Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Ben Hoadley

Default the emperor's clothes

I have been listenig to a lot of high end equipment lately and I have
come to the opinion that a lot of it is fundamentally flawed. When I
hear things they sound very nice but they dont sound realistic. What I
mean is often a real instrument or someone singing in a room sounds
kinda boring and hi-fi manufacturers make things sound nicer than they
really are.
For example go and record a single voice with a good mic without
compression,eq at a distance that avoids the proximty effect. then
play it back on your beautiful hifi. It will probably sound good but
it won't sound exacty like you. I think with instruments its even more
obvious. things take on a lush full quality rather than the raw sound
of some guy playing over there.
I know the manufacturers give out all those specs about distortion etc
but I think we all take them with a grain of salt deep down.
Maybe its good that things sound better than real. I'd be interested
to hear other peoples opinions on this. Has anyone heard some
equipment that sounds "boringly real"?