John

Default More Respect for Hunter Thompson

per CNN online

"Journalist Hunter S. Thompson did not take his life "in a moment of
haste or anger or despondency" and probably planned his suicide well in
advance because of his declining health, the family's spokesman said
Wednesday."

the full article makes complete sense and fits him perfectly. It was
going to be done his way, on his terms.

Much respect. I hope they get the cannon.
--
Digital Services Recording Studios
http://www.digisrvs.com
Joe Sensor

John wrote:

per CNN online

"Journalist Hunter S. Thompson did not take his life "in a moment of
haste or anger or despondency" and probably planned his suicide well in
advance because of his declining health, the family's spokesman said
Wednesday."

the full article makes complete sense and fits him perfectly. It was
going to be done his way, on his terms.

Much respect. I hope they get the cannon.

Right, so his family can enter the room and find chunks of his brain,
skull, eyes, etc. blown about the room, with a rather large spattering
of his blood as a backdrop. Nice plan.

Sounds like a really great guy. . .
nmm

Joe Sensor wrote:
John wrote:

per CNN online

"Journalist Hunter S. Thompson did not take his life "in a moment

of
haste or anger or despondency" and probably planned his suicide

well in
advance because of his declining health, the family's spokesman

said
Wednesday."

the full article makes complete sense and fits him perfectly. It

was
going to be done his way, on his terms.

Much respect. I hope they get the cannon.

Right, so his family can enter the room and find chunks of his brain,

skull, eyes, etc. blown about the room, with a rather large

spattering
of his blood as a backdrop. Nice plan.

Sounds like a really great guy. . .

There is a really interesting interview with him from jan 2003 on the
Democracy Now program for Feb 23rd 2003

http://www.democracynow.org

Jonny Durango

This might change your mind about that one....this is how I'm going out

www.lifegem.com

almost makes me look forward to the afterlife =)

--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com

"John" wrote in message
per CNN online

"Journalist Hunter S. Thompson did not take his life "in a moment of
haste or anger or despondency" and probably planned his suicide well in
advance because of his declining health, the family's spokesman said
Wednesday."

the full article makes complete sense and fits him perfectly. It was
going to be done his way, on his terms.

Much respect. I hope they get the cannon.
--
Digital Services Recording Studios
http://www.digisrvs.com

WillStG

John wrote:
per CNN online

"Journalist Hunter S. Thompson did not take his life "in a moment of
haste or anger or despondency" and probably planned his suicide well

in
advance because of his declining health, the family's spokesman said
Wednesday."

the full article makes complete sense and fits him perfectly. It was

going to be done his way, on his terms.

Much respect. I hope they get the cannon.

Well if he really wanted to go out with a bang, why didn't he do
the cannon on the 4th Of July, while he was still alive? Now _that_
would have been something.

And were he my family member I would appreciate a chance to say a
real goodbye, I think there is something intrisically cowardly about
sneaking off while no one's looking (My opinion based on personal
experiences with the matter.)

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News Channel / M-AES

Bob Cain

Joe Sensor wrote:

Right, so his family can enter the room and find chunks of his brain,
skull, eyes, etc. blown about the room, with a rather large spattering
of his blood as a backdrop. Nice plan.

Sounds like a really great guy. . .

And you know this how?

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Ricky Hunt

"Joe Sensor" wrote in message

Right, so his family can enter the room and find chunks of his brain,
skull, eyes, etc. blown about the room, with a rather large spattering of
his blood as a backdrop. Nice plan.

Current laws don't offer many options. I agree the gun messy but it's the
core issue of "how do we handle degrading life" that needs to be dealt with.

Ricky Hunt

"WillStG" wrote in message
oups.com...

And were he my family member I would appreciate a chance to say a
real goodbye, I think there is something intrisically cowardly about
sneaking off while no one's looking (My opinion based on personal
experiences with the matter.)

You don't really have that option (for obvious reasons). Unless someone has
been in chronic pain/health problems they can't begin to even believe how
bad it can be so will likely (with good intention) try to prevent the exit.
Again, something our current laws don't address very well.

