Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west[_3_] west[_3_] is offline

Default Sander deWaal & 300B Project

First of all Sander, thanks for the advice re hecklers.
You can not casually mention that you are working on a 300B/PP project and
not share your plan. Of course if you want to keep it a secret, that's your
business. I would love to take on a project like that because from what I
understand a 300B is the best sounding tube there is, at least, I heard that
the Japanese think so.
I think that you can push the tube to 10 watts but it sounds best at half
that amount. That's low so a PP would be nice compromise. However, will you
not have unacceptable distortion with PP? Are you not better off with a
Parallel configuration? Forgive my ignorance if I'm off base.
Which tube will you use for the input stage and will you be using an
interstage transformer?
When I found out that Svetlana no longer makes the 300b, I was disappointed.
Have you seen the WE300b prices? That, coupled with the cost of high quality
transformers (interstage & OPT), made me take a second thought to the idea
for now. I wonder if the WE is worth it. Can the sound to cost ratio be that
much higher?
I hope that I didn't cause you any embarrassment, but would appreciate your
thoughts and of course, hopefully, thoughts from many others regarding
planning for the aforementioned project. and previous experiences. Thanks in
advance.

Cordially,
west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

west wrote:

When I found out that Svetlana no longer makes the 300b, I was disappointed.
Have you seen the WE300b prices? That, coupled with the cost of high quality
transformers (interstage & OPT), made me take a second thought to the idea
for now. I wonder if the WE is worth it. Can the sound to cost ratio be that
much higher?

How do you think that the accident of who manufactured a given tube affects the
sound ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
maxhifi maxhifi is offline

cool link, thanks for that

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
ups.com...

I think that you can push the tube to 10 watts but it sounds best at
half
that amount. That's low so a PP would be nice compromise. However, will
you
not have unacceptable distortion with PP?

So amps with pudh-pull have higher or lower distortion than single
ended? Why? YOU ahould be able to tell us. Please do.

http://www.thermionic.info/usgov/tm-11-670.pdf