David F. Cox

"snabbu" wrote in message
Paul Stamler wrote:

I am now wondering something.
Let's say for example your standard vocal recording chain is to go
through EQ filters, De-esser/compressor, limiter. When you are tracking.
All of these steps will cause some distortion. And the gear adds extra
expense. Is it possible to get a similar result. By going through a pre
amp without any effects and then processing the signal as above with
good quality plug ins and dithering. In other words doing it post
digitally, rather than on tracking. I suspect there is a noise to signal
ratio issue here, but is it a big enough deal when you consider in a
home studio, you can then dedicate all the input budget to a microphone
and a pre, rather than a combo unit. Or is there a distinct difference
between tracking and post processing.

Sorry to be asking so many questions.

Cheers

Gary

The theory is that every operation that is done in the analog domain adds
distortion and noise. As you suggest, in theory the ideal is to get the
purest possible raw signal and digitise it. Any possible operation that can
be done in the analog domain can then be done in the digital domain,
provided you can obtain a program to do it. The problem is that it is very
difficult to determine exactly what certain analog processes are doing to a
signal, and to know how to produce exactly the same effect in software.
Since everybodies ear is different, with the current state of the art, it is
down to personal experience and taste.

Until we advance to the stage where it is impossible for anybody to tell
real from recorded, or artificial from real, that is going to be the way it
is. That may be a better day that not everybody welcomes.

David F. Cox

Laurence Payne

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 20:48:09 -0500, "GDN" wrote:

Do NOT mic the instruments. Instruments go to audio-in. Where the computer
studio is concerned, you should only mic the vocals.

Miking a guitar amp is standard practice.

Laurence Payne

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 20:59:21 -0500, "GDN" wrote:

Oya, and as for monitors, you should all use headphones, only. No open-air
monitors.

Well, maybe. The aim is surely the best performance, not complete
separation of instruments and a squeaky-clean recording.

Joe Sensor

Laurence Payne wrote:

Don't forget that the stand-alone recorder is a computer too. Just a
rather limited-function one.

Except it turns on and off quickly. And doesn't crash, and makes a
fraction of the noise, and doesn't require a mouse!
Lynn

The results you are getting are almost certainly due to your lack of
recording experience rather than the tools you are using. A stand-alone
recorder will be at best, equal to the quality of the computer. The cheaper
stand-alone recorders compress the audio automatically to fit it on smaller
hard drives and therefore will not be as good as the WAV files you will
record on the PC.

I'd like to take a listen to one of your attempts to see where the problems
lie. Email me if you want me to try mixing one for you.
-----
Lynn
==============
Listen to my music...
http://www.soundclick.com/wobbly
http://www.soundclick.com/lynn
http://www.soundclick.com/dickosboogieband
http://music.download.com/lynn/3600-...tag=list#songs
http://www.wobblymusic.net

"Ernest Siu" wrote in message
om...
As subject, what is the main difference for a computer and a
stand-alone digital recorder, in terms of quality?

I've been trying to do some track-at-a-time recording for our band
using a computer with audigy platinum and cakewalk/cooledit and the
results are horrid. You'll probably say 'use a 2496 instead of SB'
but I'm only looking to get some demo-like quality, not the diff. of
16vs24 bits or anything to that kind of detail. I've heard results
from Boss BR864 ($400) and it's so much better already. I don't
understand at all... Is my recording skill that bad??? The box is
pretty much mixing up different track just like I do...

Several general 'complains' from my band:

1. Vocal sounds too 'amateur' and 'home-record': like what you hear
speaking over a PA. We've tried with $30 AT stuff and Studio Project
B1. The mixer is sort of a Behringer thing. Can pre-amp be that
sucky?
2. Guitarists say it doesn't sound like what's on the amp. We tried
direct from his amp (some line 6) to the mixer and to the computer,
and also using a dynamic mic to tap the amp directly... still doesn't
sounds like what we hear from the amp.
3. Drums -- this is most difficult. It almost always sounds very
'far away', even though we used mic to tap kick, snare and one for the
cymbals. Tried some low end pair of cigar condensers for cymbals
still doesn't help. Ironically using a shotgun condenser (for
camcorder) from a distance got best results, except for the kick.

I'm wonder if buying any of those stand-alone recorder will 'by-pass'
a lot of errors that we have made so it'll make a better sound
recording than using a computer+mixer for amateur like me? Or is it
just skill that I lack so doesn't matter which way, it's gonna suck???
We don't need great sound, just demo quality so we are very hesitant
to go for studio time.

Ernest

Carlos Alden

I've finally got around to dedicating a corner of my house solely to my
music, and I was wondering how people solve the PC noise problem? I was
thinking of putting the box in the cupboard and running the cables under
the door. Has anyone been successful with noiseless fans, etc.?

