OT: Who likes babes ?

Old January 13th 21, 09:59 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default OT: Who likes babes ?

Hi,

artificial intelligence technology has produced something amasing:

B&W photos of notable female celebs from over 100 year back coming to life. I mean moving, smiling & blinking in a natural manner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7q7jCmkTCw

May change you whole perception of the past, previously based solely on blurry pics.

Possibly you great grandma looked like one of these as an early 20 year old.

..... rgds, Phil

Old January 13th 21, 10:46 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 13/01/2021 9:59 pm, wrote:

> Hi,
>
> artificial intelligence technology has produced something amasing:
>
> B&W photos of notable female celebs from over 100 year back coming to life. I mean moving, smiling & blinking in a natural manner.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7q7jCmkTCw
>
> May change you whole perception of the past, previously based solely on blurry pics.
>
> Possibly you great grandma looked like one of these as an early 20 year old.
>

> .... rgds, Phil

A bit like those ghastly faux-3D photos that keep popping up on
Farcebook, but a little more advanced dynamically.

Nice subjects.

Old January 13th 21, 11:43 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 00:59:20 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>artificial intelligence technology has produced something amasing:
>
>B&W photos of notable female celebs from over 100 year back coming to life. I mean moving, smiling & blinking in a natural manner.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7q7jCmkTCw
>
>May change you whole perception of the past, previously based solely on blurry pics.
>
>Possibly you great grandma looked like one of these as an early 20 year old.
>

>.... rgds, Phil

Maybe one day, but that software is still a few generations away from
making them look like anything but one of those creepy Japanese
human-like robots.

Old January 13th 21, 12:44 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
gray_wolf

On 13/01/2021 4:43 am, Don Pearce wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 00:59:20 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> artificial intelligence technology has produced something amasing:
>>
>> B&W photos of notable female celebs from over 100 year back coming to life. I mean moving, smiling & blinking in a natural manner.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7q7jCmkTCw
>>
>> May change you whole perception of the past, previously based solely on blurry pics.
>>
>> Possibly you great grandma looked like one of these as an early 20 year old.
>>

>> .... rgds, Phil
>>

> Maybe one day, but that software is still a few generations away from
> making them look like anything but one of those creepy Japanese
> human-like robots.

I wonder if AI could be used to restore and improve recordings.

Old January 13th 21, 02:00 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 05:44:17 -0600, gray_wolf >
wrote:

>On 13/01/2021 4:43 am, Don Pearce wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 00:59:20 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> artificial intelligence technology has produced something amasing:
>>>
>>> B&W photos of notable female celebs from over 100 year back coming to life. I mean moving, smiling & blinking in a natural manner.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7q7jCmkTCw
>>>
>>> May change you whole perception of the past, previously based solely on blurry pics.
>>>
>>> Possibly you great grandma looked like one of these as an early 20 year old.
>>>

>>> .... rgds, Phil
>>>

>> Maybe one day, but that software is still a few generations away from
>> making them look like anything but one of those creepy Japanese
>> human-like robots.

>I wonder if AI could be used to restore and improve recordings.

Forget "and". Maybe improve, but restoration is not possible. That
implies recovering accurately what is lost. That is not going to
happen. But making old scratchy recordings sound better? Yes, why not?

Old January 13th 21, 02:45 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

On 13/01/2021 13:00, Don Pearce wrote:

> Forget "and". Maybe improve, but restoration is not possible. That
> implies recovering accurately what is lost. That is not going to
> happen. But making old scratchy recordings sound better? Yes, why not?

We can already do a lot about scratchiness, and it's not too hard to
imagine a way of applying the known recording and playback distortions
in reverse. I'm sure the intelligence mob are already doing it to phone
calls and the like.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old January 13th 21, 03:57 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 13:45:14 +0000, John Williamson
> wrote:

>On 13/01/2021 13:00, Don Pearce wrote:
>
>> Forget "and". Maybe improve, but restoration is not possible. That
>> implies recovering accurately what is lost. That is not going to
>> happen. But making old scratchy recordings sound better? Yes, why not?

>We can already do a lot about scratchiness, and it's not too hard to
>imagine a way of applying the known recording and playback distortions
>in reverse. I'm sure the intelligence mob are already doing it to phone
>calls and the like.

You have to be able to derive the transfer characteristic of the
recording chain if you want to do that. I'm not convinced that "known
distortions" are specific enough.

Old January 13th 21, 05:58 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

On 13/01/2021 14:57, Don Pearce wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 13:45:14 +0000, John Williamson
> > wrote:
>
>> We can already do a lot about scratchiness, and it's not too hard to
>> imagine a way of applying the known recording and playback distortions
>> in reverse. I'm sure the intelligence mob are already doing it to phone
>> calls and the like.

> You have to be able to derive the transfer characteristic of the
> recording chain if you want to do that. I'm not convinced that "known
> distortions" are specific enough.

Either way, given the incentive and a powerful enough computer, I'm sure
it can be done, Even a "best guess" would help.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.