for doing so. Have a look at the Fletcher-Munson
curves, eg at:

http://www.webervst.com/fm.htm

Now, the low frequencies are *compressed*, that is, moving 10 dB down
may yield a perceived drop of 15-20 dB (or Phon to be absolutely
correct). At mid and high frequencies a 10 dB drop will yield
approximately a 10 dB perceived drop. The net result is that when the
volume is turned down, the bass (only) appears to have dropped more
than the mid and high.
So, the treble should not be turned up, at least not for

physiological
reasons.

I quite disagree.

Both the treble and bass are to be compensated if the end result is to

be
a flat response. The treble not as much as the bass, but it still

needs
to be done.

http://members.aol.com/sbench/freqres3.html

That is just the point, the goal is NOT to acheive ears with a flat
frequency response. Why would you want to listen with flat ears at
home when you have the non-flat ears at every concert you go to? For
example, the dip in the FM curves at ~3kHz comes from resonance in the
earcanal outside the eardrum. Would you want to cancel the effect of
the earcanal, just because you listen at home?

The use of the loudness button can be explained by looking in detail
at the FM curves, let's take the curves on the page you referred to.
Let's also say that we play a piece at 50 dB level, but that the piece
actually was recorded at 90 dB. Without any compensation this will
happen: At 1kHz we will perceive a drop of 40 Phon, we pass four lines
going downwards in the FM diagram. At low frequencies, say 100 Hz, we
will perceive a drop of 70 Phon as we pass 7 lines.
Boosting the bass, by 30 phon (about 20 dB at 100 Hz and this level)
would give a listening impression more similar to the original
recording.
At 10 kHz we only pass 4 lines, ie we perceive a 40 Phon drop.
Boosting the treble would (and does) yield an unnaturally bright
sound.

I shall admit that there IS a certain compression effect at the very
highest levels at 10 kHz, between 100 and 120 dB we pass 3 Phon lines,
and would perceive a 30 Phon change. However, the loudness function is
hardly intended to compensate for these extremely high levels in the
treble. Also going from 0 to 90 dB there IS a minimal compression of
~2dB, which is hardly worth compensating for.

Did that explain my point?

No.

Karl Uppiano

"Svante" wrote in message
om...
"Karl Uppiano" wrote in message

. ..

[snip my stuff]

Good explanation, with one exception. The treble should NOT be turned
up. It is commonly done with the loudness button, but there is no
physiological excuse for doing so. Have a look at the Fletcher-Munson
curves, eg at:

http://www.webervst.com/fm.htm

Now, the low frequencies are *compressed*, that is, moving 10 dB down
may yield a perceived drop of 15-20 dB (or Phon to be absolutely
correct). At mid and high frequencies a 10 dB drop will yield
approximately a 10 dB perceived drop. The net result is that when the
volume is turned down, the bass (only) appears to have dropped more
than the mid and high.
So, the treble should not be turned up, at least not for physiological
reasons.

Human hearing sensitivity isn't flat at any volume, but we do have a lower
sensitivity threshold at the mid range than at the frequency extremes. The
curves show a greater difference between mid-range and treble sensitivity at
low volumes, although not as much greater as the difference between
mid-range and bass. So some treble equalization is required. Loudness
compensation as typically implemented (using only equalization) probably
doesn't work very well because what is really needed is frequency-dependent
dynamic range compression at lower volumes.

I have a rather severe hearing loss centered on 4 kHz, so for improved
intelligibility, if not concert hall realism, "My Loudness Setting" would
need to keep a band of frequencies centered on 4 kHz above my sensitivity
threshold as the loudness is reduced. My hearing looks nothing like
Fletcher-Munson, and I suspect that is true for most people, especially as
they age.

Svante

Rich Andrews wrote in message . 3.44...
[...]

So, do you not understand or do you think I am wrong? I am aware that
each of the phon curves are non-flat, but it does not make sense to
compensate for the curves themselves, since we use them in everyday
life. The unnatural thing that is brought to us with the home stereo
is that we can listen to something that was recorded at say 90 dB at
50 dB, and then we can use the loudness function to compensate for the
DIFFERENCE between the phon curves for those levels. In the treble the
DIFFERENCE between the curves is minimal, but in the bass the
difference is large.

Still no luck?

Svante

"Svante" wrote in message
[...]

They do? For example, look at:
http://www.webervst.com/fm.htm
Specifically look at 1kHz 0 phon and then go to 10 kHz 0 phon, 10 dB
difference, right? Then 1kHz 30 phon and go to 10 kHz, 10 dB
difference again.
To my eye, all phon curves look nearly identical above 1 kHz up to 90
phon. So, IMO there is little compression in the treble, and little
need for a treble boost as part of a loudness function.

although not as much greater as the difference between
mid-range and bass. So some treble equalization is required. Loudness
compensation as typically implemented (using only equalization) probably
doesn't work very well because what is really needed is frequency-dependent
dynamic range compression at lower volumes.

That is an interesting thought, to keep the really weak sounds from
getting below the hearing threshold. Hmm... Might be practical, but
hardly hifidilistic, but so isn't the loudness button in the first
place. :-)

Svante

Per Stromgren wrote in message . ..
On 10 Feb 2004 03:48:55 -0800, (Svante)
wrote:

So, do you not understand or do you think I am wrong? I am aware that
each of the phon curves are non-flat, but it does not make sense to
compensate for the curves themselves, since we use them in everyday
life. The unnatural thing that is brought to us with the home stereo
is that we can listen to something that was recorded at say 90 dB at
50 dB, and then we can use the loudness function to compensate for the
DIFFERENCE between the phon curves for those levels. In the treble the
DIFFERENCE between the curves is minimal, but in the bass the
difference is large.

Do you have access to the numbers that make up the FM diagram so that
we could compute the differences and close this, once and for all? I
am aware that the curves may include tolerances, but so should the
difference numbers that comes out of this.

I remember vaguely trying to get these numbers, but the best I found
was someone having traced the diagrams. Sorry.

Could you fix this?

Designing a loudness compensation circuit based on this would be
trivial, at least in the digital domain, and it's only drawback would
be the difficulty in setting the original venue loudness.

....and the efficiency of the loudspeakers, power amp gain, room
reverberation radius, etc. But of course, these could be measured, You
are right in that the level of the original recording is the toughest
one to estimate.
There are other issues as well, like that the FM curves are measured
with sinusoidal sounds. There are effects, like masking and such, that
will make an exact compensation difficult. I recall that this was my
reason to give up digging for the FM numbers the last time, they would
not do what I wanted since I used complex sounds (not sinusoiuds).

Per, E-73 at KTH and a big fan of mr Fant and pip-Johan.

Yes, aren't they great?
Svante, E-85 at KTH and a big fan of mr Fant and pip-Johan.

Karl Uppiano

"Svante" wrote in message
[...]

There isn't as much in the treble, but there is some, particularly if you
look at the difference between the deepest trough at around 4 kHz and the
area above 10 kHz. Admittedly, the difference in the bass is much more
pronounced.

although not as much greater as the difference between
mid-range and bass. So some treble equalization is required. Loudness
compensation as typically implemented (using only equalization) probably
doesn't work very well because what is really needed is

frequency-dependent
dynamic range compression at lower volumes.

That is an interesting thought, to keep the really weak sounds from
getting below the hearing threshold. Hmm... Might be practical, but
hardly hifidilistic, but so isn't the loudness button in the first
place. :-)

It depends on the execution. Turning down the volume below the original
level could be considered non-hifidilistic (although that might not convince
the downstairs neighbor), in which case, an active loudness compensation
circuit might be better than nothing.