CliffB

another viewer wrote:
In article ,
Joe Sensor wrote:

John wrote:

per CNN online

"Journalist Hunter S. Thompson did not take his life "in a moment

of
haste or anger or despondency" and probably planned his suicide

well in
advance because of his declining health, the family's spokesman

said
Wednesday."

the full article makes complete sense and fits him perfectly. It

was
going to be done his way, on his terms.

Much respect. I hope they get the cannon.

Right, so his family can enter the room and find chunks of his

brain,
skull, eyes, etc. blown about the room, with a rather large

spattering
of his blood as a backdrop. Nice plan.

Sounds like a really great guy. . .

i seriously doubt it was done that way, expecially if you read the
article, which you obviously haven't.

It's been reported that the son and grandson were in the house at the
time of the suicide, which was executed in the kitchen. The son
discovered the body. Later it was said that mental health care social
service types who customarily come to such scenes after the fact asked
to speak to the grandchild. I could see some additional trauma from
being on hand within shouting distance when the gun went off. The
circumstances are sad; no use putting a pretty face on it. Even though
the article states he was not "despondant" (this seems like conjecture
and shading the facts), I would tend to believe there was a despair at
living which had won out in Thompson's heart (which is invariably sad
especially given the vibrancy of his daring living), and the apparent
fact that he was reported in decent spirits that week could agree with
the notion that he'd made his decision to leave this mortal coil and
was grinning, bearing and making the best of his last days. But over
all the death wish was ascendant.

--
Iron Butt Assoc., WATR 4X, BL3 paparazzi, E.O.B.
R1100RT, R75/5

play_on

On 23 Feb 2005 23:37:47 -0800, "WillStG" wrote:

John wrote:
per CNN online

"Journalist Hunter S. Thompson did not take his life "in a moment of
haste or anger or despondency" and probably planned his suicide well

in
advance because of his declining health, the family's spokesman said
Wednesday."

the full article makes complete sense and fits him perfectly. It was

going to be done his way, on his terms.

Much respect. I hope they get the cannon.

Well if he really wanted to go out with a bang, why didn't he do
the cannon on the 4th Of July, while he was still alive? Now _that_
would have been something.

And were he my family member I would appreciate a chance to say a
real goodbye, I think there is something intrisically cowardly about
sneaking off while no one's looking (My opinion based on personal
experiences with the matter.)

He didn't sneak off. His wife was on the phone while he did it, and
his son was in the next room.
dale

And were he my family member I would appreciate a chance to say a
real goodbye, I think there is something intrisically cowardly about
sneaking off while no one's looking (My opinion based on personal
experiences with the matter.)

Will Miho

A spokesman for the Thompson family said Wednesday that the family had
no hint that Thompson was going to take his own life, but in
retrospect, they believe that he planned the act and had spent the days
before his suicide bonding with his family. "This was not just an act
of irrationality," said spokesman Douglas Brinkley. "It was a very
preplanned act."

Animix

"dale" wrote in message
oups.com...
And were he my family member I would appreciate a chance to say a
real goodbye, I think there is something intrisically cowardly about
sneaking off while no one's looking (My opinion based on personal
experiences with the matter.)

Will Miho

A spokesman for the Thompson family said Wednesday that the family had
no hint that Thompson was going to take his own life, but in
retrospect, they believe that he planned the act and had spent the days
before his suicide bonding with his family. "This was not just an act
of irrationality," said spokesman Douglas Brinkley. "It was a very
preplanned act."

I've personally experienced the aftermath of two suicides by gunshot. They
were both preplanned. The victims of the suicide were the friends and family
who had the honor of hearing and then subsequently discovering/trying to
resussitate and then finally watching helplessly in abject horror as the
individual died. I'm sure that his son and wife are going to have some fond
and colorful memories of the kitchen cleanup.

DJ

Glenn Dowdy

"John" wrote in message

Much respect. I hope they get the cannon.

They've got access to one, anyway. A local Denver radio station found
someone with one or more cannon to do the honors.

Glenn D.

