Marty Troum

Default Analog recommendations?

I want to upgrade the analog portion of my music system from an old
Technics, direct-drive turntable (Grado cartridge) and Audio Alchemy
phono preamp. I am considering a Rega P3 turntable and Creek preamp.

Are there any other roads to upgrading (i.e. other turntables and
preamps) keeping the costs reasonable while offering better quality
than my current system?

What type of cartridge should I use (moving coil or moving magnet)?
What make cartridges would you recommend?

Finally, I am in the South Florida area and would appreciate any
recommendations for dealers and/or internet vendors.

Please respond to my email address also. Thanks for your help.

Marty Troum

Uptown Audio

The Rega P3 is certainly the top performer at its price and then some.
I have collected Lps for many years and have access to a lot of
different turntables. I use a P3 myself.
I would keep the AA phono stage or buy a nicer unit. The one you
mentioned is outperformed by the AA. You will not realize its
potential until you get a better table. The Grado cartridge may be a
nice fit for the P3, depending on which model Grado it is (they make a
bunch). The Rega Elys is a great cartridge and works very well with
the P3. I had a Super Elys on mine and just put on a Dynavector moving
coil model. DV makes a couple of high output mc cartridges that you
could use with the AA in its mm stage, however you might find the AA
VIB to work well enough for a while in its mc mode.
Rega products are not sold via mail/internet. If you were to contact
me directly or the Rega importer, we would be happy to refer you to
your local Rega dealer.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Marty Troum" wrote in message
I want to upgrade the analog portion of my music system from an old
Technics, direct-drive turntable (Grado cartridge) and Audio Alchemy
phono preamp. I am considering a Rega P3 turntable and Creek

preamp.

Are there any other roads to upgrading (i.e. other turntables and
preamps) keeping the costs reasonable while offering better quality
than my current system?

What type of cartridge should I use (moving coil or moving magnet)?
What make cartridges would you recommend?

Finally, I am in the South Florida area and would appreciate any
recommendations for dealers and/or internet vendors.

Please respond to my email address also. Thanks for your help.

Marty Troum

Jim Mauro

Dumb question - is the Rega P3 and more recent version of
the Planar 3?

I have a Planar 3 with a Super Elys cartridge, and I'm very
happy with it (picked it up used several years ago).
There's no shortage of "tweaks" available,
and I'm considering doing a wire upgrade on the arm (RB300,
DIY link at http://www.hi-fi.com/diy/rega/)

Thanks,
/jim

[...]

Uptown Audio

The P3 is the latest version of the Planar 3. It has a motor which is
directly coupled to the new, lighter plinth rather than slung with
bands to the old laminated plinth. You can buy a Rega motor upgrade
kit which should provide a higher level of performance gain than a
wire swap.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Jim Mauro" wrote in message
[...]

Analog recommendations? Marty Troum Audio Opinions 0 August 26th 04 11:41 AM
MOTU 24 IO on PC ? m-z Pro Audio 15 April 10th 04 07:04 PM
Sony Digital Amps (and SACD) vs. Sony Analog Amps banspeakerports High End Audio 0 February 8th 04 06:18 PM
How can analog quality possibly be better than digital? Radium Tech 70 November 20th 03 12:12 AM
fostex D2424LV simultaneous digital and analog recording ispossible michael cleary Pro Audio 1 October 15th 03 02:50 AM