chris berbaum

Default Well-Tempered Turntable

Hello,

I have a turntable called "Well-Tempered", and while it has an unusual
design, and sounds quite nice, I've found that the belt-drive motor is about
25 cents flat/slow. There is no strobe or pitch adjustment, but the motor is
actually separately mounted, and connected only by the half-twisted belt.
Can I use a variac to increase the voltage to tune up the pitch?

Thanks, chris b.

CJT

chris berbaum wrote:

Hello,

I have a turntable called "Well-Tempered", and while it has an unusual
design, and sounds quite nice, I've found that the belt-drive motor is about
25 cents flat/slow. There is no strobe or pitch adjustment, but the motor is
actually separately mounted, and connected only by the half-twisted belt.
Can I use a variac to increase the voltage to tune up the pitch?

Thanks, chris b.

Probably not. Chances are it's a synchronous motor, so you would have
to change the power frequency, not its voltage.

--
After being targeted with gigabytes of trash by the "SWEN" worm, I have
concluded we must conceal our e-mail address. Our true address is the

Robert Gault

chris berbaum wrote:
Hello,

I have a turntable called "Well-Tempered", and while it has an unusual
design, and sounds quite nice, I've found that the belt-drive motor is about
25 cents flat/slow. There is no strobe or pitch adjustment, but the motor is
actually separately mounted, and connected only by the half-twisted belt.
Can I use a variac to increase the voltage to tune up the pitch?

Thanks, chris b.

Assuming the motor speed can't be adjusted, how is the belt connected to
the motor? If there is a drive wheel or capstan which can be made
slightly larger, the belt will move faster and the pitch will rise.

What test was made of the speed that you are sure it is slow? Is there
excessive friction anywhere in the system? Dried bearing lubricant for
example.

chris berbaum

There's just the drive wheel attached directly to the motor shaft, with a
slotted belt position for 33 rpm and one for 45 rpm, ... the belt then wraps
around the outside of the platter. The platter bearing actually sits in a
well of lubricant, so no problem there. I used a test record with an A=440
Hz tone, along a 12 TET scale, and a Peterson Virtual Strobe tuner that
indicates of +/- cents of a semitone. I suppose the only thing to do is to
try to find a replacement motor that I can test and then count on. It just a
shame 'cause the table itself sounds great, and as long as there's no pitch
reference around, I was able to "suspend disbelief". But now I know, ....

appreciate the help, chris b.

chris berbaum wrote:
[...]

Assuming the speed is constant you could alter the size of the pully on
the motor. Make it smaller to increase the speed.

Alan Peterman

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 16:33:45 -0600, "chris berbaum" wrote:

There's just the drive wheel attached directly to the motor shaft, with a
slotted belt position for 33 rpm and one for 45 rpm, ... the belt then wraps
around the outside of the platter. The platter bearing actually sits in a
well of lubricant, so no problem there. I used a test record with an A=440
Hz tone, along a 12 TET scale, and a Peterson Virtual Strobe tuner that
indicates of +/- cents of a semitone. I suppose the only thing to do is to
try to find a replacement motor that I can test and then count on. It just a
shame 'cause the table itself sounds great, and as long as there's no pitch
reference around, I was able to "suspend disbelief". But now I know, ....

appreciate the help, chris b.

You need a slightly larger diameter "drive wheel" to speed up the belt, and
thusly the driven main turntable. Depending on the material you might be able
to get the diameter a bit bigger by merely plating the "drive wheel" - which I
usually call the capstan - with some paint. You could be REALLY scientific and
accurately measure the diameter of the capstan, then figure that it needs to be
enlarged by about 1.5% of the original diameter.

You can figure the percentage by using this site:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/music/cents.html

I'm not at all sure of how big the motor capstan is on that table, but if it's
in the .5" range as it appears in the pictures you'd need something like .03" of
additional material to speed it up. Several coats of a decently thick enamel
might just do it. Sure worth a try as the replacement motor is in the $450
range!

Richard Crowley

"chris berbaum" wrote ...
There's just the drive wheel attached directly to the motor shaft, with a
slotted belt position for 33 rpm and one for 45 rpm, ... the belt then

wraps
around the outside of the platter. The platter bearing actually sits in a
well of lubricant, so no problem there. I used a test record with an A=440
Hz tone, along a 12 TET scale, and a Peterson Virtual Strobe tuner that
indicates of +/- cents of a semitone. I suppose the only thing to do is to
try to find a replacement motor that I can test and then count on.

Unlikely to solve the problem. Just finding a motor at all may prove
problematic. And then it will likely be synchronous and will run at
EXACTLY the same speed as the one you've already got. (Dependent
on power mains frequency, NOT voltage.)

Assuming....
1) "nominal" friction in the motor (remove belt and turn it by hand
to check) should rotate easily, but not much of a flywheel effect.
2) "nominal" friction in the platter (likewise turn by hand with no belt)
should rotate easily and flywheel for at least a second or two. Should
be no "wobble".
3) belt is in reasonable shape (not stretched, glazed, etc.)

If you just want to raise the pitch slightly, you need to very slightly
ENLARGE the diameter of the 33 1/3 section of the pulley. This is
pretty tricky to do. There may be several methods.

It just a shame 'cause the table itself sounds great, and as long
as there's no pitch reference around, I was able to "suspend
disbelief". But now I know, ....

Another example of the tragedy of perfect pitch! :-)

Richard Crowley

"wß" wrote ...
Assuming the speed is constant you could alter the size of the
pully on the motor. Make it smaller to increase the speed.

Uh, perhaps you meant LARGER. Think it through.
Readily shown by the fact that the 45RPM section is
larger than the 33 1/3 groove.

CJT

Goofball_star_dot_etal wrote:

chris berbaum wrote:

[...]

Are you sure?

Tee-Hee

--
After being targeted with gigabytes of trash by the "SWEN" worm, I have
concluded we must conceal our e-mail address. Our true address is the
mirror image of what you see before the "@" symbol. It's a shame such
steps are necessary. ...Charlie

Richard Wagner -Dagwood-

Most of these have a capacitor and a resistor or two in the circuit. It is
possible that these are off value. Check the Linn LP12 faq. They have the same
type of motor setup.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...-tb&q=lp12+faq

They may have some tips in the FAQ as to why these motors slow down.
DagW00d
"Tigers Older brother DAG"

Assuming the speed is constant you could alter the size of the pully on
the motor. Make it smaller to increase the speed.

errr, uhhhmmmm, make it larger. damn it's late....