5z3 rectifier

Old December 2nd 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Lewis

Default 5z3 rectifier

Hi,
My understanding of tube rectifiers is somewhat limited, and I'm hoping
to get some help here.

I've seen the basic schematic of a four-pin full-wave tube rectifier
depicted at least two ways, and I'm confused. I've seen it this way:
http://oldradio.qrz.ru/tubes/foreign/01/5Z3.gif
In this configuration, what is done with the center tap of the 5V winding?

I've also seen it where the B+ appears to be taken from the center tap
of the 5V windings, like http://www.anthemav.com/OldSitev1/pdf/taste.pdf
(page 28)

Assuming both of these are acceptable, which is preferable and why?
Thanks,
Lewis
Old December 2nd 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison

"Lewis"

> I've seen the basic schematic of a four-pin full-wave tube rectifier
> depicted at least two ways, and I'm confused. I've seen it this way:
> http://oldradio.qrz.ru/tubes/foreign/01/5Z3.gif
> In this configuration, what is done with the center tap of the 5V winding?

** Huh ?? There ain't one.

> I've also seen it where the B+ appears to be taken from the center tap of
> the 5V windings, like http://www.anthemav.com/OldSitev1/pdf/taste.pdf
> (page 28)
>
> Assuming both of these are acceptable, which is preferable and why?

** If there is a heater CT - then use it for the DC out.

Supply ripple voltage will be more symmetrical on each half cycle -
eliminating any 50 /60 Hz component.

....... Phil

Old December 2nd 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Lewis

Phil Allison wrote:
> "Lewis"
>
>> I've seen the basic schematic of a four-pin full-wave tube rectifier
>> depicted at least two ways, and I'm confused. I've seen it this way:
>> http://oldradio.qrz.ru/tubes/foreign/01/5Z3.gif
>> In this configuration, what is done with the center tap of the 5V winding?

> ** Huh ?? There ain't one.
>

>> I've also seen it where the B+ appears to be taken from the center tap of
>> the 5V windings, like http://www.anthemav.com/OldSitev1/pdf/taste.pdf
>> (page 28)
>>
>> Assuming both of these are acceptable, which is preferable and why?

> ** If there is a heater CT - then use it for the DC out.
>
> Supply ripple voltage will be more symmetrical on each half cycle -
> eliminating any 50 /60 Hz component.
>

> ...... Phil

Thanks, Phil. If I understand you correctly, I should use the second
configuration if the transformer has a heater CT. I'm using a Hammond
272JX and it has a 5V 4A center-tapped rectifier section, so I'll plan
to take DC from the CT of that section.
Lewis