John

In article .com,
"WillStG" wrote:

And were he my family member I would appreciate a chance to say a
real goodbye, I think there is something intrisically cowardly about
sneaking off while no one's looking (My opinion based on personal
experiences with the matter.)

Hunter did exactly that, he spent the weekend with his entire family.
I think it was well planned and executed. You obviously didn't read the
news report from the family I referenced.

Sorry your personal experiences weren't as well done.
--
Digital Services Recording Studios
http://www.digisrvs.com
WillStG

John wrote:
In article .com,
"WillStG" wrote:

And were he my family member I would appreciate a chance to say a
real goodbye, I think there is something intrisically cowardly

about
sneaking off while no one's looking (My opinion based on personal
experiences with the matter.)

Hunter did exactly that, he spent the weekend with his entire family.
I think it was well planned and executed. You obviously didn't read

the
news report from the family I referenced.

Sorry your personal experiences weren't as well done.

A lot of people live their lives with a greater burden - and much
greater courage - than Hunter Thompson's showed by his suicide. In my
book it is a selfish, chicken **** and cowardly way he choose to go
out.

But you go ahead and follow the path of your idol, people will
follow their idols to the grave and there is no use discussing it.
Certainly many young people at risk have chosen to follow the way of
Kurt Cobain, or decided to be herion addicts and die in the gutter
because they idolized Bird or Jaco. But at least some H addicts
survive long enough to tell you they screwed up, but when a guy commits
suicide, if that turns out to have serious negative personal
consequences it ain't too easy to pass on the message to your admireres
that you really screwed up and it was dumbass move unworthy of
emulation.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News Channel / M-AES

play_on

Well I agree to an extent... but how do you know he didn't say goodby
first?

I'm not bummed he's dead but that fact that he killed himself in that
particular way is a drag.

Al

On 24 Feb 2005 03:50:32 -0800, "dale" wrote:

And were he my family member I would appreciate a chance to say a
real goodbye, I think there is something intrisically cowardly about
sneaking off while no one's looking (My opinion based on personal
experiences with the matter.)

Will Miho

A spokesman for the Thompson family said Wednesday that the family had
no hint that Thompson was going to take his own life, but in
retrospect, they believe that he planned the act and had spent the days
before his suicide bonding with his family. "This was not just an act
of irrationality," said spokesman Douglas Brinkley. "It was a very
preplanned act."

play_on

On 24 Feb 2005 11:46:40 -0800, "WillStG" wrote:

In my
book it is a selfish, chicken **** and cowardly way he choose to go
out.

Yeah but we all know about your opinions. Since you weren't privy to
the details why don't you chill out with the harsh judgmental
attitude, dude?

Al
WillStG

play_on wrote:
On 24 Feb 2005 11:46:40 -0800, "WillStG" wrote:

In my
book it is a selfish, chicken **** and cowardly way he choose to go
out.

Yeah but we all know about your opinions. Since you weren't privy to
the details why don't you chill out with the harsh judgmental
attitude, dude?

Be a man Al, stand up on your own feet, own your own opinions, and
stop hiding behind the bull**** "we all know" line.

But as I said there's no use arguing it, you have every right to
follow your "respected" idol's chicken **** dumbass moves right into
the grave. Go ahead and emulate your hero if you think it was such a
noble thing to do, to leave his brains splattered all over house for
his family to find. But when you "do it" I'll be just as ****ed at
you as I am at Hunter Thompson, and my eulogy for you will be your end
was also a predictable, dumbass, and chicken **** move.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News Channel / M-AES

WillStG

another viewer wrote:
no dear, the cowardly way to go out is terminally ill, plugged up to
every machine imaginable and wasting away time and money when the
inevitable is present.

Strawman. He was not terminally ill. The news accounts report he
had been saying for the last 2 years he "wanted to die before it
stopped being fun." He was afraid of growing old. And he shot himself
in the head with a 6 year old in the house, there is no excuse for
that.

planning and saying "i love you all, here is why this is happening

and
goodbye, the inevitable is going to happen on my terms" takes

fortitude
most people can't imagine.

