How do you test a Selenium Rectifier?

Old December 2nd 18, 07:30 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair

Default How do you test a Selenium Rectifier?

How do you test a Selenium Rectifier?

Yes, I am aware that they should be replaced, but on preliminary tests
of this 1956 Zenith tube AM-FM Radio, I want to know if it's working. My
digital multimeter shows 1meg in one direction, 2.5 meg the other way.
NOT DISCONNECTED FROM THE CIRCUIT. To me, that seems bad, but I have not
worked with one of these in many years, and never had to replace one in
the old days. My meter was climbing, probably from the filter caps.
during this test.

Old December 2nd 18, 11:57 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom

On Sun, 02 Dec 2018 01:26:41 -0600, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

> A DMM won't read correctly. No enough voltage compliance on the current
> source to read ohms correctly.

True, but it *might* give some rough indication, like if the thing has
somehow shorted out. I have a few of those lying around somewhere; I'll
measure 'em with a DVM just out of curiosity and see if I get readings
like those reported by tabbs.

> Just replace it with a 1N4007 diode and about 100 ohms series resistor.

Not kosher if you want to keep the internals original! Many collectors
are extremely fussy about that.

Old December 2nd 18, 05:17 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom

On Sun, 02 Dec 2018 10:12:01 -0500, Ralph Mowery wrote:

> Get a voltage source of around 10 volts or more (maybe even a 9 volt
> battery will be enough) use your meter on the voltage scale and put hte
> battery , diode , voltmeter in series. Then turn the voltage or diode
> around and measure again. There should be a couple of volts dropped one
> way and many more (almost all) the other.

+1

Old December 6th 18, 06:42 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 10:57:07 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
> wrote:

>On Sun, 02 Dec 2018 01:26:41 -0600, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
>
>> A DMM won't read correctly. No enough voltage compliance on the current
>> source to read ohms correctly.

>True, but it *might* give some rough indication, like if the thing has
>somehow shorted out. I have a few of those lying around somewhere; I'll
>measure 'em with a DVM just out of curiosity and see if I get readings
>like those reported by tabbs.
>

>> Just replace it with a 1N4007 diode and about 100 ohms series resistor.

>Not kosher if you want to keep the internals original! Many collectors
>are extremely fussy about that.

I plan to leave it on the chassis for looks, but replace it.
My voltage is real low, so it seems it's weak or worse....

Old December 18th 18, 07:09 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
Big Bad Bob

On 12/01/18 22:30, wrote:
> How do you test a Selenium Rectifier?
>
> Yes, I am aware that they should be replaced, but on preliminary tests
> of this 1956 Zenith tube AM-FM Radio, I want to know if it's working. My
> digital multimeter shows 1meg in one direction, 2.5 meg the other way.
> NOT DISCONNECTED FROM THE CIRCUIT. To me, that seems bad, but I have not
> worked with one of these in many years, and never had to replace one in
> the old days. My meter was climbing, probably from the filter caps.
> during this test.

forward/back resistance with a basic ohm meter should be around 100:1 or
better as I recall, and you might have to use a resistance bridge of
some kind (or other measuring circuit) with a voltage potential of
several volts for the higher voltage selenium rectifiers.

Selenium rectifiers might have a voltage drop of several volts during
normal operation. So maybe a test circuit would work better...

You could drive normal AC power through it, into a (safe) resistive load
(no capacitors), and then look at the downstream waveform on an o-scope.
It should be half wave AC at a reasonable peak voltage, into a
reasonable resistive load (let's say a 10k or 20k several-watt resistor).

I assume it's for a radio that runs on 110V [or maybe 220/240V for EU
and AU radios]. So you'll see a half-wave 50/60 cycle waveform that
peaks at around 1.4 times the input voltage.

If you look at it with an o-scope and see too much on the negative
cycle, you'll know it's bad. Otherwise it should be ok to use it as
long as the resulting output voltage is correct.

--
(aka 'Bombastic Bob' in case you wondered)

'Feeling with my fingers, and thinking with my brain' - me
Old December 18th 18, 07:12 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
Big Bad Bob

On 12/05/18 21:42, wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 10:57:07 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 02 Dec 2018 01:26:41 -0600, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
>>
>>> A DMM won't read correctly. No enough voltage compliance on the current
>>> source to read ohms correctly.

>> True, but it *might* give some rough indication, like if the thing has
>> somehow shorted out. I have a few of those lying around somewhere; I'll
>> measure 'em with a DVM just out of curiosity and see if I get readings
>> like those reported by tabbs.
>>

>>> Just replace it with a 1N4007 diode and about 100 ohms series resistor.

>> Not kosher if you want to keep the internals original! Many collectors
>> are extremely fussy about that.

> I plan to leave it on the chassis for looks, but replace it.
> My voltage is real low, so it seems it's weak or worse....

right they'll probably short out when they fail and blow the filter caps.

You could try a resistive load (10k-20k, several watt resistor) and
disconnect it from the filter capacitors when you do it. Then look at
the waveform. (I suggested this in a different post already, just
summarizing)

--
(aka 'Bombastic Bob' in case you wondered)

'Feeling with my fingers, and thinking with my brain' - me

selenium rectifier spice model robert casey Vacuum Tubes 2 January 20th 07 09:10 AM
5z3 rectifier Lewis Vacuum Tubes 2 December 2nd 06 03:41 AM
Unknown rectifier? Tonni Vacuum Tubes 5 February 25th 06 03:29 PM
6CA4 and a Selenium rectifier Al Marcy Vacuum Tubes 1 February 10th 05 02:51 AM
Best 5Y3 Rectifier? BoB Vacuum Tubes 12 May 29th 04 11:16 PM