A Audio and hi-fi forum. AudioBanter

Go Back   Home » AudioBanter forum » rec.audio » Pro Audio
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Best digital music recording program



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #341  
Old June 30th 16, 09:36 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,757
Default Best digital music recording program

On 30/06/2016 1:57 PM, geoff wrote:
> On 30/06/2016 1:52 p.m., Trevor wrote:
>> On 30/06/2016 2:29 AM, Nil wrote:
>>> On 29 Jun 2016, Tom Evans > wrote in
>>> rec.audio.pro:
>>>
>>>> I'm interested in multi-track, MIDI recording including voice.
>>>
>>> You can't record voice or any other acoustic instrument with MIDI.

>>
>> But you can record audio *and* MIDI simultaneously with many DAW
>> programs, and have been able to do so for well over 2 decades.
>>

>
>
> And some stand-alone applications and VSTi/DXi may even allow one to
> record voice (etc), manipulate it, and play it back, appropriated
> pitched, with MIDI or other means.


Sure, and you can even get voice trackers to create midi messages from
vocal input, or other digital audio, which can control MIDI instruments.

Trevor.


Ads
  #342  
Old July 2nd 16, 12:38 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom Evans
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 88
Default Best digital music recording program

On 2016-06-29 15:50:41 +0000, Mike Rivers said:

> On 6/29/2016 10:01 AM, Tom Evans wrote:
>> Digital sudio recording makes learning to read music optional. And even
>> many successful musicians playing real instruments don't know how to
>> read music.

>
> Reading music doesn't have anything to do with it. People played music
> before there was a way to write it. I don't read music well enough to
> play what I read, yet I'm still able to record my music.
>
> What you're talking about is composition, really. The soft synth allows
> you to, in essence, create a computer program that plays music using
> pre-recorded sounds. If you play a keyboard, for instance, by ear, you
> can use that to generate the program that tells the computer what notes
> to play and when.
>
>> I'm interested in multi-track, MIDI recording including voice. That does
>> entail having the songs played back for me automatcially, in order to
>> review the songs for editing. There's also nothing wrong with that.

>
> The term "edit" tends to get misused in this context. It's true that
> much of the recorded music is edited, which involves cutting out parts,
> replacing them with other parts or just leaving them out, adding new
> parts, putting things in a different order, and such. To some, "edit"
> is what they call the process of constructing a finished song from a
> group of synchronized recordings. Those recordings could be tracks
> generated from MIDI data and played through a soft synth, or recorded
> with a microphone, which is how you would record your voice.
>
> Most digital audio workstations (DAW) these days put the whole shebang
> together. That's why they're called "workstations." Given the
> appropriate interface to your computer, you can record audio, you can
> record MIDI data, you can choose the sounds that the MIDI data plays
> (soft synth), you can edit the whole song or individual tracks, you can
> add one track at a time to build up the song, you can remove or replace
> parts that didn't come out the way you wanted.
>
> Most DAWs throw in some sort of soft synth capability to give you
> something to get started with. If you don't like the sounds that you're
> offered, you can add others.
>
> If you already have a DAW program that you're happy with and you're
> just looking for some different sound libraries, that's one thing, and
> it might be what you're asking about.
> If you're just auditioning soft synth sounds before you get started
> with a full DAW package (which it sounds like what you really need),
> you might start from the other end. Find a DAW you like, and then look
> for sounds that fit with your music.
>
> Your can try Reaper for free, and it's pretty cheap. Studio One (from
> PreSonus)has a capable free version, as does Tracktion.


Thanks.

Instead of DAW-hopping to Reaper, Studio One or Tracktion, I think I'll
stay with Garageband, which I already know, and add more libraries to
it.

I just discovered the East West Composer Cloud monthly license option.
That would solve my problem of having to hunt down, download, install,
test and learn the hundrieds of piecmeal plug-ins, programs,
modulators, bells and whistles, etcetera, from scores of different
compaines, which would only give me hodge-podge of stuff, only a
fraction of which would be useful to me. Composer Cloud is also high
end, while much of the free and cheap instruments available on the Web
are not good quality.

I'm also considering buying the East West Spaces Convolution Reverb
plug-in, but I don't know if that's a good idea, because I can add
reverb anyway in Garageband or whatever library I add to Garageband.

