Dennis Leiterman

Default Scary glitches on music channels

Hi Charles
I just got a digital box last week and had what sounds like your same
problem,
loud cracking and sometimes fading of the music....I just had the cable guy
out last night with a signal meter. It turned out that I was maginally low
on the signal. On my line it was -7db as calibrated on his meter, he
said it should be 0db. I do have a splitter before the box, so he
put an amplifier right before the box which boosted the signal to 0db
(where they say it should be). So far, so good!!! Hope this helps
in getting your problem solved.

"Charles Packer" wrote in message
om...
The digital music channels in our cable TV service occasionally
experience some kind of switching glitch that sounds dangerous
to high-end audio systems. What causes it? It's definitely not the
kind of chattering you hear when a CD is bad. I did a Google search of
rec.audio newsgroups and didn't find anything on this. Does it happen to
anybody?

In a year of listening about an hour a day, I've heard this kind of
thing maybe a half-dozen times. Yesterday morning was the
worst of all. I had the volume turned up moderately and heard what
sounded like a rifle shot. The TV image twitched at the same moment.
As I was pondering whether to bail out to a CD, another sharp crack
occurred. I switched to a CD to see if everything was okay. It wasn't.
The right channel frequencies had horrible distortion at high volume.
I turned off my system until I had time to examine the situation in
detail. An hour later, I turned it on, put a CD in...and everything
was normal. My guess is that the tweeter coils actually had to cool
off before coming back to normal. So far, there appears to be no
permanent damage.

weitrhino

"Dennis Leiterman" wrote in message
news
Hi Charles
I just got a digital box last week and had what sounds like your same
problem,
loud cracking and sometimes fading of the music....I just had the cable

guy
out last night with a signal meter. It turned out that I was maginally

low
on the signal. On my line it was -7db as calibrated on his meter, he
said it should be 0db.

Oh boy. I hate reading things like this.

weitrhino

[...]

Robert Morein

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Robert Morein wrote:

The current popular protective device is the polyfuse, a self-resetting
solid state fuse.
The construction is a conductive polymer that changes phase rapidly above

set temperature.
Every USB port is protected by a polyfuse. They are phenomenally reliable
and noninductive, though they do have a resistance in the tenths of ohms.

Have you got a manufacturer I can check out? This sounds interesting.

The problem with speaker protection devices is that you need something

that
acts fast, but you need something that has a very abrupt transition point

with
little effect below the transition.

http://www.wickmannusa.com/html/pptcsm.html

Charles Packer

"Dennis Leiterman" wrote in message igy.com...
Hi Charles
I just got a digital box last week and had what sounds like your same
problem,
loud cracking and sometimes fading of the music....I just had the cable guy
out last night with a signal meter. It turned out that I was maginally low
on the signal. On my line it was -7db as calibrated on his meter, he
said it should be 0db. I do have a splitter before the box, so he
put an amplifier right before the box which boosted the signal to 0db
(where they say it should be). So far, so good!!! Hope this helps
in getting your problem solved.

As it turns out, the day before the glitch I experienced, my cable
company finally agreed that the problems I had been having with their
modem service were due to their network, and would be fixed by the
next day. Who knows...maybe in the course of whatever they were doing
to fix that, they sent all kinds of glitches down the line. At any rate,
I've discovered that the permanent damage was to my preamp. This is
a relief, since it's ancient and I don't mind having an excuse to
replace it.

weitrhino

I may open a can of worms here, but let it serve to educate me.

Firstly, I have strong doubts about the digital cable music causing a
failure in your pre-amp. That is to say, I can't see a reason for it. I am
assuming you have audio outputs from the box directly into your pre-amp.
The box is a "line level" device the same as any other line level device.
The pre-amp controls the signal being fed into the power amplifier. The
amplifier would only reproduce what is sent into it, right?

Secondly, a loud 'pop' would be a considerable change in amplitude of a
given signal relative to the volume setting. This could not come from the
digital box which is a fixed "line level" device. I would think it far more
likely the fault was lurking within the pre-amp channel all along. I
suspect a capaciter has blown. It's sudden discharge created the change in
amplitude.

I now defer to those with greater insight.

weitrhino

[...]

Charles Packer

"weitrhino" wrote in message ...
Firstly, I have strong doubts about the digital cable music causing a
failure in your pre-amp. That is to say, I can't see a reason for it. I

Indeed, I'm beginning to doubt it too. The preamp subsequently
exhibited some more weird behavior upon being turned on in the
morning. After some exchanging of cables, fiddling with switches,
it went away and hasn't returned, so far. And, incidentally,
Starpower hadn't fixed my modem problem, as they said. This morning
I had to disconnect the TV box from the cable feed to get a high
enough modem level... Things are back to normal!

Charles Packer

"weitrhino" wrote in message ...
Firstly, I have strong doubts about the digital cable music causing a
failure in your pre-amp. That is to say, I can't see a reason for it. I

Indeed, I'm beginning to doubt it too. The preamp subsequently
exhibited some more weird behavior upon being turned on in the
morning. After some exchanging of cables, fiddling with switches,
it went away and hasn't returned, so far. And, incidentally,
Starpower hadn't fixed my modem problem, as they said. This morning
I had to disconnect the TV box from the cable feed to get a high
enough modem level... Things are back to normal!

Comments regarding: Cables, Hearing, Stuff!! lcw999 High End Audio 405 April 29th 04 01:27 AM
Sound, Music, Balance Robert Trosper High End Audio 1 November 21st 03 04:09 AM
New RIAA Twist? John Payne Pro Audio 11 October 28th 03 05:11 AM
Need 16 Channels Low Price Mic Pre for Live Recording? Simon Pro Audio 8 September 23rd 03 06:54 PM
cd music file burning technique question Jimbo General 0 September 2nd 03 08:08 AM