That's not what happened either. And there is a big difference
between not being kept alive artificially and shooting yourself in the
head. The facts of Thompsosn's own words suggest he simply feared old
age, that he in fact succumbed to his inner fears. But I am fully
aware that some of you prefer to maintain a heroic mythology for people
you would idolize, even when they act in a manner that is blatantly and
obviously unworthy of such admiration.

But such is the nature of "True Believers".

Will Miho
NY Music and TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News / M-AES

hank alrich

WillStG wrote:

A lot of people live their lives with a greater burden - and much
greater courage - than Hunter Thompson's showed by his suicide. In my
book it is a selfish, chicken **** and cowardly way he choose to go
out.

Your book does not yet have in it its own final pages. Talk the talk
when you've walked the walk. How much judgement is a good Christian
supposed to bring to bear on his fellow humans? Have some pages fallen
from your Book?

--
ha
hank alrich

x-no archive: yes

WillStG wrote:

That's not what happened either.

As if you know.

--
ha
Bob Cain

another viewer wrote:

no dear, the cowardly way to go out is terminally ill, plugged up to
every machine imaginable and wasting away time and money when the
inevitable is present.

planning and saying "i love you all, here is why this is happening and
goodbye, the inevitable is going to happen on my terms" takes fortitude
most people can't imagine.

Hear, hear. It was my fathers choice and we respected him
deeply for having the courage to make it. No, we weren't
privy apriori; he wouldn't have burdened us with that
particular foreknowledge.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Bob Cain

hank alrich wrote:
WillStG wrote:

A lot of people live their lives with a greater burden - and much
greater courage - than Hunter Thompson's showed by his suicide. In my
book it is a selfish, chicken **** and cowardly way he choose to go
out.

Your book does not yet have in it its own final pages. Talk the talk
when you've walked the walk.

That would, indeed, be novel for him.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Kurt Albershardt

nmm wrote:

There is a really interesting interview with him from jan 2003 on the
Democracy Now program for Feb 23rd 2003

http://www.democracynow.org/browsebydate.pl?year=2003&month=02 has not entry for February 23rd. Searching brings up just the recent stuff.

Got a pointer?

WillStG

hank alrich wrote:

Your book does not yet have in it its own final pages. Talk the talk
when you've walked the walk. How much judgement is a good Christian
supposed to bring to bear on his fellow humans? Have some pages

fallen
from your Book?

Another strawman. Thompson was not terminally ill by any account
at all, and you have no basis to claim he was other than a need to
romanticize the man's tragic self destruction. He had some pain from
breaking a leg in Hawaii, he had a replacement hip - so what? This is
a "courage" you admire? This was so tremendous a burden he had to kill
himself? ****. Curtis Mayfield made his last record lying flat on his
back. Warreb Zevon kept right on working to the end. **** Hank, you
want your kids to follow this kind of an asshole's example? It is very
common that suicides beget suicides in a lineage.

And I most certainly *have* "walked the walk" of personally
experiencing what a stupid tragic thing the suicide of someone you are
close to is , and no excuse you have given so far for Thompson would
have changed anything in that regard. I have also seen how suicide can
lead to more suicide, and haunt and destroy the living. Or is it that
according to you one may only talk about what a cowardly, stupid thing
a suicide like this is only after *I* am dead? Well that Bob Cain
concurs with _that_ is certainly no surprise.

"True believers" indeed, to make such weak excuses for a man who
lacked the courage to face his inner fears and narcissism - or maybe
just to excuse your own denial over how reprehensible what he did was.

Will Miho
NY Music and TV Audio Guy
Staff A1 /Fox News Channel / M-AES

hank alrich

WillStG wrote:

Another strawman.

But in this case I am apparently addressing a plastic man. Reality is
this: it is non of your ****ing business how Hunter Thompson chose to
live or end his life.

--
ha
Bob Cain

WillStG wrote:
Or is it that
according to you one may only talk about what a cowardly, stupid thing
a suicide like this is only after *I* am dead? Well that Bob Cain
concurs with _that_ is certainly no surprise.

