Carl Valle

Default Record Revival

I first want to thank many posters to this group who have one way or another
helped me on my path toward a gigantic project. I was going to try to put my
Lp collection on CDR and asked a lot of people on here various questions.
To Mr. Kreuger: I asked some questions about methodologies of recording on
computer. He answered those questions. In particular, when I asked about
using a ADC to run to a extigy card, his advice was try it. I did that now
and it does seem to work better than an internal card hooked up with analog
inputs. He didn't answer my question about how the soundcards work, and I
was disappointed to find the extigy does a analog mix even with digital
inputs. Well live and learn.
Mr Atkinson made some very helpful remarks in regards to turntables and I
have now what I consider to be a high quality analog front end. Thanks John.
Mr. Richmann makes a lot of comments I agree with, and he did get me out to
listen to speakers again. That may be my next upgrade after I get the
wrinkles out of the electronics.
Thanks also go out to Sander deWaal, more or less indirectly. I have
purchased and restored a Scott 299 amp although it isn't in the system yet
because i want to get new tubes for it.
Mr Ferstler, thanks for getting me thinking on speaker placement again. I
was way to far into this 5.1 stuff.
In pursuit of the miracle front end I have come up with a working solution.
I now use a KLH TNE 7000 noise filter, followed by a Burwen Research 1201A
DNF noise filter. This works so well that even some of my goodwill records
are eminately enjoyable. And my played once or twice collection, well, it
sounds incredible. I found that if you use both of these filters, it is even
more effective than Sound Forge NR2. The reason is that these devices are
dynamic and adjust parameters based on the input. Sound Forge works by
analyzing a noise pattern and applying the parameters in fixed form. There
really is no comparison.
That is one reason why I have decided not to record my LP's onto CD. The
other reason is that the recording onto computer obviously needs to be done
in real time. Then there is editing time, and then burning time. With over
3000 Lp's to look at I have come to the conclusion that it would take 6 to 8
thousand hours to make these discs. 4 man years. Plus I would have to store,
index and label all those CD's. Not going to happen at my age!
At times I have slipped into less than polite behavior on this newsgroup,
but that seems to be the etiquette anyway. I really want to say that I do
appreciate the opinions on here most of the time. Everybody has their own
style and hang ups, no big deal really.
It really does feel good to be over that CD recording idea, now I can
concentrate on collecting and enjoying what I have so far.

Respectfully
Carl

MP3 players that record MS General 18 December 5th 03 05:44 PM
U.S. Record Stores Get No Satisfaction from Stones Rob Adelman Pro Audio 47 October 9th 03 02:48 PM
Where are those Wascally Weapons of Mass Destwuction??? Jacob Kramer Audio Opinions 1094 September 9th 03 02:20 AM
delta 44 low record level Matias Woloski Pro Audio 8 July 10th 03 12:57 AM