Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default downloading music for cd transfer

I'm not exactly inexperienced when it comes to computer tech, but I could
use some pointers on music downloads. What I really want to do is fill in my
classical collection with pieces that may be available on cd. However, the
things I want are often paired with material I already own, and it seems
wasteful for me to pay for a cd when I really need or want only part of its
content. So, my situation boils down to the following question:

Where can a find a library of downloadable classic performances which I can
transfer to cd format? I do not object to paying for this material, of
course. I realize that most of this is in mp3 format, which then would be
converted to cd playable material. I have a program called Audacity, which
will do the conversions. Now, I just need the material. thanks

Sherm

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

thanks adam...no offense taken...I don't really want to copy cds which I do
not own, so that leaves out the library option. but, I will look at
eclassical...and see what's available and how it works...btw, I don't really
care about the mp3 format...but, I thought that because of its compression,
that's how audio is sent via the inet...anyway, I think I'm on the way to a
solution. again, thanks.

sherm
"Adam" wrote in message
no, I am not using google groups...

sherm

OK, then I am sorry for being a weisenheimer.

I have a huge collection of classical music on CD and LP, but I don't
really have anything on MP3. You say you want to get good "chunks" of
albums, as it were, without having to pay out for an entire CD, but you
want the end-product in CD audio format.

My solution would be to borrow CD's from your local library system and
use Roxio Easy CD Creator to burn them to CD-R. Yes, low-tech compared
to downloading from the internet, but effective.

Other options include getting a copy of the BitTorrent client from
www.bittorrent.com, and then checking out one of the various BitTorrent
sites, to see what people have seeded (put there). That is all
completely free...and very cool, from a shared technology perspective.

Last but not least, check out www.eclassical.com, which is a website
where you can buy classical MP3's.

Good luck,

Adam

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

Adam wrote:

My solution would be to borrow CD's from your local library system and
use Roxio Easy CD Creator to burn them to CD-R. Yes, low-tech compared
to downloading from the internet, but effective.

Also illegal.

Other options include getting a copy of the BitTorrent client from
www.bittorrent.com, and then checking out one of the various BitTorrent
sites, to see what people have seeded (put there). That is all
completely free...and very cool, from a shared technology perspective.

And very illegal.

Last but not least, check out www.eclassical.com, which is a website
where you can buy classical MP3's.

OK, so you're not a total criminal.

Seriously, there's boatloads of classical downloads, on iTunes,
Rhapsody, and all the rest. Go to the Philadelphia Orchestra site, and
you can download a pretty good live performance of Beethoven's Fifth
for free, and buy the rest of the cycle for 5 or 6 bucks a pop.

The catch is that most of this is MP3 format or other lossy
compression. (The Philly sells FLAC files for a small premium.) So you
won't be getting CD quality, even if you convert the files to WAV/AIFF
and transfer to a CD. But if you want to explore some new music without
shelling out more than you have to, the sound quality may be a
reasonable compromise.

bob