Mike Rivers

Default ISO Windows 98SE Upgrade

I'm wanting to upgrade the old coal-fired Pentium to Windows 98 SE.
It's running Win98 now and working fine, but the time has come. The SE
update is no longer available as a download from the Microsoft web
site.

Any of you PC scrap collectors know of a dealer who sells legitimate
copies for a civilized price? (no eBay deals, please) I'm willing to
pay for the genuine article, but not a bootleg copy. Or better yet,
anybody got what I need who's no longer running Win98 SE and is
willing to donate the update disk or even a full installable (not
"restore") 98SE disk to the cause?

The cause, in this case, is testing a TASCAM US-122 with a minimally
configured computer. I just got one in for review (you'll read
about it in Recording eventually) and I'm going to be running it with
my laptop (WinXP and another desktop (Win2000), but the manual
suggests that its performance isn't likely to be so hot with Win98
prior to Second Edition, so I don't want to be checking it out with a
known disadvantaged system.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )
Aaron Anodide

Hello, I've got a 98SE sitting here on my desk. I'll burn you a copy and
send it, or if you have an ftp server with lots of space, I'll upload an
image during the night.

Regards,
Aaron Anodide

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

[...]

P. Tang

Hey AA..

You just weren't perfectly clear with your offer.. What you meant to
say was:

I have Win98 SE installed on my Compaq machine and I am no longer using
it. Since then, I have moved on to the fabulous Windows XP which I
bought retail. Since the incredible Microsoft company no longer
provides real Windows discs with new computers, I long ago copied those
OS files on a CD with the burner that came in the machine -for safe
keeping. I have since reformatted (deleted) that drive and I no longer
have those files on my computer. Having Installed Windows XP, activated
it and registered it with the dynamite dudes in Redmond, I feel it is
within my rights to give you that license with the appropriate unique
registration number.

That should get you off the hook. It is plausible.

[...]

yojimbo

Hi Mike,

I do not have the Win98SE to offer you, but I would very much like to
know your thoughts and considerations about the US-122. I am not
familiar with "Recording" - is it an industry magazine, or perhaps a
web site you are referring to? Please let me know, as I'd like to find
out what you learn, and whatcha think.

Thank you,

james/yojimbo

On 15 Jul 2003 20:27:56 -0400, (Mike Rivers)
wrote:

[...]

Bob Cain

Mike Rivers wrote:

I'm wanting to upgrade the old coal-fired Pentium to Windows 98 SE.
It's running Win98 now and working fine, but the time has come. The SE
update is no longer available as a download from the Microsoft web
site.

The cause, in this case, is testing a TASCAM US-122 with a minimally
configured computer.

Mike, I think there are problems with USB audio and Win98SE
or earlier systems. I know there is with it on my 900 mHz
pIII. I've tried a couple of USB audio interfaces including
the US-122 on it and got a lot of garbage.

OTOH, the US-122 has given me quite a few trouble free hours
so far on an iBook.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Bob Cain

Brian Takei wrote:

Bob Cain ) wrote:

Mike, I think there are problems with USB audio and Win98SE
or earlier systems. I know there is with it on my 900 mHz
pIII. I've tried a couple of USB audio interfaces including
the US-122 on it and got a lot of garbage.

Bob, do you know what motherboard, chipset and USB controller are in
that computer? (look in Device Manager, under System??..PCI Bridge,
and also USB Controllers??..Controller).

Brian, it's an Iwill mobo with "SIDE RAID66 IDE RAID
controller." It has a "VIA Tech VT82C69x CPU to PCI bridge"
and "VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller".
Are those known to be problematic for USB audio?

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Brian Takei

Bob Cain ) wrote:

Brian, it's an Iwill mobo with "SIDE RAID66 IDE RAID
controller." It has a "VIA Tech VT82C69x CPU to PCI bridge"
and "VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller".
Are those known to be problematic for USB audio?

I've never used it, but VIA does have a patch available for the 3038 USB
1.0 controllers that "fixes very specific issues under specific
circumstances". Info and the 'USB Filter Patch' are available at
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=298 . Among the listed fixes a

- Fixes the issue when a connected usb hub that has no usb devices
connected will be disabled after another usb hub is attached at another
available root port.
- Fixes the issue when transferring large of amounts of data, the
system will hang.
- Avoids noise from a USB audio converter or speaker.
- Supports a usb add-on card.

I glanced at the ReadMe for this cumulative patch, which includes a
history that further describes some fixes, among which a

1.05 Fix the issues where the driver will page fault under Windows
98SE.
1.08 Supports Windows 98 and Windows 2000.

(It also addresses some issues with WinXP.) I don't know what symptoms
you've run into, but this patch seems like it's worth a shot. If it
fails to fix your problem, you might also consider updating with VIA
4in1 drivers, of which VIA has an archive of latest and past versions.
I can't say how promising that is, as I don't have experience with VIA
to know.

Incidentally, there were also Win98/USB problems with some AMD/VIA
combos (with at least two MS patches available), but I doubt they apply
to your PIII system.

Hope it works out for ya,

- Brian

Bob Cain

Brian Takei wrote:

Bob Cain ) wrote:

Brian, it's an Iwill mobo with "SIDE RAID66 IDE RAID
controller." It has a "VIA Tech VT82C69x CPU to PCI bridge"
and "VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller".
Are those known to be problematic for USB audio?

I've never used it, but VIA does have a patch available for the 3038 USB
1.0 controllers that "fixes very specific issues under specific
circumstances". Info and the 'USB Filter Patch' are available at
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=298 . Among the listed fixes a

Thanks, Brian. Got it and installed it. I can now record
from the US-122 with Win98SE into CEP 2.1 with no apparent
problems. It was just a short test but all looks well.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein