Posted to rec.audio.high-end
---MIKE--- ---MIKE--- is offline

Default Missing center channel

Most of my DVDs and SACDs have all five channels but some don't have a
center channel. The London Symphony Live SACDs that I have are minus a
center channel. A new DVD ("Libera" on EMI) is missing the center
channel even though the menu says 5.1 surround and my player display
mode says 3/2.1. Is it common for some discs to not have a center
channel?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

---MIKE--- wrote:
Most of my DVDs and SACDs have all five channels but some don't have a
center channel. The London Symphony Live SACDs that I have are minus a
center channel. A new DVD ("Libera" on EMI) is missing the center
channel even though the menu says 5.1 surround and my player display
mode says 3/2.1. Is it common for some discs to not have a center
channel?

Not common, perhaps, but certainly not unknown. Some discs are
'5.1' but have no content in the surround or .1 channels, for example
(e.g. Mercury Living Presence 3-channel SACDs)

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
---MIKE--- wrote:
Most of my DVDs and SACDs have all five channels but some don't have a
center channel. The London Symphony Live SACDs that I have are minus a
center channel. A new DVD ("Libera" on EMI) is missing the center
channel even though the menu says 5.1 surround and my player display
mode says 3/2.1. Is it common for some discs to not have a center
channel?

Not common, perhaps, but certainly not unknown. Some discs are
'5.1' but have no content in the surround or .1 channels, for example
(e.g. Mercury Living Presence 3-channel SACDs)

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason

Those that omit the center do so for one of two reasons;

1) They are basically quad masters from the '70's, recorded that way and
presented as four channel within the surround possibilities of the 5.1
technologies.

2) They are produced by companies who philosophically have decided that it
is better to continue having a phantom center channel (a la stereo) based on
what are likely to be the best speakers, rather than from a center channel
that conceivably might be the weakest link in the whole system. Chesky
falls into this camp.

Center Channel Review Tony F Car Audio 7 May 28th 06 06:47 AM
AV receiver missing 5.1 channel inputs [email protected] Tech 12 July 27th 05 08:35 PM
Hales center channel David Marketplace 0 September 27th 04 05:40 AM
FS: Klipsch KSC-C1 center channel jjpsych Marketplace 0 June 22nd 04 05:18 PM
Center Channel Question neamb2 Tech 15 December 29th 03 01:59 AM