Codifus

Default capturing streaming audio

wrote:

On 2004-02-16, Codifus wrote:

Shrivel wrote:

"Codifus" wrote in message
.net...

Jon M wrote:

not sure if this is the place to ask but:

our daughter has a volunteer job as a DJ at her college radio station

from

3a-6a. the station broadcasts as a real player stream on the internet

and we

would like to be able to record and listen to her shows. can we do this

with

realplayer and if not, is there a 3rd party app that we might use?
thanks in advance,

jon morris

If you have a SounBlaster card, like SBLive, it comes with the capabilty
to record the speaker output. In your volume control settings, enable
the "what you hear" setting. After that, anything you hear through the
speakers can be recorded, either by using the basic recorder that came
with SBLive software, creative recorder, or any wav recording program
you might have, like Cool Edit.

CD

Most cards have the same capability. I've used this method many times to
record streaming audio.

BTM

Are you sure? I've owned 3, and the SBLive was the only one I could use.
I also had the Santa Cruz by Turtle Beach and could never get that
working, or even in full duplex mode, even after with several
conversations with technical support. Otherwise, every other aspect of
that card worked fine.

CD

I "just recorded" a symposium from uctv played with realplayer with the
Santa Cruz sound card onto a tape drive using the output from the
"back speakers" connection. Any soundcard with speaker or earphone output
jacks can be used as input to a recorder.

OK. It looks like you are doing it through hardware with the addition of
some extra cables to set up a loop. With the SBLive, The output, or
"what you hear" is caught by software. No extra cables needed.

CD
lew@csus_spam_goto_ca_doj.edu

On 2004-02-16, Codifus wrote:

Shrivel wrote:

"Codifus" wrote in message
v.net...

Jon M wrote:
[...]

????? I was still able to listen thru the external speakers connected to
the soundcard while recording onto a tape recorder. Only 1 cable was
needed & that is being used to connect from the soundcard to the external
tape recorder. I don't think that SBLive can put good sound into a
recorder without a cable; if a microphone is used for the recorder, that
is still an extra cable & the sound is won't be as good as recording
using an electrical connection.
lew@csus_spam_goto_ca_doj.edu

lew@csus_spam_goto_ca_doj.edu

lew@csus_spam_goto_ca_doj.edu

Codifus

On 2004-02-17, Codifus wrote:

On 2004-02-16, Codifus wrote:

Shrivel wrote:

"Codifus" wrote in message
. cv.net...

Jon M wrote:

[...]

I'm not disputing the quality, just the actual setup. I could have done
the wire setup you mentioned as well, but the SBLive is able to record
it's actual output, what you hear on your speakers, without the need for
extra cables. So, you can record RealAudio just like that. No extra
setup. And as far as quality, I'm not expecting much when it comes to
most any internet audio stream, be it Real, mp3 radio, etc. It's all
mediocre at best. In "what you hear" mode, the creative software is
catching eerything right after going through the DA converter. As an
example of this, one time while recording an internet radio streeam, I
was on AIM. You guessed it, all those AIM sounds wound up in the
recording. Doh!

CD
Codifus

On 2004-02-17, Codifus wrote:

Codifus

On 2004-02-17, Codifus wrote:

Codifus

On 2004-02-17, Codifus wrote:

lew@csus_spam_goto_ca_doj.edu

On 2004-02-17, Codifus wrote:
I'm not disputing the quality, just the actual setup. I could have done
the wire setup you mentioned as well, but the SBLive is able to record
it's actual output, what you hear on your speakers, without the need for
extra cables. So, you can record RealAudio just like that. No extra
setup. And as far as quality, I'm not expecting much when it comes to
most any internet audio stream, be it Real, mp3 radio, etc. It's all
mediocre at best. In "what you hear" mode, the creative software is
catching eerything right after going through the DA converter. As an
example of this, one time while recording an internet radio streeam, I
was on AIM. You guessed it, all those AIM sounds wound up in the
recording. Doh!

CD

I'm curious. We may be talking of different recording media. SBLive is
the soundcard or software or both? Are you recording to an external
device? If you are recording onto your hard drive, it is quite different
than if you are recording to an external tape machine.

What a soundcard with output ports is doing exactly what you claim is
unique to SBLive when recording to a tape deck; the electrical signals
going into the tape deck is exactly the same as the signals going into
the speakers.

Do you really think that the sound going into the tape machine is different
than the sound going to the external speakers? Or perhaps you are thinking
of the sound going to the internal speaker in your computer. Do you think
the soundcard will send different sound signals when you disconnect the
speakers and connect a tape machine as a replaced connection?

lew@csus_spam_goto_ca_doj.edu

lew@csus_spam_goto_ca_doj.edu

lew@csus_spam_goto_ca_doj.edu

Codifus

On 2004-02-17, Codifus wrote:

[...]

The original poster asked about capturing streaming audio. I assumed,
and I think it was a correct assumption, the he wanted to capture that
stream and save it to his computer, not externally, to a cassette. And
yes, SBLive is a soundcard. With its accompanying software, it can do
the things I mentioned before. The setup you mention can be done with
any soundcard, but the ability for a soundcard to record its own output
without the need for extra wires is somewhat unique. Of course, now
there are other posters indiciating that the uniqueness may have not
been the case. I've owned several soundcards, and the only one I could
get to record its own output was the SBLive. All my other soundcards
either did not have the feature at all, or there was a technicality or
difficulty implementing it. For example, my Santa Cruz card featured the
capability to run full duplex and capure its speaker output. I never got
either of those features to work. I suspct that because I was running
Windows 98, the Win98 drivers were limited in their functionality, but
Turtle Beach, the guys who made the card, didn't want to admit it. They
had NT/2000 drivers for the card as which probably did everything right,
but I wasn't about to do a whole OS upgrade just to enable those features.

CD
Codifus

Codifus

Codifus

lew@csus_spam_goto_ca_doj.edu

On 2004-02-18, Codifus wrote:
[...]

I think we got our "signals" crossed. The original posting is the
desire to "record & listen" the daughter's broadcasts. I took it to
mean recording as a permanent "record" and not a "capture"; realplayer
now also have a "capture" feature of video & sound.

lew@csus_spam_goto_ca_doj.edu

lew@csus_spam_goto_ca_doj.edu

lew@csus_spam_goto_ca_doj.edu

Bill

On 2004-02-17, Codifus wrote:

On 2004-02-16, Codifus wrote:

Shrivel wrote:

"Codifus" wrote in message
. cv.net...

Jon M wrote:

[...]

I recommend Super Mp3 Recorder at
http://www.supermp3recorder.com.
It's helpful in capturing streaming audio.

Bill

Bill

Bill

On 2004-02-17, Codifus wrote: