Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Trafo for PPP

west wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

Blazej Czeladzki wrote:

Hello,

I have question about output trafos for parallel push pull amps.

Are there any special differences between those trafos and standard push
pull trafos?

There are no differences in operating principles.

However, where number of tubes in the output are increased,
the core size and wire sizes increase, and the number of turns
per volt decreases to suit the reduced primary load value,
while keeping the winding losses and core distortion low.

If you have transformer type X meant for 2 x EL34,
and you wish to use 4 x EL34, then get exactly twice the power
then transformer X cannot provide it using the same turn ratio.

OPT design can only successfully achieved by following all the necessary
design steps.
There are 47 steps listed out for you with examples at
http://www.turneraudio.com.au/output-trans-pp-calc.html

This page is sure to bamboozle most ppl, but
I don't give simple answers to uneducated minds.

However, should you wish to use 4 x EL84 instead of 2 x EL34, then
the same OPT might be able to be used, depending on
the operating voltages and winding resistances.
This is because two EL84 can each have say 30mA of idle current
and this can equal the 60mA in one EL34, and the load of
5k for the two EL34 will suit the quad of EL84.
But EL84 will not be able to be run at say +600V B+ in UL or triode
mode,
and about 350V is the safe limit.
So always there a lots of things to consider as soon as a the tube line
up is
changed.

Patrick Turner.

When going from 2 to 4 EL-34s, is it possible to parallel 2 "X" OPTs (X||X)?
If yes, how does the X||X sound compare to a 4 tube Y OPT?

Sensible ppl wouldn't parallel OPTs,
and there is no way to agree on sound quality differences.

Patrick Turner.

west

____________
Pozdrawiam:
BCZ

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west[_4_] west[_4_] is offline

west wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

"Blazej Czeladzki (ByCZy)" wrote:

Patrick Turner wklepal(a) i opublikowal(a)

co
nastepuje:
Anywhere between 25% and 50% is OK, and better than no UL tap at

all.
Are you winding your own OPT?
I'm gona order it, but the construction is rather not typical. So I

want
have as much info about it as possible.

And you still won't know what you are getting, unless you get a

Hammond,
who show something at their website about what you get.

Unless the person you are ordering the OPT from provides you with ALL
the winding interleaving details, insulation thicknesses, turn

numbers,
wire type, core size,
core type, and guranteed performance with a known source resistance,
and varnishing technique, high voltage tests, don't buy the darn

thing.

To get a special OPT, YOU have to know all about OPT and
specify what YOU want, and not let THEM sell you something
that does not comply with your expectations.

THEY must be able to proove to you they are able and willing to wind
what you want.
Some things they say about your design may not matter, and if you want
teflon insulation,
they may not want to provide it.
A good design doesn't need teflon, and is in fact better without it
because
its unlikely the varnish will stick to it properly. Polyester

insulation
is fine.
Some winders try to avoid vanishing, or even waxing, but these must be
done
properly.

This usually all far too much trouble for tranny winders who are
rarely ever very brainy people, and who spend most of the time winding
generic mains crap to make a living.

None of my advice is comfortable for anyone to accept.

However, because I found the tranny winding industry
is dominated by idiots and lazy ****wits i built
a lathe and learnt all about OPT and I wind them when i want them to
the kind of design details that makes most "professionals" have a
heart attack when they see what i expect.
None have ever heard of the design ideas at my website.

You may be able to buy something from Sowter, one of their stock lines
perhaps.

You will pay extra for the special work.

Patrick Turner.

I don't think many people on this NG can argue with you about the merits

of
a quality transformer. However, respectfully, are you not being a bit
impractical? How many xfr.companies can you order the aforementioned
specific construction techniques from? Can we (hobbyists) not rely on
companies like Sowter and Lundahl to met those lofty qualities with

their
stock transformers?

There are a couple of lesser companies here who I could try, but never
ever would because they can't/won't perform the wonders I expect.

There are not a huge number of winders who can do really detailed work
when you want it and for a competitive price.
So for specials, the person ordering must specify the special properly
and be an expert in design, and the person winding must be capable.

