Best new EL84 tubes?

Old April 2nd 19, 03:22 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes
LV

Default Best new EL84 tubes?

Thoughts?
Old April 2nd 19, 03:20 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck[_2_]

On Monday, April 1, 2019 at 10:22:08 PM UTC-4, LV wrote:
> Thoughts?

Not China first.
Anything else second.

Bottom-line, post-blight EL84 tubes are a mixed bag even from the so-called 'reliable' sources. And pre-blight tubes are easily found and not (yet) terribly expensive.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old April 2nd 19, 04:13 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 19:22:06 -0700 (PDT), LV >
wrote:

>Thoughts?

Brimar are producing valves again in the UK, using mostly the original
machines. They make very high quality EL84s.

https://brimaruk.com/valves/

Old April 2nd 19, 06:09 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck[_2_]

On Tuesday, April 2, 2019 at 11:13:13 AM UTC-4, Don Pearce wrote:

> Brimar are producing valves again in the UK, using mostly the original
> machines. They make very high quality EL84s.
>
> https://brimaruk.com/valves/

Good to know. Their survival in this aspect of the business will depend on their quality being sufficiently superior to their competition to justify the training and O,R&M necessary to hone the skills of their work force.

I wish them the best of luck!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old April 2nd 19, 07:08 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Paul Babiak

On 04/01/2019 10:22 PM, LV wrote:
> Thoughts?

6P14P-EV
Old April 2nd 19, 09:24 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison[_4_]

Don Pearce wrote:

> Brimar are producing valves again in the UK, using mostly the original
> machines. They make very high quality EL84s.
>
> https://brimaruk.com/valves/

** According to the link, " Brimar Thermionic Products " are NOT producing any valves in the UK at all.

Rather, they import valves and sell from China and Russia like other firms have been doing for decades.

The site alludes to a pious hope that one day they MAY be make some types themselves.

..... Phil

Old April 3rd 19, 01:57 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes
LV

Phil, your advice rocks ! Thanks for everyone's opinions. What about the JJs?
Old April 3rd 19, 02:50 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison[_4_]

LV wrote:

> Phil, your advice rocks !

** Does it?

> What about the JJs?

** I service a lot of guitar amps, many of them using EL84 output tubes.

JJ is a good brand, but so are Sovtek and Electro Harmonix - high failure rate with EL84s is due to BAD amplifier design, not the valves.

Most recent models from PV, Fender and VOX run their EL84s waaayyyy too hot and burn them out in short order.

One needs to modify the bias circuitry and the are a couple of ways to do this - depending if the amp uses grid or cathode bias.

Plate dissipation per valve needs to be brought back to 8 or 9 watts, not 14 or 15.

..... Phil