Eclipse CD8443

Old September 12th 03, 05:06 AM
Bill Pallies

Default Eclipse CD8443

I just bought the CD8443 tonight and will probably install it this weekend.
I've got a few questions...

1. There is a module, about the size of a pack of cigarettes, connected to
the rear of the unit. I don't see anywhere in the intruction manual what
this is for. Anyone?

2. There are 4 pairs of RCA connections on the back. Sub, Rear, and Front
plus a "Fixed Out". What's this for? The manual shows it in drawings but
never references it in text.

3. Also, the other 3 pairs are labeled "IN/OUT" implying that they can act
as either pre-outs or inputs. Would these be used to connect some external
sound-processors? Just curious, not gonna ever use these as inputs I'm sure.

I haven't even dropped this unit in yet and I'm already very pleased with
it.

Thanks

-Bill

Old September 12th 03, 05:40 AM
Bill Pallies

One more thing: Thanks, Steve. I guess I just had blinders on when
originally shopping for my HU, never noticing the 8443. I would never have
used the extra features on the 8053 anyway, so you saved me ~$100.

-Bill

.. .

Old September 12th 03, 01:57 PM
pittwm

I have a 8443 installed about 2 weeks ago. FYI, get a timing relay and
delay the amp turn-on about 2 seconds.

There's this turn on thump that many a few of us find with Eclipse 8 V
units. Not a big deal, just thought you might want to know and save you
some time so u don't have to go back and redo the install.
--
pittwm
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=157675

Old September 13th 03, 06:01 AM
Steve Grauman

<< One more thing: Thanks, Steve. I guess I just had blinders on when
originally shopping for my HU, never noticing the 8443. >>

Not a problem, I never noticed it either. But I listened to it, aganist the
8053 (complete with the Balanced Line Adapter for thr 16V output) and couldn't
hear a difference. The "nob" remote wasn't worth $100 to me!
Old September 13th 03, 06:02 AM
Steve Grauman

<< There's this turn on thump that many a few of us find with Eclipse 8 V
units >>

I'm not getting it with my 8443.
Old September 13th 03, 06:05 AM
Steve Grauman

<< 1. There is a module, about the size of a pack of cigarettes, connected to
the rear of the unit. I don't see anywhere in the intruction manual what
this is for. Anyone? >>

I believe this has something to do with the Eclipse Commander Unit, but I'm not
positive.

<< Also, the other 3 pairs are labeled "IN/OUT" implying that they can act
as either pre-outs or inputs. Would these be used to connect some external
sound-processors? Just curious, not gonna ever use these as inputs I'm sure. >>

Again, I have to imagine this is related to the Commander and/or Eclipse's DSP
processor. I also know that Eclipse's in-dash 6 CD changer uses a digital
connection (letting the deck's DAC do the conversion work), and the single-line
digital connection it uses may require some kind of 2-way communication.
Old September 14th 03, 01:18 AM
Bill Pallies

Yup, I got it. Installed the unit last night. First I had the trouble of the
radio being heard, but complete silence when I tried to play CDs (Quiz:
Which wires did I reverse?) :-) Funny thing, though. I didn't get the turn
on thump when I had the amps connected to the power antenna lead. Hmm...

Off to get a delay relay...

-Bill

s.com...

Old September 14th 03, 05:30 PM
Ryan Richards \(Diesel Breath\)

> 2. There are 4 pairs of RCA connections on the back. Sub, Rear, and Front
> plus a "Fixed Out". What's this for? The manual shows it in drawings but
> never references it in text.

They are "deadouts"... they are line level signal outs that would go to an
external amplifier if you had one... Make sure you dont have one before
installing the unit...

Later,
Ryan (www.dieselbreath.com)

Old September 15th 03, 01:32 AM
Bill Pallies

I don't understand. I have two external amps as it is, a 4-channel for the
speakers and a 2-channel for the sub. That uses all three preouts (Sub,
Rear, and Front). This still leaves the Line Out. I suppose it's just a
full-range, non-crossed-over, non fading output, but it suprises me that
this isn't referenced in the manual nor is it touted in the sales
liturature.

-Bill

Old September 15th 03, 02:28 AM
KaeZoo

I'm not familiar with it, but my guess is that it's an output that's not
affected by the head unit's volume control.

"Bill Pallies" > wrote in message
m...
> I don't understand. I have two external amps as it is, a 4-channel for the
> speakers and a 2-channel for the sub. That uses all three preouts (Sub,
> Rear, and Front). This still leaves the Line Out. I suppose it's just a
> full-range, non-crossed-over, non fading output, but it suprises me that
> this isn't referenced in the manual nor is it touted in the sales
> liturature.
>
> -Bill
>

> "Ryan Richards (Diesel Breath)" > wrote in message
> > > 2. There are 4 pairs of RCA connections on the back. Sub, Rear, and

> Front
> > > plus a "Fixed Out". What's this for? The manual shows it in drawings

but
> > > never references it in text.

> > They are "deadouts"... they are line level signal outs that would go to

an
> > external amplifier if you had one... Make sure you dont have one before
> > installing the unit...
> >
> > Later,
> > Ryan (www.dieselbreath.com)

Blaupunkt SF vs. Eclipse CD8053 Bill Pallies Car Audio 10 September 3rd 03 07:45 PM
I need help with the Eclipse Commander. Profe§a Car Audio 2 August 28th 03 11:09 PM
Power wire gauge for Eclipse PA4212? Lex Car Audio 0 August 21st 03 05:57 AM
FS: Eclipse 5303 Gellert17 Car Audio 0 July 29th 03 01:03 AM
Eclipse and Satalight radio Sam Carleton Car Audio 1 July 11th 03 06:15 AM