Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jamie@jamieiles.co.uk is offline

Default XLR Polarity

Hi,

I am using a set of Sennheiser IEM in a dual mono configuration and
suspect that I have a polarity problem. My setup is that the monitor
send of the band mixer goes into the transmitters left channel and I
have a small submixer that goes into the transmitters right channel. I
use this submixer to create a monitor mix of just my guitar and vocals
(which are already in the monitor mix from the main mixer). I do this
so I can easily adjust the amount of vocal and guitar in my in-ears.

Starting from just the main monitor mix, I can hear my guitar well,
but as I raise the signal from the submixer, the guitar volume drops
until I start to decrease the main monitor signal level. Is this
likely to be due to polarity inversion? Can I fix this by inverting
the polarity of one of the XLR cables going to the transmitter?

Thanks,

Jamie
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

I am using a set of Sennheiser IEM in a dual mono configuration and
suspect that I have a polarity problem. My setup is that the monitor
send of the band mixer goes into the transmitters left channel and I
have a small submixer that goes into the transmitters right channel. I
use this submixer to create a monitor mix of just my guitar and vocals
(which are already in the monitor mix from the main mixer). I do this
so I can easily adjust the amount of vocal and guitar in my in-ears.

Okay.

Starting from just the main monitor mix, I can hear my guitar well,
but as I raise the signal from the submixer, the guitar volume drops
until I start to decrease the main monitor signal level. Is this
likely to be due to polarity inversion? Can I fix this by inverting
the polarity of one of the XLR cables going to the transmitter?

Sure, could well be. But remember, if you do that, you won't be able to
_decrease_ the level of the guitar in your headphones.

Always carry some barrel connectors around that invert pins 2 and 3.
Everybody should have some in their kit, along with the pads.

Speaker Polarity... ~Gene~ Tech 5 December 2nd 06 04:54 PM
Polarity Paul Bissell Pro Audio 6 August 17th 06 06:12 AM
Speaker Polarity help Riverside Tom Tech 4 October 26th 04 01:16 AM
Speaker Polarity Paul Harris Tech 29 July 14th 04 05:06 PM
Changing the polarity? TheBIessedDead Car Audio 4 January 6th 04 06:36 AM