--
Michael J. Anthony

I use a laptop with an external Firewire hard drive. Dead quiet in my small
(12x10) recording space. If I had a big PC box I'd put it in the next room
and run the cables through a hole in the wall, and have the monitor and
keyboard and mouse with me.

Carlos

ernest

Thanks for all reply......

Everything goes through the mixer. Tape-out RCA from the mixer is
converted to a 1/4 stereo to the line-in of the Audigy Platinum. The
room is a rec room in basement, with insulation but no dry wall. It's
about 14x16x9 but it's pretty crowded - a set of drums, 4 amps,
pedals/DIs, couple keyboards, mixer and the computer with a pair of
monitor, 2 mics with stands, music stands, gig bags, wires everywhere,
plus a single bed with mattress standing against a wall, and some stuff
like stacks of toilet paper and a vacuum cleaner.

Here is one of our recording. Please bear with the sound:
http://unitedplanet.homeip.net/music...anet_Final.mp3

How important are these effects for post-record mixing (i.e. software
effects)? Compression, normalization, chorus, reverb, amp sim. I
don't want to use them unless necessary because my lack of skill will
probably make it sounds worse! I have cooledit2 and cakewalk
music-creator... Is there any free fx-plug-in available on web? Or
maybe to be purchased somewhere? Also some other questions:

- When does one use 'gain' on the mixer?
- Drums mic-ing - more mic or less mic (for amateur like me)?
- What are some simple way to 'treat' the room accoustic? Hanging egg
boxes on the wall? Where should I place the drum? Currently it's
against one wall facing out.

Cheers,
Ernest

Michael J. Anthony

In article .com,
says...

plus a single bed with mattress standing against a wall, and some stuff
like stacks of toilet paper and a vacuum cleaner.

What make of vacuum cleaner? ;-)

Here is one of our recording. Please bear with the sound:
http://unitedplanet.homeip.net/music...anet_Final.mp3

You've got the frequency response and the levels okay, but presence and
separation are quite lacking. It sounds a lot like you miked the room and
not the individual instruments. Oh and make sure you muted the monitors
while you were recording! Everyone who wants to monitor themselves should
be using headphones.

How important are these effects for post-record mixing (i.e. software
effects)? Compression, normalization, chorus, reverb, amp sim.

You didn't say if you were adding these effects at the mixer stage, but
as a rule, they are extremely important tools and you must learn when and
where to use them - and how much. Generally the vocal should be
compressed, possibly chorused, and then reverbed. I'm told that drums
should be compressed. Your vocalist is fine in most parts but he hits
several bad notes in this take. The most effective solution for that is
to record multiple takes and splice them together.

don't want to use them unless necessary because my lack of skill will
probably make it sounds worse!

Good old trial and error is a perfectly good place to start.

- When does one use 'gain' on the mixer?

Your mixer manual might explain it best, but the purpose of gain is to
allow you to get you the best signal-to-noise ratio without clipping.
Generally the gain should be set as high as possible before clipping
(distortion) occurs at the loudest part of the song. Of course, if your
gain stage is too noisy, high levels of gain might introduce extra
noise/hiss, in which case you should reduce the gain to find a better
balance between signal and noise.

- Drums mic-ing - more mic or less mic (for amateur like me)?

Someone else can give you a formula, but there isn't any better than
trial and error. Naturaly, more mics = more control over the sound.

- What are some simple way to 'treat' the room accoustic? Hanging egg
boxes on the wall? Where should I place the drum? Currently it's
against one wall facing out.

Again, just listen to it though your headphones and try it in different
places. It's your sound. You be the judge.

--
Michael J. Anthony
The Duck Wars, a song of food versus evil, at www.michaeljanthony.com
Paul Stamler

"ernest" wrote in message
oups.com...

- Drums mic-ing - more mic or less mic (for amateur like me)?

Less mic. Two decent-quality condensers in "XY" arrangement (that means
nose-to-nose with the capsules stacked on top of one another and the
microphones angled at 110 degrees, with the left-pointing one connected to
the left channel input and the right-pointing one to the right-channel
input) plus a dynamic mic in the kick drum -- that's a good starting point.
Hang the XY pair over the kit and move it around until you like the balance;
bring in the kick mic as needed.

- What are some simple way to 'treat' the room accoustic? Hanging egg
boxes on the wall?

No. They have approximately the effect of nothing at all. Go to the public
library and check out some of F. Alton Everest's books on designing small
studios. Don't start with the Master Handbook of Acoustics, but one of the
less fancy ones.

Peace,
Paul

Cl.Massé

"snabbu" a écrit dans le message de

As I have been told that the pre and the mic are of equal importance.

The more important is good combination of a mic and a preamp, all that
being largely a matter of taste, of genre, and of voice. The basic
advice is then to try.

