jb

Default Digidesign pro-tools Mbox/Dell 8400

The Pro-tools Mbox spec sheet says it is not compatible with the Intel
925X chip set. Unfortunately, that is what comes stock to the new Dell
8400 I just ordered. Digidesign specs say the Mbox is compatable with
the Intel 925XE chip set. the only difference (as far as I can see
from the Intel specs) is about .26mhz, so I don't understand why the
pro-tools specs say that the 925X chip set won't work. Anybody have
experience with this problem and advice? the system I ordered is a
Windows XP, Pent. 4, 3.2 ghz, with 1GB Dual channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533
mhz.
thanks,
jb

Lorin David Schultz

"jb" wrote in message
ups.com...
The Pro-tools Mbox spec sheet says it is not compatible with the Intel
925X chip set. Unfortunately, that is what comes stock to the new
Dell
8400 I just ordered. Digidesign specs say the Mbox is compatable with
the Intel 925XE chip set. the only difference (as far as I can see
from the Intel specs) is about .26mhz, so I don't understand why the
pro-tools specs say that the 925X chip set won't work. Anybody have
experience with this problem and advice? the system I ordered is a
Windows XP, Pent. 4, 3.2 ghz, with 1GB Dual channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533
mhz.
thanks,
jb

I'm afraid I have no helpful advice to offer, but I gotta wonder why you
choose to try rationalizing the use of a device your supplier has
specifically warned you against, rather than just buying something on
the "approved" list? Why waste time, effort and money on something
they've already said won't work?

Cancel the order and buy something else.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

jb

Lorin,
Right. I realized the mistake only after I had already ordered the
computer, it's on it's way. I probably will return it. The funny
thing is tho, I have been on the phone with Dell and talked to
2different techies, one said the system has the 925 XE and one said it
had the 925X. so I e-mailed yet another techie who looked up my order
and he has assured me it has the 925XE, the one I need. so I guess I
won't really know until it gets here. Even then, I might not really
know what chip set it has in it until I hook it up and see if it
works with the mbox. jb