Tom Evans

  #343  
Old April 15th 19, 12:25 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Best digital music recording program

On Friday, December 5, 2014 at 10:47:39 PM UTC-8, Tom Evans wrote:
> What's the best digital music recording program that comes with many
> terrific instrument sounds?
>
> I'm thinking of buying Logic Pro 10, as I'm a Mac user and I'm using
> Garageband and a controller to record songs on the Mac, but I'm finding
> Garageband's instrument sounds are too limited.
>
> The price of Logic seems to be good ($200) but I wonder if there's a
> program that easeir to learn and use; Logic seems to be complicated.


I was actually going to suggest Logic, as songwriters seem to really love it because of its many instrument sounds and general ease of use. While a lot of DAWs come with instruments, Logic seems to really embrace that right out of the gate.

Full disclosure, though...although I have seen Logic in action many times, I've never actually used it, usually sticking with the old dinosaur that is Pro Tools, which also has a number of instruments (analog-style synth, drum machine, organ, piano).

Ken
  #344  
Old April 15th 19, 02:14 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 604
Default Best digital music recording program

Try N Track studio

https://ntrack.com/digital-audio-workstation.php

I like the spectrum analyzer and EQ tools.

m

  #345  
Old April 27th 19, 03:58 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,362
Default Best digital music recording program

wrote:
> Try N Track studio
>
>
https://ntrack.com/digital-audio-workstation.php
>
> I like the spectrum analyzer and EQ tools.
>
> m
>


I rather love n-track unconditionally but about seven years ago, I
split my forces and went with Reaper.

n-Track 3.x would generate MTC to where my old VF16 would chase it.

4.x, 5x and onward just wouldn't. I viewed that as an estimate
of the determinism of the versions. Now we had no right to
expect determinism of a Windows software package at all.

SFAIK, Reaper never did drive the VF16. The VF16 died
but I stayed with n-rack 3.0 until the present day.

Reaper is my path forward for full plugin support.

--
Les Cargill
  #346  
Old April 29th 19, 02:20 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 604
Default Best digital music recording program

On Friday, April 26, 2019 at 10:57:58 PM UTC-4, Les Cargill wrote:

> > Try N Track studio
> >
> > https://ntrack.com/digital-audio-workstation.php
> >
> > I like the spectrum analyzer and EQ tools.
> >
> > m
> >

>
> I rather love n-track unconditionally but about seven years ago, I
> split my forces and went with Reaper.
>
> n-Track 3.x would generate MTC to where my old VF16 would chase it.
>
> 4.x, 5x and onward just wouldn't. I viewed that as an estimate
> of the determinism of the versions. Now we had no right to
> expect determinism of a Windows software package at all.
>
> SFAIK, Reaper never did drive the VF16. The VF16 died
> but I stayed with n-rack 3.0 until the present day.
>
> Reaper is my path forward for full plugin support.
>
> --
> Les Cargill


what is MTC? ? time code?

what is VF16?

m
  #347  
Old April 29th 19, 02:36 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 134
Default Best digital music recording program

makolber:
> On Friday, April 26, 2019 at 10:57:58 PM UTC-4, Les Cargill wrote:
>
>> > Try N Track studio
>> >
>> > https://ntrack.com/digital-audio-workstation.php
>> >
>> > I like the spectrum analyzer and EQ tools.
>> >

>>
>> I rather love n-track unconditionally but about seven years ago, I
>> split my forces and went with Reaper.
>>
>> n-Track 3.x would generate MTC to where my old VF16 would chase it.
>>
>> 4.x, 5x and onward just wouldn't. I viewed that as an estimate
>> of the determinism of the versions. Now we had no right to
>> expect determinism of a Windows software package at all.
>>
>> SFAIK, Reaper never did drive the VF16. The VF16 died
>> but I stayed with n-rack 3.0 until the present day.
>>
>> Reaper is my path forward for full plugin support.
>>
>> --
>> Les Cargill

>
> what is MTC? ? time code?


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTC

not listed there, but also existing:
MTC = Musik Tanz Club in Cologne, Germany, Europe

> what is VF16?


http://vf16.com

you do know, that "search engines" for the interweb exist? ;-)

SCNR

Phil
  #348  
Old May 5th 19, 09:53 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,362
Default Best digital music recording program

wrote:
> On Friday, April 26, 2019 at 10:57:58 PM UTC-4, Les Cargill wrote:
>
>>> Try N Track studio
>>>
>>>
https://ntrack.com/digital-audio-workstation.php
>>>
>>> I like the spectrum analyzer and EQ tools.
>>>
>>> m
>>>

>>
>> I rather love n-track unconditionally but about seven years ago, I
>> split my forces and went with Reaper.
>>
>> n-Track 3.x would generate MTC to where my old VF16 would chase it.
>>
>> 4.x, 5x and onward just wouldn't. I viewed that as an estimate
>> of the determinism of the versions. Now we had no right to
>> expect determinism of a Windows software package at all.
>>
>> SFAIK, Reaper never did drive the VF16. The VF16 died
>> but I stayed with n-rack 3.0 until the present day.
>>
>> Reaper is my path forward for full plugin support.
>>
>> --
>> Les Cargill

>
> what is MTC? ? time code?
>



Midi Time Code.

> what is VF16?
>


A Fostex VF16 was a self-contained harddisk recorder.

> m
>


--
Les Cargill
  #349  
Old May 8th 19, 10:37 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
nickbatz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 128
Default Best digital music recording program

Mike wrote:

"Sounds are as good as you want to pay for. What comes with the basic
program varies from blah to pretty good, and what's blah and what's good
depends on what you're looking for. "


You might be surprised at how good the stock sounds - and plug-ins - are these days.

I use Logic Pro X for most things *, and some of the synths in particular are really good - as you say, depending on what you're looking for. It's almost silly that it's only $200.

* Meaning that I use it for writing music and Pro Tools for anything that involves audio editing.

Flatfish wrote:

"The most obtuse and difficult DAW program I ever used was Emagic
Logic for the PC. Many years ago of course. I literally could not get
a squeak out of that one and actually had a student at the local
college help me set it up. What a bear albeit probably the most
powerful MIDI program at the time."

If I remember right you had to set some things up in the Environment back then. They've changed the interface a lot since Apple bought the company.

While there are layers and layers of features (and very few people know or use all of them), just the basics of recording and editing don't seem very complicated to me.
  #350  
Old May 8th 19, 10:52 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,501
Default Best digital music recording program

On 9/05/2019 9:37 AM, nickbatz wrote:
> Mike wrote:
>
> "Sounds are as good as you want to pay for. What comes with the basic
> program varies from blah to pretty good, and what's blah and what's good
> depends on what you're looking for. "
>
>
> You might be surprised at how good the stock sounds - and plug-ins - are these days.
>
> I use Logic Pro X for most things *, and some of the synths in particular are really good - as you say, depending on what you're looking for. It's almost silly that it's only $200.
>
> * Meaning that I use it for writing music and Pro Tools for anything that involves audio editing.
>
> Flatfish wrote:
>
> "The most obtuse and difficult DAW program I ever used was Emagic
> Logic for the PC. Many years ago of course. I literally could not get
> a squeak out of that one and actually had a student at the local
> college help me set it up. What a bear albeit probably the most
> powerful MIDI program at the time."
>
> If I remember right you had to set some things up in the Environment back then. They've changed the interface a lot since Apple bought the company.
>
> While there are layers and layers of features (and very few people know or use all of them), just the basics of recording and editing don't seem very complicated to me.
>



I've always found all the German-designed apps really non-intuitive to use.

geoff
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(TO EVERYONE)WHERE CAN I GET A DEMO DIGITAL RECORDING PROGRAM ONLINE? Johnny Calvin Audio Opinions 1 December 19th 03 06:08 PM
(TO EVERYONE)WHERE CAN I GET A DEMO DIGITAL RECORDING PROGRAM ONLINE? Johnny Calvin Pro Audio 4 December 19th 03 05:49 PM
(TO EVERYONE)WHERE CAN I GET A DEMO DIGITAL RECORDING PROGRAM ONLINE? Johnny Calvin General 0 December 19th 03 07:26 AM
(TO EVERYONE)WHERE CAN I GET A DEMO DIGITAL RECORDING PROGRAM ONLINE? Johnny Calvin Vacuum Tubes 0 December 19th 03 07:25 AM
(TO EVERYONE)WHERE CAN I GET A DEMO DIGITAL RECORDING PROGRAM ONLINE? Johnny Calvin Tech 0 December 19th 03 07:25 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 AudioBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.