--
~~~~ clmasse on free dot F-country
http://jude.iuma.com/

Jerome Ranch

I've been wondering about this as well.
My needs are a bit different as I'd like to use a portable recorder as
a learnign/teaching tool, plus have something this is portable that I
can take to open mics and jams

Take a look at my website to see what I've done with the ZOOM
PS04..for a portable recorder, I'm ecstatic.

I got some Auralex acoustic foam today. I'm going to build myself a
small recording bay in an extra bedroom to see how a mic works in a
better environment

jerry

http://www.jerrysbigworld.com/Experi...4.html#Topic11

Gap Creek Road

On 5 Jan 2005 10:21:54 -0800, (Ernest Siu) wrote:

As subject, what is the main difference for a computer and a
stand-alone digital recorder, in terms of quality?

There isn't much difference in terms of quality if you compare apples to apples.

That is to say both having quality A/D-D/A converters and good editing software.

The difference is versatility and cost.

Personally, I think a PC with "Audition" and "Wavelabs" (or comparable software)
combined with good recording hardware is the best way to go. Versatility is
unmatched with this setup. Good recording hardware will have a PCI card along
with an external, rack mount or tabletop device for all you inputs and outputs.

With the above, you can record your tracks raw, direct to HD and all editing,
mixing, eq, effects will be non-destructive so you never actually alter the
original raw tracks. Everything is done in real-time giving you the ability to
easily make changes or have multiple mixes.

The more powerful the PC, the better. A quality, fast DVD burner is a must!

There will be quite a learning curve no matter which way you go. I have gained a
tremendous respect for good sound engineers over the years.

Expect to pay $1500-$2000 for the PC and recording hardware at a minimum.

Then there is the software, good mics and a quality mixer.

Never try to mix with headphones unless you want your recordings to sound good
only on headphones. Now you may be able to get use to mixing with headphones and
avoid any reference problems, but you really need a good set of near field
monitors. Makes life easier.

I couldn't buy everything all at once in my setup. I had to buy a piece here and
a piece there. Just don't get cheap and go with low priced junk. You'd be better
off taking your time, saving your pennies and purchasing something good.

Good Luck!!

Scott
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
Gap Creek Road
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/gapcreekroadmusic.htm
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/gapcreekroad.htm
http://www.gapcreekroad.com

Upstate Forums Discussion Boards
http://www.upstateforums.com

greggery peccary

"Michael J. Anthony" wrote in message
In article , says...

Except it turns on and off quickly. And doesn't crash, and makes a
fraction of the noise, and doesn't require a mouse!

I've finally got around to dedicating a corner of my house solely to my
music, and I was wondering how people solve the PC noise problem? I was
thinking of putting the box in the cupboard and running the cables under
the door. Has anyone been successful with noiseless fans, etc.?

I've been dealing with this issue for a while. in my last residence, i cut a
hole in the wall and just put the box in the other room. now i don't have
that option. i have two rooms that i can use for monitoring. one room is a
little box, like 10X10 feet almost a cube. the room sounds like crap and i
dont think i want to even try and make it sound better. the other room
sounds great but there's nowhere to put the computer within the unbalanced
distance (for my inputs), the room next to my monitoring area is a very hot
side attic; so i put a glass-door cabinet (open back) in the closet, lined
the inside with carpet pad, and built a wooden door for the front (with
carpet padding on the inside). i put ice packs inside the cabinet with the
computer and hope for the best. there is still some noise from the closet,
but with a baffle between me and the closet (or if i'm recording in there
between the mic and the closet with the mic pointed away from that area) the
resulting noise is apparently below the NF. what a pain! there must be a
better, budget friendly way...
-alan

Richard Crowley

"greggery peccary" .@. wrote in message

[...]

Several of the newer cases/power supplies and CPU heat sinks are
remarkably quiet. I just assembled a new NLE system at the office
with an Antec case/PS and it is almost 20dB quieter than its
predecessor.

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I agree that some of the "silent" PSUs are the way to go, and also
passive CPU heatsinks are coming back in "media center" PCs

I keep eyeing the Antec fanless power supply, but at $175 or so,
(yeah, sure, you can get one for $29 on eBay, sure) I'm waiting for
someone to give me one for a review. But when I needed to get a new
power supply for a studio computer that was always too loud, I got a
nameless $20 supply from Micro Center that was quieter than the
original one that was six years old.

The new cases are indeed more sound-conscious than older ones, and
with the trend toward both smaller disk drives and supersized cases,
it's easy to fit a large, slow-moving fan blowing on a large heat sink
to cool the CPU rather than use a tiny, fast fan attached to a small
heat sink. All of these things increase the cost, however, I expect
that there's upwards of $250 differential between a run-of-the-mill
computer and one that you build with quiet components, more if you
line the case with damping material.

the noise from the hard drive is there.

I go through a lot of drives in my Mackie hard disk recorder and
they're consistently getting quieter. After slowing down the power
supply and CPU fans, noise, while audible, is not really a problem.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )