Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer Engineer is offline

Location: Thornhill, Ontario
Default Scrap caps to go!

Hi, Vacuumlanders,
We changed our central AC unit recently and I salvaged a number of
motor starter capacitors from the old unit. There was a couple of
paper caps in metal cans - very useful, one already deployed as a cap.
input reservoir in a B+ P/S, but also four large, non-polarised AC-
service electrolytics. I cannot for the life of me find a use for
these!

They are marked as follows:

1991963
ETW 10572
21-25 MFD
250 VAC
60 CYCLES
6710

They are each in a thick, black plastic case, about 1 1/4 inches dia.
and 3 1/2 inches long and have spade terminals.
They test good, both as to capacity, the right current at 120 VAC, and
have low leakage.

I figure they're of no use for tube P/S's as one half would be is
wasted, and the ESR (which I cannot measure without a lab
experiment... no meter) may be too high. The cap value is too high for
most speaker crossovers (being about 865 Hz for -3 dB at 8 ohms)

So, any ideas? I hate to just throw them out!

BTW, if anyone wants them they can have them for the price of the
postage (or for free if Toronto, Canada, pick-up) - email me.
Cheers.
Roger

PS caps mike Vacuum Tubes 6 December 5th 04 07:00 PM
FA: 2 RelCap 5uF/200VDC 10% caps and 4.7nF polyester bypass caps [email protected] Marketplace 0 March 23rd 04 03:37 AM
Which caps to use? R. Foote Pro Audio 42 March 13th 04 08:05 PM
Poly caps or electrolytic caps? Which sound better? (in a guitar tube amp) Antti Vacuum Tubes 25 October 24th 03 11:49 AM