Posted to rec.audio.high-end
---MIKE--- ---MIKE--- is offline

Default Which iPod?

I am thinking of getting an iPod for music only. I want to store music
uncompressed and would like to avoid a hard drive. I don't need it to
store a large number of CDs. How much storage will I need? I would be
using an uploader that does not require a computer (which I don't have).

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Chung Chung is offline

---MIKE--- wrote:
I am thinking of getting an iPod for music only. I want to store music
uncompressed and would like to avoid a hard drive. I don't need it to
store a large number of CDs. How much storage will I need? I would be
using an uploader that does not require a computer (which I don't have).

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

The iPod Nano is based on solid state memory, and has up to 8 GB
capacity. If you store .wav files (lossless uncompressed), each hour of
music requires 635 MB, so you can fit about 12 hours of music in it.

A better way is to use Apple's lossless compression. You gain about a
factor of about 2X in song capacity.

I don't know of any way to transfer songs to the iPod without a
computer. You need to find a friend with one.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

---MIKE--- wrote:
I am thinking of getting an iPod for music only. I want to store music
uncompressed and would like to avoid a hard drive. I don't need it to
store a large number of CDs. How much storage will I need? I would be

A 74-min CD holds 640 Mb of audio data. So 1 Gigabyte is enough for ~1.5
CDs (probably more, since many CDs contain less than 74 min of music)
The max capacity of an ipod these days is 80 Gb.

You can fit at least twice as many on there using Apple Lossless
(ALAC, only lossless compressed format that Ipods play), which
compresses audio files to 40-60% of their original size with no data
loss.

using an uploader that does not require a computer
(which I don't have).

AFAIK all ipods require a computer interface to upload files
(whether you've ripped the files yourself, of downloaded them
from iTunes or other online vendor).
Also, a computer is required to rip the music to a
hard drive.

You can't load an ipod directly from, say, a CD player.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
---MIKE--- ---MIKE--- is offline

Steven Sullivan wrote:

You can't load an ipod directly from,
say, a CD player.

This is no longer true. There is a device that will upload an iPod
directly from any audio input.

Now another question. In checking mp3 players, I see than Sandisk and
others market them How do these units compare with the Apple iPod?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Tim Tim is offline

In article , ---MIKE---
wrote:

I am thinking of getting an iPod for music only. I want to store music
uncompressed and would like to avoid a hard drive. I don't need it to
store a large number of CDs. How much storage will I need? I would be
using an uploader that does not require a computer (which I don't have).

Do you have a particular reason for not wanting one with a hard drive?

Mine has a 15gb HD and performs very well. Most of the time the drive
is off to save battery power. I think it must spin the drive and load
the current song into memory from where it is played.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Chung Chung is offline

---MIKE--- wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:

You can't load an ipod directly from,
say, a CD player.

This is no longer true. There is a device that will upload an iPod
directly from any audio input.

Such devices most likely operate in real time, meaning it takes one
minute to upload one minute of audio. You are also stuck with the
quality of their ADC's and their encoders. Not a good way to go. And how
do you manage your music on your iPod without a computer? How do you
create playlists, delete songs, change ID tags, etc?

Now another question. In checking mp3 players, I see than Sandisk and
others market them How do these units compare with the Apple iPod?

Sandisk is in the solid state memory business. They offer only
flash-based players, which may be what you were asking for. Capacities
are limited to several GB's.

Creative offers higher capacity high-disk based players, up to 60 GB.
Most of their models have line input capability, so you don't need a
computer, technically speaking. But it will be painful to do real-time
recording.

Sonically, the differences between players may not be big. There are
much bigger differences between headphones. More important are features
and file compatibility. iPods do not play .wma files, and other brands
do not play .aac files, for example. User-friendliness is something that
you need to evaluate yourself. I think the iPods have an edge there.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Chung Chung is offline

Steven Sullivan wrote:
---MIKE--- wrote:

I am thinking of getting an iPod for music only. I want to store music
uncompressed and would like to avoid a hard drive. I don't need it to
store a large number of CDs. How much storage will I need? I would be

A 74-min CD holds 640 Mb of audio data. So 1 Gigabyte is enough for ~1.5
CDs (probably more, since many CDs contain less than 74 min of music)
The max capacity of an ipod these days is 80 Gb.

Actually, 74 minutes of Redbook music takes up 745 MB. You can calculate
the size: 44.1 K samples/sec x 2 x 16 bits/sample x 1byte/8bits x
number of seconds. All that data can fit in a 650 MB CD because audio
CD's do not use the CD's error correction code.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
---MIKE--- ---MIKE--- is offline

Steven Sullivan asked:

Got any links? (about a device to load
an iPod without a computer).

Go to Google and type in "The One-Touch Any-Media iPod Uploader"
(without the quotes). Or go to Amazon and search for the iRecord. The
unit sells for $199.99.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Chung Chung is offline

---MIKE--- wrote:
Steven Sullivan asked:

Got any links? (about a device to load
an iPod without a computer).

Go to Google and type in "The One-Touch Any-Media iPod Uploader"
(without the quotes). Or go to Amazon and search for the iRecord. The
unit sells for $199.99.

This device does not work for you, since you want to record uncompressed
audio. This device always compresses, and you only get one output rate:
192 Kbps. And you still need a PC to initialize your iPod properly.

It does not make sense to get this unit for audio only compression. It
is really designed nore for video compression.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] israr.khan@gmail.com is offline

On May 2, 2:58 am, Steven Sullivan wrote:
---MIKE--- wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:
You can't load an ipod directly from,
say, a CD player.

This is no longer true. There is a device that will upload an iPod
directly from any audio input.

Got any links?

See www.irecord.com,
iRecord can directly record H.264 video with AAC audio or MP3 audio to
iPod/PSP or other USB storage devices.