Will you _ever_ stop putting words in other people's mouths?

"True believers" indeed, to make such weak excuses for a man who
lacked the courage to face his inner fears and narcissism - or maybe
just to excuse your own denial over how reprehensible what he did was.

Will you ever be comfortable with choices others make for
themselves rather than those you make for them? If there is
one single thing you are totally consistent about or one
single thread that underlies most all of your opinions, it
is that.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Arny Krueger

"hank alrich" wrote in message

WillStG wrote:

Another strawman.

But in this case I am apparently addressing a plastic man. Reality is
this: it is non of your ****ing business how Hunter Thompson chose to
live or end his life.

Point of order. It became our business when his son released the info to the
press. What remains not our business is judging the man. If you believe in
God, then Christian theology says that God not us will judge. If you don't
believe in an afterlife, then judging is meaningless. Either way, its not
our call.

WillStG

hank alrich wrote:
WillStG wrote:

Another strawman.

But in this case I am apparently addressing a plastic man. Reality is
this: it is non of your ****ing business how Hunter Thompson chose to
live or end his life.

This thread is titled "More respect for Hunter Thompson", and if
you or anyone else here is entitled to kiss Hunter Thompson's dead ass
for blowing his brains out and to glorify his suicide as some kind of
noble moral imperative, well then I am *certainly* entitled to comment
on the fact that your beloved "Emperor" is in fact wearing no clothes
(so to speak), and that you are all in denial of the very ugly fact.

RIP, sure. Glorify what he did, like some here are doing?
_Bull****_ Hank.

Will Miho
NY Music and TV Audio Guy
Staff A1 / Fox News Channel / M-AES

nmm

WillStG wrote:
hank alrich wrote:
WillStG wrote:

Another strawman.

But in this case I am apparently addressing a plastic man. Reality

is
this: it is non of your ****ing business how Hunter Thompson chose

live or end his life.

This thread is titled "More respect for Hunter Thompson", and if
you or anyone else here is entitled to kiss Hunter Thompson's dead

ass
for blowing his brains out and to glorify his suicide as some kind

of
noble moral imperative, well then I am *certainly* entitled to

comment
on the fact that your beloved "Emperor" is in fact wearing no clothes
(so to speak), and that you are all in denial of the very ugly fact.

RIP, sure. Glorify what he did, like some here are doing?
_Bull****_ Hank.

Weren't you the one who was all over anyone who said a bad word against
dead Bonzo? Now Gonzo is gone and you say things like "kiss Hunter
Thompson's dead ass for blowing his brains".

Why don't you just admit it Will, you are just another Male Escort
paid by the Bush administration to make right wing trolls on the net.

nmm

Kurt Albershardt wrote:
nmm wrote:

There is a really interesting interview with him from jan 2003 on

the
Democracy Now program for Feb 23rd 2003

http://www.democracynow.org/browsebydate.pl?year=2003&month=02 has

not entry for February 23rd. Searching brings up just the recent
stuff.

Got a pointer?

http://www.democracynow.org/article....5/02/23/164218

Sorry it was program for Feb 23rd 2005.

I was rolling on the floor when they asked him if he'd ever been to
Iraq.

hank alrich

Arny Krueger wrote:

"hank alrich" wrote
WillStG wrote:

Another strawman.

But in this case I am apparently addressing a plastic man. Reality is
this: it is non of your ****ing business how Hunter Thompson chose to
live or end his life.

Point of order. It became our business when his son released the info to the
press.

I imagine that was done to attempt to reduce idle speculation.

What remains not our business is judging the man. If you believe in
God, then Christian theology says that God not us will judge. If you don't
believe in an afterlife, then judging is meaningless. Either way, its not
our call.

Amen.

--
ha
hank alrich

WillStG wrote:

hank alrich wrote:
WillStG wrote:

Another strawman.

But in this case I am apparently addressing a plastic man. Reality is
this: it is non of your ****ing business how Hunter Thompson chose to
live or end his life.

This thread is titled "More respect for Hunter Thompson", and if
you or anyone else here is entitled to kiss Hunter Thompson's dead ass
for blowing his brains out and to glorify his suicide as some kind of
noble moral imperative, well then I am *certainly* entitled to comment
on the fact that your beloved "Emperor" is in fact wearing no clothes
(so to speak), and that you are all in denial of the very ugly fact.

RIP, sure. Glorify what he did, like some here are doing?
_Bull****_ Hank.

Man, you are unbelieveable in your ability to put words into other's
mouths and think you heard them speak. You area a fake Christian,
standing in judgement of many others, a warmonger hiding in TV land
while others die in the name of yoru own hypocrisy.

My maternal grandfather, in his late 80's, wrote his family a goodbye
note. Said he was going to get to the point of not being able to take
care of himself, and he didn't want anybody to have to take care of him.
His wife had died three years after my mom's birth, of pneumonia, and he
had never remarried. He gave up duck hunting when he couldn't go get his
own birds. Yes, he was a proud man.

He dressed himself in a very nice three-piece suit, sat down in the
bathtub so as not to make a mess, and shot himself through the heart.

My mom would have liked to have been able to take care of him, but she
and everyone else in his large family understood his view.

I have known quite a few people who took their own life, some of them
young and some of them old. I say their life was theirs.

I have said nothing about HTS being any kind of beloved to me, nor
called him an emperor. I have never even read any of his works
completely. I don't know where you get this bull**** unless it just
clings to your cheeks whenever you momentarily take your head out of
your ass. I have said how he ended his own life is none of your own
****ing business, and I stand by that.

Now if you want to keep jacking off go rub your forehead. I figure
you're ****ed because HTS was more famous than you are. Get used to it.

--
ha

WillStG

Bob Cain wrote:
Will you ever be comfortable with choices others make for
themselves rather than those you make for them? If there is
one single thing you are totally consistent about or one
single thread that underlies most all of your opinions, it
is that.

Maybe you think suicide is a wonderful "Choice" Bob, and I will
even cede there may be circumstances where is is not a self centered
and stupidly destructive/self destructive act. But not in this case,
not in this circumstance, and that some here find Thompson's suicide
an example worthy of celebration, even admiration turns my stomuch.

But obviously Bob, you already drank the koolaid.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Staff A1 / Fox News Channel / M-AES

hank alrich

WillStG wrote:

But obviously Bob, you already drank the koolaid.

Many of the folks I've known who took their own life did so because they
couldn't survive psychologically after their experiences in Viet Nam,
and the way we treat them around Agent Orange and such has been so
thoughtful and considerate. Now we see our noble leader wanting to
deprive Desert Storm vets of their rightful settlement. Somebody is
drinking the koolaid, but it ain't Bob Cain. Somebody has declared
themself to be the perfect judge of their fellow humans, but it ain't
Bob Cain.

--
ha
db

the next book...

"Fear and Loathing" in Grandpa's Kitchen.

I don't want to pass judgement on the man, no doubt a good writer. Not
very considerate for his family though if he did commit suicide. May he
rest in peace.

Ricky Hunt

"WillStG" wrote in message
ups.com...

A lot of people live their lives with a greater burden - and much
greater courage - than Hunter Thompson's showed by his suicide. In my
book it is a selfish, chicken **** and cowardly way he choose to go
out.

I have to say in the bigger picture I think it will hurt the issue of right
to die with dignity. But he really didn't have any other (legal) options.

Ricky Hunt

"hank alrich" wrote in message
. ..

Your book does not yet have in it its own final pages. Talk the talk
when you've walked the walk. How much judgement is a good Christian
supposed to bring to bear on his fellow humans? Have some pages fallen
from your Book?

That's going to be the sad reckoning. Though it won't happen to most of them
a horrible exit awaits at least a few of those people who have championed
"right to life" at all costs no matter how much it extends the suffering.
God has a funny way of smacking us in our self-righteous mouths when we've
judged other's choices. He often puts us in that same position. And when he
does, see if your belief (not your faith) about what is the right thing to
do in that situation stays the same.