Obviously just going to Sowter or Lundahl etc is a whole lot easier for
a hobbyist.

Both these companies are more expensive than Hammond who probably
doesn't have such
splendid quality in terms of wasteless winding arrangements and low
leakage inductance.

People could do a lot worse than try my OPT No1 design at my web pages.
The full details of a splendid OPT are at
http://www.turneraudio.com.au/output-trans-pp-calc.html
Its a design that suits many tube types but which would cause
heart problems for many winders.

Patrick Turner.

If you remember about a year ago, I asked you to build me a couple of OPTs.
You refused saying that you were too busy. Are you now back in the winding
business?

west

west

--
_____________
Pozdrawiam:

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west[_4_] west[_4_] is offline

Blazej Czeladzki wrote:

[...]

That answer leaves me hanging. Can't you expand on your "sensible people"
answer? How about temporary hookup for test purposes? What will happen? I
thought it would work but wasn't sure of the outcome and didn't want to blow
anything up.

west

____________
Pozdrawiam:
BCZ

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

People could do a lot worse than try my OPT No1 design at my web pages.
The full details of a splendid OPT are at
http://www.turneraudio.com.au/output-trans-pp-calc.html
Its a design that suits many tube types but which would cause
heart problems for many winders.

Patrick Turner.

If you remember about a year ago, I asked you to build me a couple of OPTs.
You refused saying that you were too busy. Are you now back in the winding
business?

I have NEVER set out to be in the TRANSFORMER WINDING BUSINESS.

You have obviously not read my website.

I utilise my skills at building complete amps or repairs or major/minor
upgrades
to existing gear of many types, and I am always much too busy to
spend 30 hours winding a couple of OPT No1 for anyone because always
they expect me to work for almost nothing.
I would have to charge at least aud $50 pr hour, making the job worth
aud $1,500,
and barely equal to what a plumber would charge to fix a damaged water
pipe.
On top of that there is material and shipping costs.
Even when I offered the same thing in less busy times for 12dB lower
price,
nobody wanted anything because it appears everyone couldn't put their
wallet where their mouth is.

There is zero profit in dealing with hobbyists.

They cost their employers $70 to employ with all the oncosts to their
wage,
but the hobbyist wants me to work for very much less than they actually
receive in their hand after tax ands oncosts.
This is showing real total disrespect for my trade. One just doesn't
hire a plumber
by offering him $10 per hour.
Nobody from China who has spammed me wants to consult me while winding
my design either.
They really love making crap in China!!!

For those wanting to design and wind their own, I have done a website
full of info
and as long as you obey about 50 logical steps to the exact method,
you'll get a nice OPT.

Go to guys who have set up to wind OPT such as Sowter, Lundahll etc.

They are far cheaper than i could ever be.

But you just like asking endless questions, and have no intention of
actually
doing anything, isn't that right?

Patrick Turner.

west

west

--
_____________
Pozdrawiam:

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

When going from 2 to 4 EL-34s, is it possible to parallel 2 "X" OPTs

(X||X)?
If yes, how does the X||X sound compare to a 4 tube Y OPT?

Sensible ppl wouldn't parallel OPTs,
and there is no way to agree on sound quality differences.

Patrick Turner.

west

That answer leaves me hanging. Can't you expand on your "sensible people"
answer? How about temporary hookup for test purposes? What will happen? I
thought it would work but wasn't sure of the outcome and didn't want to blow
anything up.

Sorry to leave you hanging. I'm normally faster as cutting down a corpse
from the tree before finding an old well to sink it.

I have NEVER had a reason to ever parallel OPTs

Providing two trannies were identical, you would get about
equal power being handled by each.

Its BS, be a man and buy the right tranny for the right arrangement of
tubes.

Sowter have heaps, so see their range.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

If you remember about a year ago, I asked you to build me a couple of OPTs.
You refused saying that you were too busy. Are you now back in the winding
business?

west

Patrick,

I'll wager that the chances of West buying anything from you are about the
same as Andre designing something decent with freebie output trannies he got
from Lundahl, and then publishing an article about it . . . . .

;-)

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west[_4_] west[_4_] is offline

No one twists your arm to answer questions. I will not ask you anymore
questions. I think I understand this kink in your personality. The problem
is that it encourages more sarcasm from my fan club, Wieck & yeagar.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west[_4_] west[_4_] is offline

[...]

Thanks Dad. You've given me the courage to go for the Gusto!

west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

west wrote:

No one twists your arm to answer questions. I will not ask you anymore
questions. I think I understand this kink in your personality. The problem
is that it encourages more sarcasm from my fan club, Wieck & yeagar.

There isn't any "kink" in my personality.

I get questions all the time, and I answer them, so where is the kink?

Why would you ask for something you really didn't want in a public
forum?

People reading my website understand exactly where I am trying to focus,
and it obviously
IS NOT to be competition for other manufacturers who have mostly done
all the hard yards
to set up a functioning transformer winding factory,
and got their workforce to work for nearly nothing and
to take almost no time at all to wind a tranny, repeatedly, all day,
every week of the year.

My focus is on the design and practical theory aspects of tubecraft.

It always makes me smile to see all these other makers winding worse
performing items
than the ones I make for installation into amps I sell.
I don't mind being ignored completely by nearly everyone. I'm used to
it.
I'd be happy if some of them made a few designs I have specified.
Then and only then would I ever buy from them, and be able to recommend
them
openly.
Even Sowter keeps it all secret about what actually is on the core of
their trannies.

I would never ever be so foolish to attempt to earn wages by supplying
OPT and PT and chokes to hobbyists
because AAAALLLLL of them hate spending money even though someobody pays
them good wages.
I have helped the misers enormously by providing all the information
they need to do it ALL themselves,
including about winding their own OPT.

Any REALLY KEEN hobbyist will ONLY design and wind his own iron cored
items in his amps.
This sets him apart from the rest.

I don't feel bad about saying this. I made very low wages last year
becaue everyone wanted me to fix their
sick pets for $5 per hour. They'll pay a plumber $50 per hour, and they
hate that,
but many won't spend any money on what they love, their audio system.

If you don't like the sarcasm, watch out what questions you ask.

Patrick Turner.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west[_4_] west[_4_] is offline

west wrote:

[...]

How could I know that by asking if you are now winding xfrs per order (you
led me to believe that you now do with your other posts critical of other
winders) would upset you? All you had to do is say no. Also, I don't
understand this no intention of doing. What's with dat? I have done plenty
and the Genesis of many projects came from gleaning your posts and site.
Honestly, I never ask a question just for the sake of asking. I don't even
know why anyone would do that. Questions help me decide whether to embark on
a new endeavor. Another point, I always am willing to pay for quality. I am
not filthy rich but I am comfortable. I always am amazed at your self-taught
knowledge (even though it's hard to believe that you didn't have any formal
training in electronics) but think that you and perhaps Yaeger (sorry for
the perhaps uncomfortable juxtaposition) may not have the personality nor
the know-how of salesmanship (products, services & self).
Finally Professor Turner, please stop yelling at me. You know how sensitive
and upset I get when you do that.
Next time, simply say what you usually say to a Sheila ... NO!

Cordially,
west

Cordially,
west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west[_4_] west[_4_] is offline

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message

If you remember about a year ago, I asked you to build me a couple of

OPTs.
You refused saying that you were too busy. Are you now back in the

winding
business?

west

Patrick,

I'll wager that the chances of West buying anything from you are about the
same as Andre designing something decent with freebie output trannies he

got
from Lundahl, and then publishing an article about it . . . . .

I emailed AJ telling him the natives were getting restless again, to wit
(Weick & You). So that's why I believe he came back to restore some order.
Better watch watch it now, Buddy!

unsigned out of utter contempt

;-)

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[...]

Pest.

Neither Patrick nor I suffer fools like you gladly.

If you really DO put stuff together or design gear then why don't you post
some of it? I think you're more like an adult with ADD - you can't keep
your attention on any one thing for more than 5 minutes.

Sales? What do you know? I was the top salesman for E-Tech, a mfgr. of
HVAC gear in the mid 80's until I started my own company. I traveled
world-wide and closed their largest order. I sold my $ 3.5 MM computer
sales and service company in 1999. We had 6,000 clients, including many of
the U.S. top 20 corporations as customers.

Get busy and build something.

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

from Lundahl, and then publishing an article about it . . . . .

I emailed AJ telling him the natives were getting restless again, to wit
(Weick & You). So that's why I believe he came back to restore some order.
Better watch watch it now, Buddy!

unsigned out of utter contempt

;-)

Thanks, Pest.

Hope you get a good case of the crabs or lose your car keys for that one.

Unsigned out of utter contempt? How do you spell S.Y.C.O.P.H.A.N.T? Never
mind . . . "tool" will do just fine.

Your friend,

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

west wrote:

[...]

If I SHOUT, its because i make things loud and clear, and give emphasis.

Nothing is meant to be malicious, only informative, and no, I ain't
always tactful all the time, and yes, a few dumbass women did get upset
when I called a spade a spade,
and of course I ended up having to say no to them because they had no
clear idea about what they wanted and why, and didn't have a clue why
they'd
gotten involved with any man, and sure were never to condescend to try
to understand me or donate a sunday morning BJ.

I usually say YES to a sheila, but they had to be worth the effort time
and cost
of having them around, and most seem to have regarded me as some kind of
hero
who could save them from the world and spend heaps of money on them but
they all
ended up hating me for just being a natural man and having a point of
view with lots of reasons,
and not being able to enjoy travel, shopping, and not being as cool as
can be including
being wise and a high wager earner with status at age 25.
Usually it took a year for love to turn to hate.

As shielas in Oz age, they get worse and worse, and lose their looks and
charm
and not even sex is any good anymore, yet they think its worth something
to be with them.
I have artfully avoided the ruinous entanglements I have witnessed in
nearly
all my friends of 60 who have gone through a divorce.

Long live divorce!!!!

Sex and love appear to me now at 60 to be forms of entrapment
where an old horse is to be put to the plough.
I told a woman last year, with regret, and after an enormous
communication effort
that frankly, I'd rather go for a ride on my pushbike for 4 hours than
take a ride on her. At least I'd be getting somewhere, I said.

I believe in men's afirmation and empowerement, and so don't any of you
allow a shiela to have you
under her thumb and mentally castrated.

I also believe in women being liberated, and having rights,
and that both sexes have equal duties of care to each other.

Unfortunately, such an ideal world where the sexes trade favours and woo
each other
is quite untenable in most women's minds, and a man exists for
direct benefit to women in terms of being a slave and provider of funds.

Not for me though.

Because this is a discussion group, and it is only right that ALL
my communications be transparent and honest, I often lurch off sideways
from a simple yes or no and give a whole lot of other reasons and
salient
factoids, which allows ppl to focus on what it might be like to try to
earn a crust from being an audio
technician.

It ain't easy.

And I might be a bit touchy after spending the last 10 years earning
peanuts,
and with not one person offering and ensuring they pay me as well as
they would a mechanic or plumber.
I ain't alone though, most "professional artisans" are povety striken,
and most artists
have a second job; ppl love us, but they won't pay us.

If my knees hadn't crumbled from building work in
1992, I would have stayed being a builder, and never would have switched
to a sit-on-your-bum-trade
like electronics.

Patrick Turner.

Cordially,
west

Cordially,
west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Jon Yaeger wrote:

from Lundahl, and then publishing an article about it . . . . .

I emailed AJ telling him the natives were getting restless again, to wit
(Weick & You). So that's why I believe he came back to restore some order.
Better watch watch it now, Buddy!

unsigned out of utter contempt

;-)

Thanks, Pest.

Hope you get a good case of the crabs or lose your car keys for that one.

Unsigned out of utter contempt? How do you spell S.Y.C.O.P.H.A.N.T? Never
mind . . . "tool" will do just fine.

Your friend,

Jon

Look Jon, West is really quite harmless. Lets not be too hard.

He'll settle down soon.

Patrick Turner.